Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101106/PKR07/101106021/Mike-Vandermause-column-This-is-no-mediocre-defense 

If you believe raw statistics, the Green Bay Packers have the 18th-best defense in the NFL.

The 341 yards per game the Packers are giving up suggests they are slightly below average.

In reality, the defense is much better than that. It has hoisted the team on its burly shoulders in the Packers last three victories with displays of dominance and stunningly strong play in once weak areas.

If not for the defense, the Packers wouldnt be in first place in the NFC North at 5-3, just a half-game shy of the best record in the NFC.

While the Packers are allowing 57 more yards per game than last season, that is offset by some sparkling performances in several key defensive areas, including passer rating (No. 1), sacks (No. 3), interceptions (No. 3) and points allowed (No. 4).

When asked what has stood out about this years team, quarterback Aaron Rodgers replied: Without a doubt the defense. Thats been the most impressive thing.

Based on the thrashing the defense suffered in a 51-45 playoff loss against Arizona last January, and General Manager Ted Thompsons seeming lack of urgency in acquiring reinforcements, the defense wasnt expected to generate much of a pass rush this season and the secondary was considered a weak link.

Now both of those areas are team strengths, partly due to the maturation of key players, and partly because of Thompsons ability to find some hidden gems.

Everywhere you turn there are ball hawks on defense. Charles Woodsons interception return for a touchdown saved the Packers in a 28-26 win over Detroit. Three more interceptions against Minnesota, including Desmond Bishops runback for a touchdown, led to a 28-24 win. Two more picks against the New York Jets helped preserve the NFLs only shutout of the season last Sunday in the Packers 9-0 victory.

The secondary has been so good that the Packers were in no hurry over the past three weeks to bring back the injured Al Harris and Atari Bigby. Cornerback Tramon Williams is playing at a Pro Bowl level and safety Charlie Peprah has been an upgrade over rookie starter Morgan Burnett, who blew out his knee.

When its time to make a play when it comes your way, you just have to make it, said Peprah, who wasnt even a good bet to survive the final training camp cutdown. When youre in there its your time to pull your weight and do your job.

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews is definitely pulling his 255-pound frame. He is living up to his Pro Bowl reputation and leads the NFL in sacks, is surrounded by a solid front seven, and isnt afraid to raise expectations. Defensively speaking thats our job really is to attempt to shut out each and every week, said Matthews.

Its a good sign when season-ending injuries to starters arent devastating the defense barely missed a beat when Bishop replaced the injured Nick Barnett at inside linebacker.

The Packers are doing something right when players signed off the street, such as lineman Howard Green and linebacker Erik Walden last week, make immediate contributions. Or when undrafted free agents, like cornerback Sam Shields and linebacker Frank Zombo, hold their own.

The Packers will gladly settle for a mediocre overall ranking as long as the defense continues to produce victories.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago
We are #2 in points allowed.

One article talks about how that's the only thing that really counts and here it's completely ignored. I don't rank our D 18th. I rate it 2nd to Pittsburg and if the Steelers get into a shootout with Cincy tonight we could be #1.

I understand the article is complementary of the defense but it should have read "#2 D saving Packers hide." Last time I checked W's and L's are determined by how many points are scored by both teams not yards.

Last year it was the other way around and we were giving up more points and fewer yards. I kind of like the way it's going now.
"The train is leaving the station."
Rios39
13 years ago
We are a dominating defense no question. When that D Line is all heatlthy we are scary. Im glad CJ Wilson has emerged and we picked up Howard Green.
blank
RashaanSalaami
13 years ago

One article talks about how that's the only thing that really counts and here it's completely ignored. I don't rank our D 18th. I rate it 2nd to Pittsburg and if the Steelers get into a shootout with Cincy tonight we could be #1.

I understand the article is complementary of the defense but it should have read "#2 D saving Packers hide." Last time I checked W's and L's are determined by how many points are scored by both teams not yards.

Last year it was the other way around and we were giving up more points and fewer yards. I kind of like the way it's going now.

"warhawk" wrote:

Yup! Yards are about as inaccurate as JaMarcus Russell.
blank
gbguy20
13 years ago
mid way thru the 4th quarter last night we had only given up 97 yards.
LambeauEast
13 years ago
The D is very good, and thank God for'em, but as we've seen, without Clay, there is a definite drop off in D production. It still boggles my mind that one single man can dictate how good a team is, but we've seen it in Washington.

And the "no names", they get better every week!

So yes, i am proud of this D...I just hope Clay don't go down from here on out.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Can we just strangle the author? PA. How many times do I have to say that?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Dulak
13 years ago
I havnt watched much of the games this season (got a bit depressed with our starters being out and well my new gf keeping me occupied).

Sounds like I need to catch up and watch them.

I remember last year our numers seemed to suggest we crushed opponents but our penalties and our sacks really but us back. I had no idea this year our INTs have been that high compared to other teams and our sacks (I knew clay was doing well just didnt realize the whole team was doing well).

Feeling a bit better about our chances - just wish we had harris still on our team. Like to have gotten him a ring.
Greg C.
13 years ago

"warhawk" wrote:

Points allowed was not completely ignored. It was mentioned in the article. I agree that it is the most important stat, but it's not the only stat that matters. Defenses that give up fewer yards give their offenses the best field position.

After this week's games, the Packers have now crept up to 14th in yards per game while remaining 2nd in points per game.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Points allowed was not completely ignored. It was mentioned in the article. I agree that it is the most important stat, but it's not the only stat that matters. Defenses that give up fewer yards give their offenses the best field position.

After this week's games, the Packers have now crept up to 14th in yards per game while remaining 2nd in points per game.

"Greg C." wrote:

This happens all the time. Let's say you got a 24-7 lead heading with 8 minutes left in the 4th Q. You know you're going to win the game. You "bend but don't break" and allow yards but tighten the noose when they get close, only allowing FGs, if that.

So that runs up the yards allowed but not the PA.

Yards allowed is deceptive.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (8h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (12h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Novalee

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.