Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/11/11/is-a-head-coaching-job-in-dom-capers-future/ 

Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers has done a solid job over the past two seasons, so much so that he might begin attracting attention as a potential head coaching candidate following this season.

Capers has coached two expansion teams during his NFL tenure, at Carolina and at Houston. He was eventually fired from both jobs.

But his credentials as a coordinator are sound, and its been no different in Green Bay. The Packers defense ranked No. 2 in yards allowed last season, and this year the Packers are No. 2 in points allowed per game despite a rash of injuries.

Capers was asked earlier this week if he would be interested in a head coaching job again. His reply:

Well, Ive always believed this for a long time. What you have to do, because we talk about it with the players, youve got to focus in so much on your job that any of those things on the outside, I dont ever let that type of thing even enter my mind, to tell you the truth. Ive done it twice before and my job from the day that Mike (McCarthy) brought me on board here is to try to do everything I can to help this football team achieve its goals. I think you certainly have to represent the things you talk to the players about all the time. Thats focus on the things you have control over and try to get this defense playing as well as it can play and get a group of guys to come together with a common goal. And I think were headed in the right direction. Weve had to overcome some bumps here in the first half of the season all those other things have a way of taking care of themselves.

Capers was forced to start from scratch in his first two head coaching stints. Wouldnt he like to take the reins from a team thats already established?

Ill say this, its a unique experience when you go in and you have zero players and you have about six months to play against teams that have been doing it for 50 years, Capers said.

He praised his assistant coaches. Weve got a really outstanding young defensive staff and I think all those guys have capabilities, Capers said. Theyre going to ascend in this profession. Were very fortunate I think to have the group of defensive coaches we have here.

When asked if he believes hes still young enough to be a head coach, the 60-year-old Capers said: Well Id like to think Im not over the hill.

He says Mike brought him in. Guess we can end the whole Ted brought Dom in thing, eh?
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Dom sounds like he's a graduate of the McCarthy/Thompson Academy of Skirting the Question.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

Dom sounds like he's a graduate of the McCarthy/Thompson Academy of Skirting the Question.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Birds of a feather, brother, birds of a feather. I sure as hell hope that a head coaching position is not in his future. He is far too valuable to us at the DC spot!! That being said, he has been a head coach (with expansion teams, mind you) at Carolina where he was 30-34, and in Houston where he was 18-46. This is tough because it is hard to judge a guy by his record with an expansion team, BUT he was with each team for 4 years. His last year in Carolina his record was 4-12, and his last year in Houston was 2-14, sooooooo there's that. Those were his worst records with each team. I think we should hold onto him as tight as wel can, because he is extremely productive as a DC, but not so productive as a head coach.

P.S. They flock together.......
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
I don't get this. You're a phenomenal defensive coordinator, why risk your legacy, career, and job security by changing? Is the pay really that much better?
beast
13 years ago
I think Capers is an amazing DC. Even better the Mike McCarthy on offense IMO. But a lot of DC have a problem with being head coaches for what ever reason...

Offenses struggles with defensive guys as head coaches... but defense don't always struggle with offense guys as head coaches... not sure why but it seems to happen a lot...
UserPostedImage
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

I think Capers is an amazing DC. Even better the Mike McCarthy on offense.

"beast" wrote:

LOL Half of the DC in the league are better than Mike McCarthy on offense! Mike McCarthy is a great personal man, that is the only reason his offenses have been successful.
UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
13 years ago

I don't get this. You're a phenomenal defensive coordinator, why risk your legacy, career, and job security by changing? Is the pay really that much better?

"Porforis" wrote:

I think I said something like this during the last Game Chat. He's already failed at the head coach thing twice. He has excelled greatly as the DC of the Packers. If he sticks around, he has the chance to bring this team to a Super Bowl in the next year or two. If he bails, he's facing a 3 year "rebuilding" of whatever shit team who just fired their head coach to hire him.

Assuming a rational thinker model, one would assume he would opt for the greatest chance of success and stick with this team. Were we 4-12, I would see why he would leave. But we're not and we are only one win behind the best records in the league.

Now, if we consider the typical egoistic reasons one would choose to accept the head coaching position: personal pride, greater salary, being the boss...
then you would understand why he might leave.

I like Dom and I wish him well in whatever he does. However, my calculus of events says stick around for a year or two. If you win the Super Bowl, you will have only increased your stock in trade. It's not like he has never had the shot. He's had two. And there always seem to be openings for head coachs in this league. No opportunity lost by waiting. Go for the ring!
blank
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Anyone have Dom's email address? If so, please forward istanbulpacker's post to him!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Anyone have Dom's email address? If so, please forward istanbulpacker's post to him!

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Don who? Shula?
UserPostedImage
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Don who? Shula?

"bozz_2006" wrote:

:crazy:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (5h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (5h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (9h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (9h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.