Zero2Cool
13 years ago

The_Yankees_Lose

;)

"Formo" wrote:

That a knock on The_Green_Ninja? LOL

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

LoL, that got you 69'd.

Okay, you set me up on that one, asshole!!
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
13 years ago
The "buying a championship" argument is so far beyond ridiculous, it's beyond words. I think the 1979-1995, 2001-2008 Yankees proved that it's garbage, along with the 1918-2004 Red Sox and the Cubs from 0-present day. When paying a guy more than another team did guarantees a championship, I'll buy everyone here a coke. If that was true, the Rangers would have made it to the World Series a long time ago when they had ARod. I thought it was funny when ARod got up to bat and the Texas crowd booed him. ARod leaving Texas was the absolute best thing that could have possibly happened to the Rangers. If they still had ARod, he'd probably have 2 more MVPs while they stayed at the bottom of the AL.

The Steinbrenners aren't even among the top ten richest owners in the league. All but maybe a handful of MLB teams could pay players what the Yankees do, but they don't want to dip into their own profits to do it. At least the Steinbrenners put their money back into the game, unlike 90% of the other owners in the league. Every owner around the league LOVES the Yankees, cause they take contracts off their hands and that in turn puts more money into the owners' pockets. Don't blame the Yankees for your team being lousy. Blame your owners for not wanting to pony up the cash to put together a decent team. They like to pretend they can't afford it and then you get what happened with the Marlins, where it turns out they had more than enough profit to pay for their new stadium AND keep their good players tenfold, yet they got the tax payers to think they were broke. Not to mention the Yankees aren't always the highest bidder for free agents.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

The "buying a championship" argument is so far beyond ridiculous, it's beyond words.

You're ridiculous and naive, enjoy.
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
13 years ago

The "buying a championship" argument is so far beyond ridiculous, it's beyond words.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You're ridiculous and naive, enjoy.

Naive? Wow. I think it's more naive to think if you throw money at a problem, it's automatically fixed. You, sir, enjoy!
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Forbes' Top 10
Major League Baseball's 10 most valuable franchises, according to Forbes. 

Rank    Team         Value ($ mil)
1 	Yankees 	1,600
2 	Red Sox 	870
3 	Mets 	        858
4 	Dodgers 	727
5 	Cubs            726
6 	Phillies 	537
7 	Angels      	521
8 	Cardinals 	488
9 	Giants      	483
10 	White Sox 	466
League average 		491

link 
The New York Yankees have been listed by Forbes as Major League Baseball's most valuable franchise for the 13th straight year, as the financial magazine released its annual valuations of the sport on Wednesday.

Forbes valued the defending World Series champions as being worth $1.6 billion, $730 million more than the next-most valuable franchise, the Boston Red Sox ($870 million). The New York Mets were identified as the sport's third-most valuable franchise, at $858 million.

The Yankees declined to comment regarding Forbes' valuations.

The current figures do not include the organization's other holdings, which include the YES Network and Legends Hospitality Management.

How much money an owner or a group has outside the MLB team does not have as much to do with how much it spent on players as what the franchise is worht and how much it can generate in revenue.

Most of the teams in the top 10 list would never see a return on investment if they spent like the Yankees do even if they won the WS every single year. The Steinbrenners spend the money because they are in NYC and have the revenue stream to recoup what they spend.

Wall Street Journal 
In North American sports, the Yankees are alone in having a singular ability to set the market for player salaries. They have vast revenuenearly $400 million in tickets aloneand take advantage of baseball's largely free-market salary structure. The Yankees' lineup this season included the highest paid first baseman, shortstop, third baseman, designated hitter, starting pitcher and closer.

Steve Phillips, the former general manager of the New York Mets, said baseball executives will enter the offseason assuming the Yankees will be involved in the bidding for every major player who is available, even if they don't want them.

2010 Attendance	Home	
RK	TEAM	GMS	TOTAL	
1	NY Yankees	81	3,765,807	
2	Philadelphia	81	3,647,249	
3	LA Dodgers	81	3,562,320	
4	St. Louis	81	3,301,218	
5	LA Angels	81	3,250,814	
6	Minnesota	81	3,223,640	
7	Chicago Cubs	81	3,062,973	
8	Boston		81	3,046,445	
9	San Fran	81	3,037,443	
10	Colorado	80	2,875,245	
11	Milwaukee	81	2,776,531	
12	NY Mets	       79	  2,559,738	
13	Atlanta      	81	2,510,119	
14	Texas		81	2,505,171	
15	Detroit	        81	2,461,237	
16	Houston    	81	2,331,490	
17	Chicago Sox	81	2,194,378	
18	San Diego	81	2,131,774	
19	Seattle		81	2,085,168	
20	Cincinnati	81	2,060,551	
21	Arizona     	81	2,056,519	
22	Tampa Bay	81	1,864,999	
23	Washington	81	1,828,066	
24	Baltimore	80	1,733,018	
25	Kansas City	80	1,615,327	
26	Toronto    	81	1,625,555	
27	Pittsburgh	81	1,613,399	
28	Florida     	81	1,524,894	
29	Oakland    	81	1,418,391	
30	Cleveland	80	1,391,644	

I was looking for the gross revenue for the teams but I can not find it.

Very long story short- Even if Bill Gates owned Pittsburgh and stocked the team with all stars at every position, Pittsburgh would never be able to generate the revenue that the Yankees can generate simply because of of the size difference of the cities and fan base.
St Louis does a pretty good job of getting fans from all over the Midwest to come to the games but they still will never match the attendance of the Yankees.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Naive? Wow. I think it's more naive to think if you throw money at a problem, it's automatically fixed. You, sir, enjoy!

"nathaniel" wrote:

lol, what do you think the Yankees do? They can't farm worth a damn, minus Jeter of course. They need hitting, they buy it. They need pitching, they buy it.

ENJOYED! 😛
UserPostedImage
CDNRodgersfan
13 years ago
And that's why I don't care for baseball or think it's a real team sport. You can go buy a guy a day before the playoffs, plop him in there and he can succeed. Who needs chemistry, everyone hated Barry Bonds but that did nothing to stop him from putting up big #'s. Like was said money may not buy championships but it will give you enough chances that you're bound to win some
nathaniel
13 years ago
My mistake was naming the Steinbrenners, when I really should have said the organization as a whole, so forgive me. But still, you basically just proved my point. With $400,000,000 in ticket sales alone, don't you think they SHOULD attempt to put the best team they can on the field? What if they didn't put a dime of that money towards players? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you put that money in your pockets, you're greedy...if you spend it on players, you're greedy. At least the money is being put back into the game, which was my point.

I'm not for a second saying the Yankees don't make money or don't pay their players a ridiculous amount. And by ridiculous, I mean $81 mil for a complete bust (Burnett and his brand new change-up). I guess the main argument I'm trying to make that isn't getting across is it matters squat how much you pay a player. If you base rate of success for a player based on how much they're paid, ARod would have been the MVP for the last 10 years. Teix could have taken more money had he gone to the Nationals, but he took less in NY. Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you're going to say that the Yankees bought their championship last year, then you also have to say they bought their way out of a playoff spot in 2008 and they bought their ass-whoopin' in the 2004 ALCS. Make sure you blame the Mets, Red Sox and Cubs for spending, as well. Other than the Red Sox, those teams have had little success spending huge amounts on payroll. I've watched too many Yankees games this season to buy any argument that they had the best team money could buy. They may have been the highest paid team in MLB but they weren't the best, by far.
blank
nathaniel
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

lol, what do you think the Yankees do? They can't farm worth a damn, minus Jeter of course. They need hitting, they buy it. They need pitching, they buy it.

ENJOYED! :P

"nathaniel" wrote:

Yeah, you just proved my point! The Yankees had the highest payroll in baseball this year, but where are they right now? Lets be honest, if Minnesota had Morneau and Joe Nathan, there's a very very strong chance the NY doesn't get out of the first round. Everyone wants the Yankees to stop spending money on players so their team can pick up said players, but it's not guarantee that you're gonna win championships. It worked real well for the Yankees until last year, right? With that kind of money, you'd expect to win every year, but it doesn't happen. That's what I've been trying to say this whole time.

As far as the farm system goes...Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, Jorge Posada, Robinson Cano. Yeah, it's not the best farm system, but when they get one right it usually works out pretty well, haha!
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Some teams have more money than others and they use it to buy what they can't farm. It's not a luxury every team has, therefore should be negated.

ENJOYED!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.