wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

MJS link 
There are a lot of ways to measure the competence of a defense, and the National Football League's army of statisticians has got them covered.

Yards per rush. Opponent passer rating. Red-zone defense. Quarterback hits. Third-down conversion percentage. Takeaways.

Really, though, only one statistic directly affects the outcome of games: points allowed. It's first-grade math. The fewer points a defense gives up, the better the chance its team will win.

Scoring defense is an area in which the Green Bay Packers have excelled and it has been instrumental in their four-game winning steak and 7-3 record, tied for second-best in the NFC.

When it comes to giving up points, the Packers and Chicago Bears are the stingiest teams in the NFL. Each has allowed 146 points in 10 games (14.6 average); the Pittsburgh Steelers rank third at 165 (16.5).

But Green Bay leads the league with only 14 touchdowns allowed, two fewer than the Steelers. And the defense wasn't responsible for Devin Hester's 62-yard punt return for a touchdown Sept. 27.

Thirteen touchdowns in 10 games? But wait, it gets better. The Packers have allowed only four defensive touchdowns in five road games.

"If they can't get in the end zone, they can't win," said safety Nick Collins. "That's our motto."

What's remarkable is that the Packers have accomplished this with a non-drafted rookie starting at outside linebacker (Frank Zombo), a non-drafted rookie playing nickel cornerback (Sam Shields), a midseason waiver acquisition playing extensively at defensive end (Howard Green) and career backups starting at inside linebacker (Desmond Bishop) and strong safety (Charlie Peprah).

It's a testament to defensive coordinator Dom Capers and his assistants that the Packers have overcome injuries to key players and have continued to improve each week.

The coaches have a knack for putting players in positions to succeed in terms of scheme, covering up individual weaknesses with team strengths.

"We've got a group of guys that are doing a good job of communicating," Capers said. "They're getting a feel for each other. They're playing well together. That's what it takes to play good team defense.

"I think there's a confidence level to where guys know they can count on the guy next to them to take care of his job, his gap responsibility, and consequently guys play faster."

The Packers have been off-the-charts good the last three games, shutting out the New York Jets on the road, 9-0; stifling Dallas, 45-7, at home, and on Sunday limiting Minnesota to a field goal in a 31-3 victory at the Metrodome.

The three-game averages: 3.3 points, 83.6 rushing yards, 204.6 passing yards and 288.3 total yards.

Maybe it's time people started talking about the Packers' defense as one of the best in the NFL.

Green Bay ranks 12th in total defense (323.4) but is tied for third in sacks (29), tied for second in interceptions (15) and is No. 2 in opponents' quarterback rating (66.5).

The Packers held Minnesota's Adrian Peterson to 72 yards (25 of them on one carry), harassed Brett Favre into an inconsistent 17-for-38, 208-yard day and came up with two huge second-quarter turnovers.

"I think our formula right now, with the offense not turning the ball over, the special teams giving us better field position on both sides of the ball and then our ability to take the ball away, that all fits together," Capers said. "Over the years, that's normally a winning formula."

Coach Mike McCarthy said the defense's performance against Minnesota graded out as its finest of the year.

"Our defense is in excellent rhythm as far as the communication, tackling, playing with the fundamentals, getting in and out of the personnel groups, the ability to play an approximate 40-60 pressure-coverage ratio," McCarthy said. "It gives you the ability to play fast.

"We're in Year 2 (of the 3-4 alignment under Capers). There's an excellent understanding. I'm very happy with the progress we've made and with where we are on defense."

The Packers also have made big improvements in their red-zone defense, which has been another area of emphasis. Capers said the defense was playing more zone coverage and avoiding unfavorable man-on-man matchups.

There is no denying the Packers' success, but they have not yet faced a red-hot quarterback this season. In 2009, a seemingly stout Green Bay defense was exposed down the stretch by Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 29 for 46 for 503 yards and three touchdowns.

Then, in a 51-45 overtime playoff loss to Arizona, Kurt Warner completed 29 of 33 for 379 yards and five touchdowns.

With that in mind, the Packers' defense faces a big test Sunday in Atlanta. The Falcons are an NFC-best 8-2 and their quarterback, Matt Ryan, has been impressive.

Ryan has completed 238 of 377 passes (63.1%) for 2,518 yards, with 18 touchdowns and five interceptions. His numbers are similar to those of the Packers' Aaron Rodgers, who has completed 214 of 334 (64.1%) for 2,601 yards, with 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

It's unrealistic to expect the Packers to pitch a shutout. But that's their goal.

"We've constantly tried to sell that our No. 1 goal is to keep people out of the end zone because it gives you the best chance of winning," Capers said. "It's interesting to see people start to take pride in those things."

STINGY ALLOWANCE

NFL leaders in fewest points allowed:

Green Bay Packers 	146
Chicago Bears 	        146
Pittsburgh Steelers 	165
New Orleans Saints 	170
New York Jets 	        177
Baltimore Ravens 	178
Atlanta Falcons 	192
St. Louis Rams 	        198
Tennessee Titans 	198
Cleveland Browns 	206
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 	206 

While I agree with the concept that the fewest points is the best indicator there are a lot of other factors that go into it.

For example-
1. Did the offense turn the ball over at their own 20? (Can't blame the defense if the other team scores from there.)
2. Did the special teams allow a 60 yard punt return?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
or those stupid pass interference penalties that move the ball to the spot of the foul. I do not like that at all. It should be a 10 yard or 15 yard penalty.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

or those stupid pass interference penalties that move the ball to the spot of the foul. I do not like that at all. It should be a 10 yard or 15 yard penalty.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I could live with a rule like that. Works well enough in the college game.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
Does this count how many times the defense itself scores? We've had some pick 6's. Woody and Clay come to mind.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

Does this count how many times the defense itself scores? We've had some pick 6's. Woody and Clay come to mind.

"nerdmann" wrote:

nope this is talking about how many times GB has let the other team score. Not how many times they have scored.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

DB's would abuse this. They would tackle a guy on any long ball to make a potential 30+ bomb into just a 10-15 yard penalty.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

"djcubez" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

DB's would abuse this. They would tackle a guy on any long ball to make a potential 30+ bomb into just a 10-15 yard penalty.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

yep they would. just reload and run it again and again until they don't.
actually they would only do it if they got beat on the play.
So a team gets a new set of downs 10-15 yards down field that is not a crime. Sure beats seeing them get 30 when there is no way to know if the receiver would have even caught the ball. Even though it is the NFL and the player SHOULD catch the ball, there are an awful lot of dropped passes.
I hate it when the offense's big play is to throw down field and hope for the PI call from the ref.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

"djcubez" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

yep they would. just reload and run it again and again until they don't.
actually they would only do it if they got beat on the play.
So a team gets a new set of downs 10-15 yards down field that is not a crime. Sure beats seeing them get 30 when there is no way to know if the receiver would have even caught the ball. Even though it is the NFL and the player SHOULD catch the ball, there are an awful lot of dropped passes.
I hate it when the offense's big play is to throw down field and hope for the PI call from the ref.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I hate PI calls just as much as you but a rule like this would kill hail mary's and the long ball.

What if a receiver totally should have caught a ball but a guy got to him before he even had a chance? 10-15 yards for what could have been 40? That doesn't sound right. I also think the auto-first down would be going too far. What if the pass interference occurred on 3rd and 25 and the pass was only for 5 yards? That's a ridiculous rule. The problem with tweaking the PI rule is it only creates more problems.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
I guess I would rather give 10 or 15 yards and a 1st down that 30-40 yards for a penalty. If it really is a problem they can always change the rule back in a year two. It is not as if the NFL hasn't waffled before.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

I guess I would rather give 10 or 15 yards and a 1st down that 30-40 yards for a penalty. If it really is a problem they can always change the rule back in a year two. It is not as if the NFL hasn't waffled before.

"wpr" wrote:

If "solving" a problem creates even more problems was the action taken actually a solution? Sometimes yes, but not in this instance. The rule itself is fine, it's the enforcement of the rule that's the issue.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (10h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (10h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (10h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (10h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (10h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (13h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (17h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (17h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.