dfosterf
13 years ago
I'm winding down- retired, maybe howling at the moon in frustration about things not accomplished in life, the youth of today (In my VERY opinionated opinion, lol)

The younger folk---

Where are you in life, and what's the plan?

These are tough times for so many, I'd like to hear the frustrations and aspirations--- If this one dies, I understand...

Got[strike] milk?[/strike] stones?
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think we all go through tough times. I believe how we handle them defines who we are. I for one, the few last years events and such, have not handled them well. There's no clear cut answer how to handle it all properly. I, like everyone, just do the best I can and hope it's satisfactory.

Aspirations, to be the best father I can be. Everything else falls somewhere behind that.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I'm not a young person, but I'll answer anyway.

Perhaps because I have studied economic history, or perhaps because I'm just middle aged and have pretty much fucked away half a century with nothing to show for it, but I find myself very envious of the young.

Yeah, a lot of people have been having tough times. But pick any time and there are a lot of people who have had tough times. And there is *no* time in human history that has the opportunities this time has.

Yeah, it's a time with major problems (completely fucked up politics, higher ed, media, and the environment to name just four). But its also a time completely unprecedented in its economic, human, and knowledge wealth. The only time that came sort of close was the first Industrial Revolution, and by today's standards, the growth rates of the Industrial Revolution would count as a major recession.

It's too late for me. Even if "the reinvention" is successful, I'm going to be too goddamn old too soon. And, besides, I've had my shots, and no one to blame but me for fucking them away. But, damn I wish I would be around to be celebrating what y'all could be celebrating by the time you're my age.

It's going to be a magical place the middle of this century. Bank on it.

Here's lookin' at you, kids.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
13 years ago
I was born in the late sixties, and my first memories were the tail end of the Vietnam War and an impeached president. My parents were poor and I watched them struggle to raise my brother and me. I grew up in the 80's when Reagen seemed right the ship and the country began it's excesses. Then came the 90's and the "reality" generation began and the country went through a more melencholy mood swing.

I don't know what is in store for my kids, but I've led a great life and made it that way through sweat and hard work, but I never forgot what it was to stop once in a while to have a good time.

This year has been an incredible journey for my family as we have been given something to deal with with Mia's cancer, that most people will never deal with thankfully. My wife and I have accepted this enormous challenge and with encouragement from friends and family we pushed through. I don't know what tomorrow brings, but I know we have been challenged emotionally, spiritially, and physically.

I encourage our younger posters to strive for bigger and better things, and to make serious changes to this world for the better. World peace, cultural and racial equality, economic freedoms, global cleansing ... these are not unattainable concepts; but my generation and those before mine have failed. And for those my age and older, hopefully we have all raised well adjusted that can obtain some of these things which we have failed to do. When I'm laid to rest, I hope I am eulogised in manner that I was a good man who helped others and left some beautiful children to carry my spirit forward.

Nice topic Gunny! You try to be a bad ass, but your just an old marshmallow man at heart.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Haven't read every post in here yet (wife's hounding me ATM), but will tomorrow..

Where am I in life? Working a part timer, trying to boost the household income to help fund our side business.

The plan? Have enough income through business so when we start our family my wifey won't have to go to work and we can raise our own kids as opposed to the daycare centers.

Frustrations? That we get in our own way and we know it.

Aspirations? To make enough money with the business that we both can be home with our kids instead of just my wife.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Porforis
13 years ago
Where was I 2 months ago? In a long term relationship and a stable, dead-end job that I still appreciate having. Hoping to go back to school part-time, starting out with classes that are relevant to me and eventually merging them into a degree.

Since then, I've become engaged, my car got wrecked and I've been having to deal with physical issues as a result and the joys of car shopping. My fiance is looking for Masters programs, unfortunately the instate options are limited and not that great (either terrible public school, or expensive private school) and out of state options come with out of state tuition.

I know we'll both get through the hard times, but with me being 24 (she's 22) I'm starting to enter that phase of my life where I'm starting to feel OLD and definitively an adult. Every day I have off from work is filled with other obligations and I constantly need to shuffle schedules around to make things work.

The plan? To stay young by trying to avoid the pitfalls in life that take away your youthfulness. I'd rather work 32 hours and have things be financially tight and have an extra day off than work 40 hours a week for the next 45 years and then retire with boatloads of money. Why sacrifice happiness in the first 40 years of your professional career for happiness when you're older? Not to say that finances aren't a concern (they are, and I am very financially responsible), but I aspire to not let them become bigger than they need to be.

Frustrations? After messing up my knee about 2 years ago and an extended healing process with multiple re-injuries, it finally healed enough about 3 months ago to where I could reliably go on long walks or jog without significant pain. Now after my car accident, I suffer from back and neck pain. I'm going to a chiropractor, but progress is extremely slow and I worry I'll be stuck with pain for the rest of my life. The idea of not having mobility scares me.

Frustrated with my job. In short, I work tech support. Our department is broken up into three tiers... about 30 Tier I techs, 7 Tier II, 1 Tier III, and 3 supervisors. The Tier III position is weird, in that its description is the same as Tier II but the guy that holds it is more technically proficient and reliable than all the other Tier IIs... Except me, and multiple supervisors have made comments to me about this as well. Personally, I'm not too concerned about the idea... Job description is the same, having two Tier IIIs doesn't make sense... But I've been stuck in this position for a long time and really wish I had some way of moving forward, and being Tier III would look a lot better on a resume. No pay increase either, we have a 2 year old pay freeze, which is another concern.

Aspirations? To have just enough financial flexibility to not have to worry about money. Neither I nor my fiance buy much "stuff", we don't really watch TV so there's no cable TV bill, we don't text, etc etc etc. But I'm making just over $10/hour and she's making $8.25, it's going to be hard to make things work while she's in college. I'm just anxious to get to the phase in our lives where I've found a better job, she's got her Masters and a better job, and we both have our schedules set up perfectly so we both see eachother every day (but only if we want to :P). Right now, things are just kind of all over the place.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I'm not a young person, but I'll answer anyway.

Perhaps because I have studied economic history, or perhaps because I'm just middle aged and have pretty much fucked away half a century with nothing to show for it, but I find myself very envious of the young.

Yeah, a lot of people have been having tough times. But pick any time and there are a lot of people who have had tough times. And there is *no* time in human history that has the opportunities this time has.

Yeah, it's a time with major problems (completely fucked up politics, higher ed, media, and the environment to name just four). But its also a time completely unprecedented in its economic, human, and knowledge wealth. The only time that came sort of close was the first Industrial Revolution, and by today's standards, the growth rates of the Industrial Revolution would count as a major recession.

It's too late for me. Even if "the reinvention" is successful, I'm going to be too goddamn old too soon. And, besides, I've had my shots, and no one to blame but me for fucking them away. But, damn I wish I would be around to be celebrating what y'all could be celebrating by the time you're my age.

It's going to be a magical place the middle of this century. Bank on it.

Here's lookin' at you, kids.

"Wade" wrote:

Great post, Wade.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
13 years ago
My uncle was not happy with his station in life. With practically his dying breath, he wrote me about his resentments toward my dad. My dad kicked his tail academically when they were lads, went on to all the Ivy league schools, and yada, yada yada.

I never could understand the resentment. My uncle became world-famous in his chosen field as an artist---Far more famous than any of us could imagine in things that would matter to an educated person... His works are on prominent display in the Smithsonian, and were while he was alive, PLUS there are literally thousands of his former students that follow him beyond his grave to the point of amazement to me...but he was a dick...

I think about Wade when I think about these things. Wade is what I know.

Wade seems to worry about his station in life, with some regret... I'm not seeing it, sorry-- I know he has mom troubles-perhaps poontang troubles, but he definitely does not have person troubles. I dig Wade, he looks and sounds so incredibly smart and KIND.... the very smartest amongst us are always that....the kind thing.

The one thing that has held me in good stead is this... Be the best I can be at what I am doing. If I am shoveling shit, I guarantee I will be the best mf'ing shit-shoveler you ever met, PLUS I will ensure that everyone knows it. :tongue3:
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'm with you, Foster.

I went to a smaller college and have UTMOST respect for my Professors. I kind of wanted to go the Professor route but am too lazy to get a PhD, which is almost required to become a Professor out here.

My wife and my real estate agent can tell you this - I talk about Wade and Nonstopdrivel like I know them personally. I also look up to Pack93z's knowledge of football and wish I was as smart per years as Rockmolder, and could speak like Raider Pride. I'm a pretty good speaker myself but RP is better.

I put Wade in this group because he's pretty fucking smart. I know smart. I'm pretty fucking smart. For me to say this is a pretty big compliment. Wade's understanding of economics does circles around mine. As much as I brag about being a historian, I'm an amateur. Wade is the real deal, the real McCoy. Comparatively, I'm a poseur.

If I were Wade, I'd be proud. He knows some obscure stuff, including music which I'm supposed to be the expert at. Plus, his blog is a must read. If you haven't read it, either go there now or kick yourself in the nuts. I'm telling you, you're missing out.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
13 years ago
Kev got that part right when he was bitching at me for pointing out Rock as a very smart fella.

We are blessed with a bunch of smart folk. Really.

Amazing, when I reflect upon on how scarily simple a stock we come from---

(lol, forgive the editorial, lol)

I just see it on the field, and it is SO reflective...

(lol, I KNOW they aren't from Wisconsin, but GD--they sure SEEM to be, lol)

Where's that cow I'm lookin' for, hey?
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (16m) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (1h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (2h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (5h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (5h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.