macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

The Green Bay Packers are staying busy during their bye week.

They used the time today to familiarize themselves with some different faces as the team had eight players in for a tryout, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Packers worked out running backs Brandon Minor and Jeremiah Johnson. They promoted rookie running back James Starks from the physically unable to perform list earlier this week.

The team also took a look at guard Adrian Battkes, offensive tackle Nick Howell, defensive tackle Mundrae Clifton, defensive end Curtis Young, tight end Joe Sawyer and wide receiver Thomas White.

"NationalFootballPost.com" wrote:

I expect they're looking for potential practice squad players. It looked like an interesting mix of players (RB, OL, DL, TE, WR).

If they were to sign one of these guys to the 53 man roster it would be a clear sign of their opinion of Al Harris' recovery, since they decided not to use a roster spot for him.
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
13 years ago

Havner Works Out; Signing Likely

By Bill Huber

The Packers worked out former tight end Spencer Havner, who had five touchdown receptions and 20 tackles on special teams last year.

The Green Bay Packers brought in only one player for a workout, and hes a player whos near and dear to many fans.

Do-it-all Spencer Havner worked out in front of team officials on Tuesday, FoxSports.coms Adam Caplan told Packer Report. Havner, who was released by Detroit last month because of an injured hamstring, took a physical for the Packers last week. The continued interest signals that the Packers very likely will re-sign Havner, perhaps as soon as Monday, when the team gathers for its first practice following the bye.

Havner would bolster the Packers on a couple of fronts. On offense, the Packers arent getting much punch from their tight ends after Jermichael Finley was lost for the season. The remaining three tight ends, rookie Andrew Quarless (seven catches), veteran Donald Lee (seven catches) and first-year Tom Crabtree (three catches) have combined for fewer catches in nine games (17) than Finley had in four (21). Havner caught seven passes last year, four of which went for touchdowns, and he added two catches and a touchdown in the playoffs.

Plus, Havner would further add to an improving special teams, which have benefitted from the addition of linebackers Erik Walden, Diyral Briggs and Matt Wilhelm. Havner ranked third on the team last year with 20 special teams tackles.

To add Havner, the Packers would have to release a player. With the addition of running back James Starks, the Packers have six players in the backfield. Another possibility is the offensive line, where rookies Marshall Newhouse and Nick McDonald have been inactive in all nine games.

"PackerReport at Scout.com" wrote:

Make that nine tryout players...
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Read about Havner on profootballweekly a couple of weeks back. That signing makes a lot of sense. He helps on special teams and he's proven to be a pretty good player in the big games.
Dulak
13 years ago
I didnt think we should of gotten rid of havner - knows the system, liked it in greenbay, and could play ST, LB, or TE well enough. And IMO better then the TEs crabtree and quar-dropsies.

and ya wed need room; and that would of meant harris could of fit in the scheme ...

I agree with resigning him - havner that is (just have to ban him from drinking and motorcycle riding)
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I didnt think we should of gotten rid of havner - knows the system, liked it in greenbay, and could play ST, LB, or TE well enough. And IMO better then the TEs crabtree and quar-dropsies.

and ya wed need room; and that would of meant harris could of fit in the scheme ...

I agree with resigning him - havner that is (just have to ban him from drinking and motorcycle riding)

"Dulak" wrote:

Was it Quarless who got tripped by an ant holding up a leaf of grass when Flynn threw that would have been perfect pass during that fake punt? I forgot if it was Quarless or Crabtree. I know it's only one play, but that one really bummed me out. I love fake punts (and was a fake punt demon at Techmo Bowl).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
K_Buz
13 years ago
Quarless
macbob
  • macbob
13 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Was it Quarless who got tripped by an ant holding up a leaf of grass when Flynn threw that would have been perfect pass during that fake punt? I forgot if it was Quarless or Crabtree. I know it's only one play, but that one really bummed me out. I love fake punts (and was a fake punt demon at Techmo Bowl).

"Dulak" wrote:

Queless. But it was a fake FG--Flynn was in as the holder.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
I don't really understand why we got rid of Havner in the first place. Maybe they thought that Crabtree and Quarless were more talented than him, but Swain? No. They could have at the very least put him on the practice squad. He came up huge in big games, and managed to avoid tripping on the ant carrying the grass, as zombie puts it.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
People often forget just how barely Havner made the squad in 2009. If I remember correctly, he was the very last roster decision made.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

I don't really understand why we got rid of Havner in the first place. Maybe they thought that Crabtree and Quarless were more talented than him, but Swain? No. They could have at the very least put him on the practice squad. He came up huge in big games, and managed to avoid tripping on the ant carrying the grass, as zombie puts it.

"peteralan71" wrote:

I disagree I think Swain is more talented than Havner. That and the norm is 5 WR and 3 TE. 5 TEs is a bit much... and you need that extra WR if one of the top 4 go down.

At TE it's like all of them have gone down... Finley went down, Lee went MIA, Quarless got banged up and is prone to not being sharp and Crabtree just isn't the most talented guy but a great STer.

Lee or Havner had to go... and Lee played better in the preseason as Havner was missing blocks and not standing out in the passing game while Lee at least got open and drop too many easy one... but also caught some very hard ones.

People often forget just how barely Havner made the squad in 2009. If I remember correctly, he was the very last roster decision made.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Ummm how would the people know what the coaches were thinking and how far up o down that list he would be? Coaches normally keep that quite...

Like I said above teams normally keep 3 TEs... who did he really have to compete with?

Other TEs Travis Dekker, Tory Humphrey and Evan Moore all ended up on the IR. Evan Moore is a former WR and has helped the Browns in there passing game but hasn't done anything huge and blocks like a WR when the Packers like to use their TEs as h-backs as well at TE which you need to block with both... Humphrey is always injured...

I don't think Havner was that hard of a choice with the guys he was competing with and offered the best STs as well over them last year.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.