zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'm thinking Havner was signed as a STs player.

The NFL has been really freaky this year. A lot of games have been lost due to poor STs play. For example, ask anyone on the Chargers about STs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
13 years ago

What I don't like is the resigning of Havner. The guy couldn't even stick with the Lions. He appears to be "one of Ted's guys". That's all that justifies his roster spot.

He's a mediocre TE, couldn't make the team as a LB and is good, but not great, on STs. Versatility is great, but a player who is mediocre across the board can be as versatile as he wants, but just isn't going to help the team a whole lot.

"beast" wrote:

Havner stuck with the Lions until he got the same injury Matthews had in the preseason (this year and last). And the Lions didn't want to wait for him to get healthy so they cut him...

He's more than just one of Ted guys... he's great at finding the holes in zone coverage which is what the defense have been playing against the Packers since Grant and Finley went down. He's average against a coverage LB in zone... also he knows the offense, defense and st systems already.

As for the mediocre versatility commit I'd say the same thing could be said about Kuhn, Bush and Peprah and they've been helping the Packers this season...

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Kuhn's a fan favorite. He's nothing more than a FB who can pound it in for a couple of yards per run. If Grant was averaging the same as Kuhn was, we'd be calling for his head.

If you're a white guy who plays "tough football", though, you're golden in Green Bay.

For as far as Travis Jervey didn't proof that much, already.

Bush has been crapped out his entire career, makes two splash plays in last week's game, and now he's a good player who's earned his roster spot.

He's earned that roster spot a long time ago because of superb special teams play. When he got his snaps on defense, everyone was calling for his head. He's back on STs where he belongs and he's nearly a fan favorite, already.

Can't say anything about Peprah. He's been exceeding expectations. A good pass rush helps a lot. Maybe Rouse would've looked servicable, as well. But I can't say anything but that this was a good resigning.

Whether Ted got lucky when again going to his "own guys" is another point, but there's no way for us to figure that out.

Spencer Havner had a whopping 7 receptions in his career. He couldn't make the Packers' roster as a LB. He's ok on special teams, but nothing too great. Nothing of the caliber of a Martin, Bush or Lee. So Havner's getting this job because he occasionally moves himself into a hole in zone defenses.

I heared Bubba's still out there, as well. He'd add about as much.

"beast" wrote:

Thanks for proving my point... all of those guys are mediocre but versatility and are helping the team.

And I never said Bush was good... you did... but he's helping the Packers and hasn't been making too many mistakes this year.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

How did I prove your point?

Peprah is playing on a position where we had no choice but sign a mediocre player... And he's stepped up his game. Like I said, he exceeded expectations. There's a small chance that Havner will do something like that, but his ceiling doesn't look too high. Any rookie or veteran who has been there before would be a better pick-up.

Bush is not a mediocre player on STs. He's one of our best. That's why he's on the team. It sure as heck isn't because of his outstanding defensive play.

Kuhn's a FB who's playing out of position and I thought I made clear in my previous post that his performance so far is far from satisfying. There are tens of guys who could do just as good a job as Kuhn.
macbob
13 years ago
What I find most interesting in the whole deal is that (unless Tauscher's injury has become much more severe in the last couple of days) is the team had the opportunity to IR Tauscher and activate Al Harris from the PuP. IMO, this says a lot about the Packers assessment of Al's recovery, essentially picking Havner over Harris.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
13 years ago
Or, it says that the packers are Thin at TE, losing their starting TE and having thier raw-but tallented(quarless) backup TE hurting, and only stopgap players like Lee and a blocking TE in Crabtree on the roster.

Along with the fact that the packers have 6 CBs on the roster, TE looks like a bigger need.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Maybe I'm an asshole, but seeing Tauscher on IR pleases me for some reason. I think we're finally getting close to the line with which we should have started the season.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

How did I prove your point?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

By proving some mediocre players are helping the team win, which was my point.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Havner isn't the best TE in football, but we are short at that position right now. He knows the offense, and ALWAYS gives 100% effort.
He HAS to be "hungry" knowing that he was unemployed, and this is his BIG chance to make a name for himself.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

Or, it says that the packers are Thin at TE, losing their starting TE and having thier raw-but tallented(quarless) backup TE hurting, and only stopgap players like Lee and a blocking TE in Crabtree on the roster.

Along with the fact that the packers have 6 CBs on the roster, TE looks like a bigger need.

"earthquake" wrote:

I don't believe that. CB is just as much a position of need as TE.

We've already got 3 TEs (Lee, Quarless, and Crabtree). Calling Lee a 'stopgap' is ridiculous. In 2008 he was 3rd on the team in receptions, and last year he was fourth (despite Finley taking over as the starting TE). So I'd say Lee's a little more than a 'stopgap' player, and in any event he's a better TE than Havner. Havner makes a 4th TE, which is a luxury at that position, especially when you consider that we're already carrying 3 FBs.

We've got 6 CBs on the roster only if you consider Bush a CB, otherwise we have 5. Once you get past the first two (Woodson, Williams) we get shaky. Shields has been amazing to perform at the level he has given his experience at the position, but he is still pretty raw and is a work in progress. Lee and Underwood have been less than inspiring, and God forbid Bush ever get on the field as a CB.
Ted Thompson has always said he drafts for the best player, not based on need. Your explanation would have him behaving here contrary to his philosophy.

In any event, TT's actions, for whatever reasons, shows that he thinks Al's less worthy to have on the team than Havner.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

Calling Lee a 'stopgap' is ridiculous. In 2008 he was 3rd on the team in receptions, and last year he was fourth (despite Finley taking over as the starting TE). So I'd say Lee's a little more than a 'stopgap' player, and in any event he's a better TE than Havner. Havner makes a 4th TE, which is a luxury at that position, especially when you consider that we're already carrying 3 FBs.

"macbob" wrote:

Last year I'd probably say Lee is bit more than a stop gap... but this year? This year he's disappeared almost. 9 games, 4 starts and only 7 catches for 68 yards? You can't blame Finley too much as he's been gone lately...

I'd have to say those numbers are stopgap like... Donald Lee seems to have a big drop off from last year to this year... he's yardage per game has dropped by over half... he's catches per game is barely a one third of last year. And I haven't noticed him out there blocking much ether...

Lee this year isn't the same player he was other years...

With the way the other TEs are playing... I think Havner could become the starter if he start playing like he did last year. Also with Grant and Finley out they're playing a lot more zone defense which is what Havner seems to do his best against while Lee did his best against man coverage. And Quarless being a rookie he still may not know the whole offense yet and he's prove to mistake though his potential has been showing as well.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Maybe I'm an asshole, but seeing Tauscher on IR pleases me for some reason. I think we're finally getting close to the line with which we should have started the season.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Well you are an asshole. ;)

That doesn't change the fact that anyone on IR is a bad thing. We could use anyone for depth right now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (22h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.