British
13 years ago
...LB Diryal Briggs from Denver.

The Green Bay Packers have claimed linebacker Diryal Briggs off waivers from the Denver Broncos.

Briggs was cut by the Broncos on Monday.

They had intended to sign him to their practice squad, but the Packers put in a claim for the former Bowling Green linebacker.

Briggs was cut by the San Francisco 49ers earlier this season.

Briggs, 24, was signed by the 49ers last year as an undrafted free agent.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder was a two-time All-Mid-American Conference selection.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
Does he play OLB or ILB? I know Denver employs a 3-4 so that's a positive.
Pack93z
13 years ago
Intensity and hustle.. hope this blogger has hit on this kid.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/8/17/1627164/49ers-training-camp-lb-diyral 

49ers LB Diyral Briggs didn't have the flashiest game as far as the stat line is concerned. He was in on a couple tackles, and had an interception. But he showed an awful lot of intensity and hustle out there. There's not a whole lot I can say about what he did as far as the stats go, but there's a lot to be said about other things concerning his play.

He's doing whatever it takes to make the roster. Last year, he looked good in the preseason rushing the passer. He had some good moves, and that was to be expected, as Bowling Green's leading player in quarterback sacks. The problem though, he was just too small and was very situational. There was no place for him on the roster. That, of course, changed and he was elevated from the practice squad late in the season, and played in a few games.

Cue the offseason, and cue some very hard rook from the guy. He put on weight, and put on some muscle. Enough muscle, in fact, to play at defensive end for a good portion of the second half against the Colts. I would never have guessed he would/should be playing a defensive end position if you'd have asked me last season. I'd have told you to jog on or something else delightfully British like that. Let's look at the significance of that after the jump, shall we?

Star-divide

As stated above, he played on the defensive line for a good portion of the game. This is a definite good sign. The better sign? He played it pretty darn good. He didn't register any stats in that regard, but he made his way into the backfield and stood up a runner more than once. He had a lot of speed off of the snap and made his presence felt against some good offensive linemen.

So he can rush the passer standing up straight and from the line, and seems to be very solid in stopping the run from either position. He showed good speed from the linebacker position. He couldn't save the touchdown on one play that had to be reviewed, but he definitely looked good getting over there (nowhere near his assignment to be in the area prior to the snap) and most certainly looked good actually laying on the hit.

So I was impressed with his intensity, his speed, his strength, his size... what else? Oh yeah, the interception. Now, he fumbled on the play, so he's at least comparable in running back skill to Adrian Peterson.. right? Right? Alright, maybe not, but the fumble notwithstanding, which he can work on, it spoke volumes that an undrafted guy who came into the game as an afterthought was in good enough position to do that, and had the desire to take the ball all the way.

I'm pretty happy with that. Briggs always reminded me a little bit of Ahmad Brooks - but in his second season, he appears to be much further along than Brooks was at this point in his career. I think we're all on the Brooks bandwagon, and hope he can produce this year. People have been saying that Brooks makes Manny Lawson expendable after or perhaps during the season.

Does Diyral Briggs coming on like this make him even more expendable? Would folks feel comfortable with Ahmad Brooks starting at the left outside linebacker position with Diyral Briggs backing him up? Perhaps some think that Briggs should start over Brooks, even?

I've been adamant that I do not want Manny Lawson gone. He does a lot of the little things that make a defense good. But if Briggs keeps coming on strong, I just might not be so opposed to a position battle between him and Brooks. Worth a thought, I suppose. Oh, and a poll as well.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
13 years ago
Former DE in college converted to outside backer.. strong off the edge... 4.6 speed and strong..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
jdog2
13 years ago
The Packers just need bodies
blank
djcubez
13 years ago
Some quick googling:

Briggs was signed to the squad earlier this season after being released by San Francisco. He was brought onto the 49ers last season as an undrafted free agent out of Bowling Green. He accumulated two assisted tackles in four games of work in 2009. Dont expect this to be just a warm body fill in however, Briggs has been referred to in NFL circles as a very promising young player.

Source 

* Has good mobility and reach. A good athlete who possesses the speed and strength to pick up the run game and make plays in pursuit.
* Not an instinctive reactor. Doesn't read quarterbacks well and tends to give too much space to receivers in the middle. Not a pure tackler.

Source 

Every year 80 players are allowed to be on NFL rosters at the start of training camp and the goal for everyone is to earn their way onto the final 53. Throughout camp, 49ers.com will highlight some of our newcomers and their Road to the Roster. Heres the fifth installment of our Road to the Roster series with 49ers outside linebacker Diyral Briggs.

Its hard enough to make a big impression when youre an undrafted rookie vying for playing time in training camp.

But on two different occasions, undrafted rookie Diyral Briggs name was said by Takeo Spikes and Patrick Willis when they were asked by the media which young player had impressed them the most in camp.

To me, thats an honor, Briggs said. The two of those guys noticing me, makes me know that Im doing my job.

The support from Spikes was especially meaningful to Briggs. Being a native of Cincinnati, Briggs grew up watching Spikes while he was playing with the Bengals.

A guy like Takeo, I used to watch him play and now its great that Im able to play next to him, Briggs said. For these guys to mention me, it makes me feel great. It makes me want to keep going a lot harder.

Briggs will have one final opportunity this preseason to impress Spikes, Willis, but more importantly the 49ers coaching staff. After Fridays game against the San Diego Chargers, the rosters will be reduced to the final 53.

The 6-4, 230-pound athletic linebacker, definitely caught the eyes of everyone when he intercepted a pass in one of the teams joint practices with the Oakland Raiders.

Thats the best thing thats happened to me all of camp! Briggs said that day. Im just happy I was able to show my hands!

Before signing with the 49ers, Briggs was showing off all of his abilities at Bowling Green State University of the Mid-American Conference.

In college, Briggs built a reputation as a devastating pass rusher.

He was an All-Conference outside linebacker. Briggs also recorded 26 sacks in his college career, which is best in school history and good enough for eighth all-time in the MAC.

He was so dominant, Bowling Green had to hide him in their defensive alignment by lining him up in different positions each game.

But for all of his success, Bowling Greens best pass rusher was passed over in the past NFL Draft.

When the time came to find a team interested in his services, Briggs style of play aligned perfectly with 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manuskys 3-4 defense.

And while hes been in camp with the 49ers, Briggs has made a strong impression on all those around him.

Thats something not every young player achieves

Source 

Sounds like a lot of people are high on him. He might end up on the roster later this season because of our lack of depth and he does have experience in a few NFL games.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
especially if Zombo sticks at DE :shock:
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
Maybe he can replace the arena league player.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Maybe he can replace the arena league player.

"nerdmann" wrote:

That'd be bad, then we'd be hoping for Matt Flynn to lead us the way. 🙂
UserPostedImage
British
13 years ago
Neal, Poppinga on IR, Simpkins (Arena league player) released.

Also signed veteran ILB Matt Wilhelm.

A third player was lined up but the paperwork wasnt completed in time to announce tonight (according to Rob Demovsky).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (13h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (17h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (17h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
34m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.