Porforis
13 years ago
To sum things up, my roommate has not paid utilities on time once since we moved in 9 months ago, he's usually anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks short. And it's always me asking him when he'll be able to pay, not him saying "Hi, I won't be able to pay until xxxx". I also know that he doesn't make good use of his money, as he smokes (not sure what it is, it doesn't smell like cigarettes or MJ) and rarely if ever eats at home.

The issue here is that we are both on the lease (which says nothing about utility payments, we directly pay the power/gas company) so I can't just threaten to evict him if he's not paying on time or letting me know when and why he can't. I've talked to him a few times about this, letting him know that if he can't pay I understand (as I've been there myself) and won't hold it against him, but that I've got my own bills to pay and if he's not telling me when he CAN pay or at least that he can't, it's causing problems for me.

As with pretty much everything else (cleaning public areas that he creates the majority of the mess for), he says he'll do it but doesn't. I'll be honest, I want this guy evicted. I talked to him 4 times over the course of two weeks to get him to wipe off the toilet seat and clean the mirror when he was asked to clean the bathroom, and got an attitude with me when I asked him what he thought was reasonable as far as bathroom cleaning duties go. I just had to leave him a voicemail asking him to clean the bathtub, as he left disgusting amounts of gunk and hair all over it. And I'm sure if I don't clean it myself, it'll take 2 or 3 weeks for him to do it.

What recourse do I have? I'll doublecheck with my landlord, but I'm pretty sure we didn't sign any document beyond simply saying that we would pay utilities, not that it would be 50-50 or anything of the like (Did not get a copy of that document, only the lease). If it matters, I live in Indiana.
4PackGirl
13 years ago
i was a leasing agent for a large apartment complex in a previous life & since you are both on the lease, there's nothing you or your landlord can do about it. you could (in a strong armed way) ask that the utilities be put in his name only but when the gas/water/electric is shut off, you're still suffering. did you sign a one year lease? if so, bide your time for the next 3 months & move the hell out! breaking a lease is NOT a good idea & will cost you more money than it's worth. start talking to the landlord now to find out what your options are once the lease is up. good luck man - been there, done that.
Porforis
13 years ago
Yeah, I figured I was screwed. I guess my last resort is to be a huge prick and (after warning him) turn off the heat altogether as well as the electricity to his room while using a space heater and jacket in my room until he gets the point. With luck, he'll be too stupid to find the breaker panel. Which he just may be 😃
Cheesey
13 years ago
That's the problem with having a room mate. They might sem like the nicest guy.......then you live with them, and find out the truth.
This guy sounds like a real jerk.
He's taking advantage of you. I can tell by what you wrote, that he figures "I'll just leave the stuff, ol' Porforis will get frustrated, and do the work himself."
I would try being a big jerk back to him. Stand your ground, and give him hell.
Tell him you are sick and tired of having to "baby sit" him, he HAS to start pulling his own load.
Of course that's ONLY my opinion, what i myself would try.
I usually am the "nice guy", and many take advantage of that. Sounds like what is happening to you right now.
Let us know how it ends up.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
The only problem is that "Completely clueless" seems to sum this guy up completely as well. Perhaps he has no concept of right and wrong, what "cleaning the bathroom" is, or how not paying your bills on time (or at least notifying the person you need to pay if you can't pay on time) is a bad thing. Maybe his parents never gave him any responsibility and now that he's in the real world he just lives his life expecting everything to take care of itself.

This is a guy that didn't bring money or a checkbook to a lease signing because he had no idea there'd be a down payment, didn't read the lease, still pays the rent IN CASH and doesn't have a checking account, has turned the AC on when it's 75 out and left windows open... He's also got significant hearing issues (he's only 28), who knows if there's other disabilities that came with it. I don't want to be a dick to someone unless I KNOW they're not just stupid or if I don't have any other options. But I guess I'm pretty much to that point regardless.

I guess the shitty part here is that I really, really wish I could stand to live with him for another 8 months or so. I'm getting married next august and we have the option of a 6 month lease extension, if he were to become tolerable we could extend the lease 6 months and then I could move out after that and in with my fiance. If I CAN'T deal with this guy, I need to move twice, which is a complete pain. Also, money's a bit tight with medical bills (that will eventually be reimbursed) piling up and I'm not looking forward to cleaning this place before we move out, as I'm pretty sure he's not going to contribute anything and I'll need to clean up a bunch of his disgusting mess.
rabidgopher04
13 years ago
Speak with the landlord about the situation, let your roommate not pay his share of the rent and then hopefully he gets kicked out.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Porforis
13 years ago

Speak with the landlord about the situation, let your roommate not pay his share of the rent and then hopefully he gets kicked out.

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Except he does pay rent, usually anywhere from on time to a day or two late (not late enough that they'll fine him, they can't evict him unless it's been 10+ days late)
Trippster
13 years ago
Who's name is on the utility bills? You I assume?

Couple of things to ease your mind. Being late is one thing. However, as long as it is not more than thirty days it won't show on your credit.

As far as him not paying you I would address it this way.

Take him out to lunch.. pay for lunch.
Tell him you understand that money is an issue and ask if anything is going on that you don't know about. Find out when his payday is and ask him to commit to giving you half of the rent on each payday before he spends it on something else. Include bills too .

As far as the things around the house, I would enter into the conversation from a standpoint of you wanting to understand his reasoning for why he doesnt do any of it.

The conversation has to come from you as an inquisitive "I wanna help and make this work" point of view. Also explain how you will have to make other arangements as the current situation comprimises your acceptable roomate value system.

Also, start every sentance with "It has been my experience..." as opposed to "You...."

Good luck, hope this helps..
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Cheesey
13 years ago
Trippster has some good ideas.
Then, you will find out if he does have any problems, or if he's just a dick.

I expect he's just a dick, but Tripp's way would hopefully make it clear, either way.

A friend of mine used to do things like this.....invite me out to eat, his treat, and at the end of the meal, realize "Gee! I forgot my wallet!"
Once, i can understand......but it was more then once. So from then on, if he invited me out with him saying "My treat!" i'd ask him if he had his wallet with him FIRST.
He caught on, real fast! LOL!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (22h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.