Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101020/PKR01/101020164/Capers-reevaluates-how-to-attack-Favre-Vikings-offense 

One thing is for sure as the Green Bay Packers prepare for the Minnesota Vikings this week: Defensive coordinator Dom Capers has to find a better way to defend Brett Favre.

Last year, Capers went coverage-oriented instead of blitz heavy in both games of the Vikings crucial season sweep. He did it in part to defend halfback Adrian Peterson, in part because of injuries at safety, and in part because of concern that Favre was too likely to gash blitzes for backbreaking plays.

In the two games combined, Minnesota put up 68 points and Favre was the difference: seven touchdown passes, no interceptions and a passer rating of 135.9 points.

That on the surface should incline Capers toward using more pressure this time.

I dont know what Dom has in mind, I have no idea, defensive end Ryan Pickett said. But Im sure it will be something different than what we did.

On the other hand, Minnesota hasnt been the same offensive power this season as last, and its offensive line has had serious issues protecting Favre.

The Vikings, who finished second in the NFL in scoring last year, are tied for No. 26 this season for several reasons.

Favre at 41 is showing his age more than last year, and thats been compounded by tendinitis in his throwing arm that materially hurt his passing accuracy against the New York Jets two weeks ago. He had a cortisone injection last week, and his arm was feeling good enough Wednesday in practice that he abandoned the protective sleeve in practice he wore last week.

I would say at this point its gotten a little bit better than it was a couple weeks ago, Favre said in a conference call with reporters in Green Bay. It was obviously bad enough to take a cortisone injection, but right now I feel like its not a hindrance at all.

Regardless, Favres 72.1 passer rating ranks No. 28 in the NFL, and hes already thrown as many interceptions (seven) as all of last season playing behind a leaky offensive line and without his favorite receiver, Sidney Rice.

The decline of the Vikings offensive line has been as big an issue as any. Both tackles, Phil Loadholdt on the right side and Bryant McKinnie on the left, have been shaky, and Favre has taken a beating through five games. Hes been sacked 13 times, which is a pace of 42 sacks for the season. Last year he was sacked 34 times.

In the two games in 09, the Packers didnt sack Favre at all using mostly coverage-oriented calls, but after having watched this years game tapes Capers might have decided he can get to Favre without having to blitz. Conversely, he might blitz more if he thinks Favres reactions have slowed to where hes less likely to hit on a big play, or in an effort to hit Favre so that in the second half hes like a worn out old fighter whos taken too many body blows.

You obviously have to get pressure on the guy, you have to disrupt him, cornerback Tramon Williams said. If not, its going to be a long day, just like last year.

Clay Matthews status also will play a major role. Matthews, who leads the NFL in sacks with 8, looks like he has a good chance of playing Sunday after missing last weeks game against Miami because of a recurring hamstring injury. His profound impact on the Packers defense has been obvious in the five-plus quarters hes missed, and as a potential mismatch against Loadholdt or McKinnie he probably would command regular double teams.

But Capers will have to be just as attuned to defending Peterson, a premier halfback who is averaging 25.4 touches a game and 4.9 yards a carry.

Last year, the Vikings force-fed Peterson with 25 runs in each game against the Packers. His 3.0-yard average and 152 rushing yards combined was more than manageable but came at the expense of Favres difference-making play.

The Vikings often use a three-receiver lineup, which will get the Packers out of their stout 3-4 front and into a nickel defense thats more vulnerable to the run. The Packers also might not have Pickett, a formidable run defender who hasnt played the last two games because of a badly sprained ankle. However, nose tackle B.J. Raji has become one of their better defensive players after a low-impact rookie season that was diminished by an ankle injury the first half of the year.

Peterson has been even more of the focus of the Vikings offense this year than last, and Minnesota figures to use him extensively Sunday last week against Dallas, the Vikings appeared to be protecting Favres sore arm, because he threw only 19 passes. So Capers plan still has to start with the run, which is why Minnesota can be difficult to defend if Favre is playing well.

We have to find a way to stop (Peterson) and at the same time keep our hair on fire and get to Favre, Pickett said.

Favre also has been hurt by Rices season-long absence, though now that Randy Moss is in his third game with the team, his on-field rapport with Favre could click at any time. Rice, who had hip surgery in training camp and probably wont be back for several more weeks, caught 83 passes last season and was an especially attractive target for Favre because of his ability at 6-feet-4 to get jump-ball throws.

Moss has nine receptions in his two games with the Vikings and is the best at the NFL catching the deep, contested pass. Flanker Percy Harvin also has become a bigger part of the offense in his second season (team-high 20 receptions).

Im even more impressed with (Moss) as Ive gotten a chance to work with him and how intelligent he is, Favre said. Randys Randy, and he has his moments, but hes such a dynamic player.

Dom is Brett's bitch, there's nothing that can be done about it. Rest our wounded and take the lump! 🙂

PS, I played this game last night, 51 - 10. I scored 30 points in the 4th after I knocked Brett out of the game with a overloaded blitz with Clay. Tavaris threw two pick 6's after that. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Packers' defense knows it must bring down QB 
By Greg A. Bedard

Green Bay When Brett Favre returns to Lambeau Field in the white and purple of the Minnesota Vikings for the second consecutive season, it's hard not to make the matchup about the melodrama.

Favre vs. the Packers.

Favre vs. Aaron Rodgers.

Favre vs. Ted Thompson.

But come Sunday night, the most important matchup, as was the case in both meetings last season, will be between the man with the headset and call sheet in the Packers coaches booth and the 41-year-old gunslinger.

There's really no way around it: Favre has the number of Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers. Big time.

Favre is a perfect 8-0 when facing a team or defense directed by Capers, who previously coordinated the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins and was head coach of the Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans.

Favre's average numbers against Capers are 21 of 34 for 281 yards, three touchdowns and one interception for a passer rating of 107.1.

"I had forgotten all about that," Capers joked this week. "Every game is a new game, every year is a new year. Your team changes, too. Our team has changed a lot from the first game of the season here."

It's going to matter more whether Capers' unit has improved over last season.

In the two games against the Packers, Favre was 41 of 59 (69.5%) for 515 yards and seven touchdowns (135.9 rating).

Perhaps the most telling stat was that Favre wasn't sacked in either game against the Packers, something that happened just one other time last season, the finale against the New York Giants.

Even worse, the Packers hardly bothered Favre. He was knocked down just seven times in 59 attempts. Favre was hurried twice and had one ball batted down.

The Packers know they must bring more pressure against Favre this time.

"I think it's vital," said end Ryan Pickett. "We have to get pressure on Brett. I don't think we sacked him. That definitely can't happen if we want to win. We have to get pressure on the quarterback, we have to get him down, we have to get some sacks."

The question is: How will Capers get pressure on Favre this time?

The Packers were caught a bit off-guard when Favre joined the Vikings in training camp in 2009. The game plan designed in the offseason, and even into training camp, did not include Favre.

In the first meeting, Green Bay was caught shorthanded with personnel as well. When safety Atari Bigby was not available for the game because of an injury, it thrust Derrick Martin - for whom the team had traded just a few weeks earlier - into a starting role.

Capers obviously didn't feel comfortable pressuring Favre much with such an inexperienced player in the back end.

On Favre's 31 attempts at the Metrodome, Capers rushed five or more players just five times (16.7%).

In the second matchup, at Lambeau and with Bigby back and all the starters in the lineup, Capers nearly doubled his blitz percentage to 29.6 as he sent more than four rushers eight times in 28 attempts.

Still, the Packers didn't hurry Favre once in his homecoming and he hummed along as the Vikings quieted the Packers faithful by jumping out to a 24-3 lead in the third quarter.

The Vikings have added receiver Randy Moss, so that gives the Packers one more option to think about in addition to holdovers Adrian Peterson (running back), Percy Harvin (receiver) and Visanthe Shiancoe (tight end).

"We've got to find a way to make the plays, so whatever that takes," Capers said. "This team is a lot more than just Brett Favre. You have Peterson sitting back there, and now they've got Moss. You saw what Harvin did (on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys). He's a weapon."

Capers also knows that Favre, like most veteran quarterbacks, is better when he's blitzed. Favre is experienced enough to know where the pressure is coming and where the defense has left itself vulnerable.

So in all likelihood, Sunday's game is going to come down to how often the Packers win their one-on-one battles up front.

However they do it, the Packers know they must get to Favre and get him down - repeatedly if possible. With Favre at quarterback, the Vikings are 10-1 when he's sacked two times or fewer. They are 4-6 when he's dropped three or more times.

"You've seen some of the games where they've gotten some pressure on him and games where they haven't," said end Cullen Jenkins. "You can definitely see the difference in him back there in the pocket, and we'd like to go out there and be able to get a lot of pressure on him."

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
Capers will use the Zombo knife to carve #4 like a pumpkin.
Since69
13 years ago
You're not much of a cheerleader, you know that, Z?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Since69" wrote:

We couldn't stop a Randy Moss'less Vikings team twice last year. I haven't seen any improvements in our defense, other than Clay.

If Clay is full go, I think he can change the game in our favor.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

We couldn't stop a Randy Moss'less Vikings team twice last year. I haven't seen any improvements in our defense, other than Clay.

"Since69" wrote:

Yes.

Our whole defense pretty much stands and falls with Clay being healthy, as we have no pass rushing threats on the team next to him.

At least, not from the OLB position.

Raji's good at collapsing the pocket, but you just can't rely on a NT to get a pass rush going on the QB. At least, not if they're not called Jay Ratliff.

That leaves you with Cullen Jenkins, since Pickett won't exactly get to the QB either. And he obviously can't do it all by himself.

Having a line with Jenkins - Raji - Neal and having Matthews behind that will be our key to victory. Especially with Pickett coming in as a rotational player or just someone who eats up blocks on regular downs.

If we still have 3 of those 5 key players injured, though, we might be screwed.

PS. Jerry Hughes. Still.
Greg C.
13 years ago
I'm not much of a cheerleader either, at least not this week. I think the Vikings are a better team right now and they will win. They are returning to last year's form while the Packers are still stuck in early season screw-up mode, due largely to injuries and the age of their OTs.

It won't matter what Dom Capers does. Favre is still one of the best QBs at beating the blitz, and the Packers are not a very good blitzing team anyway. And if Pickett can't play, the defense will be soft in the middle again, as it was against the Dolphins. This is looking like a bad game for the Packers.
blank
bigfog
13 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes.

Our whole defense pretty much stands and falls with Clay being healthy, as we have no pass rushing threats on the team next to him.

At least, not from the OLB position.

Raji's good at collapsing the pocket, but you just can't rely on a NT to get a pass rush going on the QB. At least, not if they're not called Jay Ratliff.

That leaves you with Cullen Jenkins, since Pickett won't exactly get to the QB either. And he obviously can't do it all by himself.

Having a line with Jenkins - Raji - Neal and having Matthews behind that will be our key to victory. Especially with Pickett coming in as a rotational player or just someone who eats up blocks on regular downs.

If we still have 3 of those 5 key players injured, though, we might be screwed.

PS. Jerry Hughes. Still.

"Since69" wrote:

Unfortunately, Neal's been ruled out for this game already.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
With all our injuries I think it's a lot to ask the defense to win close games. I would sellout rushing Favre and hope for the best. If we can force a couple of mistakes we could out score them.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
I think we are giving the Vikings too much credit. They did lose to the same Dolphins team we lost to at home. They have a bunch of key injuries too - CBs and Safeties - Lito Sheppard will probably get significant time at CB and we should pick on him.

But the main reason is that they suck on the Road, they were 4-4 last year and are 0-2 this year.

We "should" win at home. If we were playing @ Vikings, I think they kill us but on the road, they suck.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Packers Draft Threads / beast

56m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

14h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.