cheeseheads123
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Third-Down-Woes-Continue/f05bc3e4-441f-4247-8aa7-64745870ee2f 

After a 2-for-13 performance on third down in an overtime loss at Washington last Sunday, improvement for Green Bays offense in that area was a priority this week against the Dolphins.

But for the second week in a row, those struggles continued, with the unit converting only 3-of-13 times (23.1 percent) on Sunday against Miami, bringing the two-game total to 5-of-26 (19.2 percent). For the season Green Bay has been successful only 36.3 percent of the time on third down (25-of-69), a significant dip from the 2009 squad that ranked No. 3 in the league with a 47.0 conversion rate.

Youve got to sustain drives, youve got to get in the red zone, give yourself opportunities to score more points, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. Its just about finding a rhythm for us. When youre not converting those third downs, there is no rhythm.

The lack of rhythm on offense was evident on Sunday, especially in the first three quarters, when Green Bays average drive length on seven possessions was just 4.4 plays, compared to a fourth quarter that saw the offense put together a pair of 12-play drives, one that ended in a field goal and the other with a touchdown.

The average in the opening three quarters was skewed a bit because of a one-play drive that was comprised of an 86-yard touchdown pass from Rodgers to Jennings late in the first quarter and a one-play series at the end of the half when the Packers took a knee to run out the clock, but the issues were evident on the other possessions.

Of the other five drives, one was a three-and-out, two were impacted heavily by sacks that put the offense in challenging down-and-distance situations, and one ended after five plays on a third-down interception. Rodgers was sacked a season-high five times on Sunday afternoon, and three penalties on the offensive line, false-start calls on guards Daryn Colledge and Josh Sitton in the second quarter and a holding penalty on tackle Bryan Bulaga in the fourth quarter, contributed to the long-yardage situations for the offense.

Were not putting ourselves in position to be successful on third down, which means we are not doing the things we need to do on first and second down, wide receiver Greg Jennings said. Its collective. There is no one position, there is none of that. Its everybody.

We have got to sustain drives, get (the defense) fresh so they can do their job to their full potential. But if we are out there going three-and-out, three-and-out and a couple of plays here, make a play here and then turnover on downs, we are not helping our defense at all.

What made the Packers struggles on third down even more puzzling was they actually converted at a better clip when they needed 10 yards or more, picking up first downs three of the seven times they needed 10 or more yards on third down. The flip side of that was that the offense failed to pick up a single first down on six opportunities where they needed to pick up 7 yards or fewer, including four where they needed to gain 4 yards or less. That had been the Packers pattern this season entering Sundays game, as it had converted on just 45 percent of third-down opportunities when they needed 4 yards or fewer (9-of-20) in the first five games.

There will be someone doing one thing wrong on a play, and this is the one sport where you have to have everybody on the same page, Sitton said. You have to have all 11 on the same page, and we have just been inconsistent.

We had some manageable third downs throughout the whole game. Obviously there were some third-and-longs that you dont really expect to get, but we had our opportunities on third-and-short, third-and-3, third-and-4, and we didnt convert a few times. We have to convert those.

One of the more crucial ones came early in the fourth quarter with the Packers trailing 13-10. Facing a third-and-3 at the Miami 8, Rodgers rolled out and missed on a pass to wide receiver Jordy Nelson inside the 5-yard line, and Green Bay had to settle for a Mason Crosby 26-yard field goal instead of taking the lead.

It was slightly outside of where I wanted it unfortunately, Rodgers said. We had a good play call. Drive (Donald Driver) kind of went inside and I kind of moved to my right a little bit. Jordy and I were on the same page. He got out of his route quickly and I might have missed my spot a little bit.

I think unfortunately if we get seven (points) there it is a different game obviously.

And with the Packers three losses this season all being close ones, each of them by three points, one more conversion on third down can be the difference in the final outcome.

I thought we had a number of favorable third downs and we had opportunities where our defense was on the field, I thought they were hanging in there, bend do not break, keep them out of the end zone, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. And we had opportunities to get out in front of that game. And third down has been an issue two weeks in a row. So we need to do a better job on third down on offense.

This seems to be the biggest problem with our offense.

6/14 Week 1
7/12 Week 2
4/10 Week 3
3/7 Week 4
2/13 Week 5
3/13 Week 6

8/33 since week 4 ouch
UserPostedImage
cheeseheads123
13 years ago
Oops didn't mean to post this in the videos section lol
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (21m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (22m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.