RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

What do the Vikings have to do with anything?

"Stevetarded" wrote:

The reason why I brought up the Vikings is that would people say that the Vikings record of 2-3 should be excused somewhat because of injuries?

Also, we're playing the Vikings AT home next week. The Vikings have significant injuries as well, Lito Sheppard is playing. Cedric Griffen is a big loss, so is their safety issues. Same with Rice and Sullivan. Plus Shanicoe is clearly hurt and if Favre's injury is real, so is he.

My point was simply that can we once again point at injuries if we lose to another fairly injured team at home?

Also I find it ironic that a lot of us hated on Grant and Barnett all these years and now we miss them, lol. Be careful what you wish for I guess.
blank
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago

An excuse would be "If we didn't have all the injuries we'd be 6 - 0!". Or "If the officials would stop bagging on the Packers, we'd have won!".

I don't think many, if any, are saying that. I think what we're saying is, with all the injuries, we're still in the game, but just not getting it done with what we have. Which is very transparent.

And others are saying we need better coaching and smarter players who don't commit as many boneheaded penalties.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "excuse", I forgot how technical it gets on here sometimes (ala the word "peaked" in that other thread), lol.

I just mean that the injuries have masked fatal flaws in the Packers (such as the need for better coaching or smarter players). If the end of the year, we finish like 6-10 do we let go of Mike McCarthy or do we say "naw, it was the injuries". I am of the view, that we looked like crap even before the injuries, so I hope these injuries don't blind judgments about MM's performance.

IMO, regardless, I'd give him one more year because I believe he still has a winning record?

Also, Zero change your avatar thing, Driver sucks - Nm, I'm an idiot, its Jennings, well... j/k
blank
hardrocker950
13 years ago
I agree that injuries have made it tough on this team, but I also agree that there are other factors to figure. I won't list them since most of them that I saw are listed above.
I think even with our current roster we should be 5-1 or better. There are still guys on the field that can make things happen, but coaching staff needs to work with the current players strengths rather than the starters. The gameplan has to adjust depending on your opponent, and I have not seen this all year. I know its easy to coach from the couch, but to be fair - we see the weaknesses in the other team so why doesn't the coaching staff?
warhawk
13 years ago

Well, injuries aside, our D held the Dolphins to 20 points in regulation. You said nearly every key position is being played by 2nd-to-3rd string players on D. Yet the D did an outstanding job, especially considering the time Henne had to throw the ball. Wish Rodgers had that much time.

Injuries are an explanation. I'm not arguing that.

What I'm not buying is injuries are the reason we lost in Miami. I think the reason is simply our O failed to put up more than 20 points in regulation at home against an average team. That's not acceptable, even with the future perennial Pro Bowler Finley out and our #1 RB out.

We still have playmakers in Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Jackson has progressed a lot. While he's still no Ryan Grant, I still wonder why we don't utilize Jackson in screens more. I still don't get why we don't try to setup more YAC opportunities more. And lastly, I don't understand why Mike McCarthy hasn't changed the gameplan to get passes off faster as it's obvious our OL sucks and Aaron is taking too many hits.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

So how many points do the Dolphins score if our guys were in there? With Barnett, Burnett, Chillar, Picket, Neal, and, Mathews I say their lucky to hit 10.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
13 years ago

So how many points do the Dolphins score if our guys were in there? With Barnett, Burnett, Chillar, Picket, Neal, and, Mathews I say their lucky to hit 10.

"warhawk" wrote:

I'm not impressed with Henne. Had we had CM3 in there, we could have had a drive killing sack. Had Nick Barnett and Ryan Pickett been in there, they wouldn't have been running 39 times on us.

10 may be realistic. Yet still, not the problem. We gotta be able to score more than 20 points at home against average teams.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
4PackGirl
13 years ago
our D played good? wait...our D...played...good?? they made henne look like a future HOF'er out there. not a bit of pressure. i'd love to know how much time woodson spent on his ass during that game. williams had an int but the rest of the game we had NO answer to the pass OR run.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

our D played good? wait...our D...played...good?? they made henne look like a future HOF'er out there. not a bit of pressure. i'd love to know how much time woodson spent on his ass during that game. williams had an int but the rest of the game we had NO answer to the pass OR run.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Considering we didn't have soon-to-be perennial Pro Bowler CM3 playing as well as our starting MLB (now ILB) since 2003, our Pro Bowl CB on the PUP list, and our starting SS out, we played pretty well. We only allowed 20 points in regulation and stopped them in one drive (to which our O responded by going 3 and out) in OT.

We gotta score more than 20 points at home.

And no, Henne still wasn't that impressive. If the Dolphins had a real QB, we would have been in trouble.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
4PackGirl
13 years ago
i know we missed CM3 ALOT! but the other players have got to step it up. like i said, woodson spent most of his day on his ass, sliding here & there. he's supposed to be one of our 'premiere' players, right? good teams overcome adversity & pull themselves together. that's what i'm hoping for against the queens. i know we've got injured players but if you're playing in the NFL - even 3rd string - you should have the ability to step in & do the f'in job.
porky88
13 years ago
Football is a situational sport and injuries do matter during certain circumstances.

Plug in Ryan Pickett and tell me the Dolphins beat the Packers. I don't see it. They ran right at Green Bay's front all game long to control the clock and kept Aaron Rodgers off the field. They were able to double team B.J. Raji or Cullen Jenkins as a result of Pickett not playing. They were able to get their lineman to the second level and on a LB like Hawk or Bishop.

Someone brought up no Clay Matthews in a different thread. You think Chad Henne isn't sacked once without Clay Matthews? Even if Matthews doesn't get the sack, he needs to be accounted for. Therefor, he can open things up for someone else. It isn't a coincidence that Cullen Jenkins and B.J. Raji play better when Matthews is on the field.

Furthermore, the Packers have not played the Vikings. The comparison is not valid until Sunday night. The Packers played the Dolphins and the Dolphins game planned accordingly. We'll see what Minnesota does, but what people are saying about Minnesota's injuries is irrelevant to the Packers.

Yes, there are times when people oversell the injuries. Injuries didn't cost the Packers the games against Chicago or Washington. Coaching, execution and penalties did.

However, I did not see a problem with the coaching, execution or penalties against Miami. I did, however, see a team completely undermanned.
British
13 years ago

What is the difference between an excuse and an explanation? Sounds like semantical hairsplitting to me.

Are the having an effect or are they not? If they are, does it really matter if it's an excuse or an explanation?

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

To me, it comes down to who's talking. One could argue that the folks running the team saying "but look at the injuries!" would be trying to excuse the losses and general messy play - I wouldn't make that argument, but it could be made. At least it's their job to explain these things and try to make improvements.

I, on the other hand, am just a fan. It's not my job to explain what's going on; I have only to try to make some sense of it, and that's if I choose to do so. So when I use my eyes and my brain and conclude that it's kind of hard to play winning football with nearly every key position being played by 2nd-to-3rd string players (certainly this is the case on the defense), I think that's an explanation.

Personally, those throwing the "excuse" mantra around have their own agendas - they're also the ones who least like the current regime. "Other teams have injuries!" Yes, they do - how many, and at what positions? Are they winning despite those injuries? These questions aren't asked, because the answers would weaken the position that Thompson and McCarthy are truly to blame for a slow start.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Two great posts.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (16h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (17h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (20h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (20h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.