Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
My son was asking about the Heisman Trophy as we were sitting in the stand yesterday. I explained that the Heisman wasn't always the Heisman, but was named later in the honor of John Heisman.

He asked why.. and fitting of recent discussions got to explain why things of this nature are named in honor and respect of someone that played an role the history of.

Anyway.. thought I would post it for others as we explored this today. Can't hunt this morning either as I am charged with the three kids and only one hunts. lol.

http://www.heisman.com/history/trophy_history.php 

Brief History of The Heisman Memorial Trophy

For the 75th time since its inception in 1935, the Heisman Trophy Trust of New York City, will award the annual Heisman Memorial Trophy to an individual who deserves designation as the most outstanding college football player in the United States. The Heisman is a national symbol of collegiate football experience and competitiveness. At the same time, it has become the single most celebrated and sought-after award in American collegiate athletics.

Named in memory of a man whose inventiveness and contribution to football strategy are almost without compare, the Heisman Trophy has become more than an award of sculptured statuary. Indeed, it is almost an end in itself for legions and players, who engage annually in college football and accept personal recognition and public acclaim as part of sports endeavor.

Known originally as the DAC Trophy when it was first presented to Jay Berwagner, the legendary one man gang of the University of Chicago on December 9, 1935, the bronze statue award depicts a football player side-stepping and straight arming a tackler. Cast in the highly artistic method known as the lost wax process of bronze medal molding, the statue weighs 45 pounds and is 14 inches long, 13 and a half inches in height and 6 and a half inches in width. It was designed by New York sculptor Frank Eliscu, who was commissioned by the Downtown Athletic Club to create a figure of a football player in imperishable bronze to serve as an annual trophy award. Eliscu used his friend Ed Smith, a starter on the New York University Football team, as the player model for his initial creations.

One design was tentatively approved and Jim Crowley, one of the Four Horsemen of Norte Dame and football coach of Fordham University at the time, consented to look over the clay model at the Rose Hill campus of Fordham.

UserPostedImage

Coach Jim Crowley has running back
Warren Mulrey of the
Fordham Rams team of 1935 pose
with the clay model of the
Heisman Trophy at Rose Hall field,
going through the various motions of
the side step.

The prototype was set up on the field and Crowley had his players take various positions to illustrate the football sidestep. Sculptor Eliscu bent the arms and legs of his model to match the action.

The completed model was later brought to a dinner attended by Notre Dame gridders following the army game in 1935 for inspection by Elmer Layden, also a member of the Four Horsemen and then coach of the Fighting Irish and his players. Needless to say, everyone was impressed by the creative work of Eliscu, and the model of the Trophy was approved and cast in bronze for the initial presentation that year.

However, reference to the award as the DAC trophy was only used once. Following the death of John Heisman in October 1936, who at the time was the Director of Athletics at the Downtown Athletic Club, the award was renamed the Heisman Memorial Trophy.

At the present time, the annual award involves the use of two statues. One is presented to the college football player selected for excellence and this remains the permanent possession of the winner. A second trophy is awarded to the school represented by the winner.

The college player selected for the award is flown to New York along with the other school officials for formal presentation ceremonies and special honors. The 75th Annual Heisman Trophy Dinner will take place Monday, December 14, 2009 at the New York Marriott Marquis.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
13 years ago
THATS odd

I was just at that page at 9:58 this morning
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hmmm.. were you in the tree stand yesterday as well. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (9h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (17h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.