Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Week-Long Series:
The Man Stopping College Footballs Playoff (Part IV)

From the very beginning of his days as the Big Ten commissioner, Jim Delany has consistently found ways to put more money in the pockets of not only the Big Ten, but all of the BCS conferences. In Part IV of our week-long series on Delany, we look at how Delany changed the landscape of college athletics two more times in recent years after brokering the deals that created the BCS, firmly establishing him as the most powerful person in college athletics.

Following the deal that became the BCS system in 1998, it became clear that Delany and the Big Ten were the power players in college sports. The BCS was a financial success, in spite of reporters, columnists and fans crying foul, and the six BCS conferences were pocketing nearly 80-percent of the money generated by the BCS bowls.

Its little wonder that when asked about helping college football at large with a playoff, Delany responded, I dont work for college football at large.

In another example of just how powerful Delany had gotten since the mid-90s, Josh Peter of Yahoo! Sports relates the story of how Notre Dames athletic director and the commissioner of the Sun Belt conference wanted to modify the BCS. They took the idea to Delany first for approval.

Wright Waters, the commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference, told Yahoo! Sports: If youre going to make it work, youve got to get Jim to sign on to it.

Delanys confidence in the system he helped create is so great he once said, If the public walks away from our games during the regular season and walks away from television during the regular season and walks away from the bowls, theyre saying, We wont support this anymore. We want something else. But I dont see them walking away from anything.

After the success that was the BCS, Delany went ahead and changed the landscape of college sports again. In the summer of 2006, the Big Ten announced it was launching its own network. Plenty of people were skeptical. The New York Times, in its story about the announcement, wrote, But can what is essentially a super-regional network thrive as a national channel?

As usual, Delany proved to be a visionary.

Delany banked on the what he called the Big Ten diaspora. He claimed there were 250,000 Big ten alumni in South California, 185,000 in the New York area and 150,000 on the east coast of Florida. If Delany was right, the TV markets in those areas alone (in addition to the Big Ten footprint) would more than pay for itself.

Well, it has. According to Delany, profits from 2009 doubled and the network brought in revenue of $209 million. Its currently available in 19 of the 20 largest television markets.

In fact, The New York Times told the story of one football recruit, Treyvon Green, who committed to Northwestern without setting foot on campus. He learned everything he needed to from the Big Ten Network:

Northwestern is a good fit for me and my family. Theyll be able to watch me on TV on the Big Ten Network, and thats important. I know they have great academics and a good football team.

UserPostedImage

The revenue generated from the Big Ten Network prompted other conferences and in the case of Texas universities to vie for their own network deals. This jockeying for position in turn created another college football shift which was led by, no surprise, the Big Ten.

With boat loads of cash floating around college sports, this past summer realignment because the hottest topic in the NCAA.

The Big Ten dropped the first domino with the addition of Nebraska, setting off a flurry of action across the country in the same way that Penn States addition did the same thing two decades ago. While we ended up with less movement than anticipated, the Pac-10 added Colorado and Utah while the Mountain West Conference said hello to Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State.

Much of the realignment was prompted by the network movement. Colorado and Utah fled for the possibility of more revenue through a new Pac-12 network. And Boise, Fresno and Nevada will now get their events covered by the conferences own network, The Mtn., although the station has struggled to gain its footing.

And Nebraska, who was getting weary of the power moving south in the Big 12 to Texas and Oklahoma, made its way to the Big Ten with its already successful Big Ten Network where member schools have gotten $6 million apiece from the network each of the last two years.

Said Nebraska AD Tom Osborne: We have 1.8 million people, I dont know how many television sets, but what we do bring is that most of them will be turned on when we play.

With the addition of one of the highest profile programs in the country and a conference championship game for football coming next season that will bring in an additional $15-20 million per year, Delany will be swimming in more cash than Scrooge McDuck.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Week-Long Series:
The Man Stopping College Footballs Playoff (Part V)

We delved into his early life and basketball background, explored his time as the commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference, looked at how he built his power as the Big Ten commissioner and helped form the BCS and talked about how he turned the college sports world upside down with the Big Ten Network and adding Nebraska to the conference. Now we try to answer why Jim Delany wants to keep the current BCS system as-is despite calls for its end from the media, fans and even college coaches. Its the fifth and final part of our week-long series on the man who is standing in the way of a college football playoff.

The biggest issue for a college football playoff isnt necessarily money. A playoff would make money. A lot of money, in fact.

According to a 2007 Yahoo! Sports profile on Delany, if the BCS just implemented a plus-one system where the four BCS bowls are played regularly but then the top two performers play in a final championship game that would generate an extra $50 million. Create a four, eight or 16-team playoff and the BCS would practically be printing its own money.

While the amount of money isnt an impediment for a playoff, the distribution of wealth is. Last season, the BCS conferences got 81 percent of the revenue generated from the four BCS bowl games and national championship game despite two non-BCS teams playing in BCS bowl games. So the big six conferences raked in $115.2 million, according to Street & Smiths Sports Business Journal.

And for Jim Delany and the Big Ten, the deal is even sweeter. The Big Ten and SEC both got $22.2 million from the BCS last season for having two teams in the BCS bowls. That was almost as much money as the rest of the non-automatic qualifiers got combined ($24 million) despite Boise State and TCU playing in the Fiesta Bowl. All told, the Big Ten and its schools made over $36 million from the bowl games last season.

Delany and the Rose Bowl have a pretty sweet deal set up, as they both seem to operate by their own set of rules.

The Sugar, Orange and Fiesta bowls all pay $6 million for that right. The Rose Bowl doesnt. Plus the Rose bowl never has to change time slots, making it easier to incorporate the game with the bowls parade. That means more money. The other bowls must constantly change time slots and the days festivities are many times disjointed. Not so good for business.

Did we mention the Rose Bowl has its own eight-year, $300 million TV contract with ABC despite all the other BCS bowl games being broadcast on Fox in recent years?

UserPostedImage

But a playoff, while it would generate a ton of money, wouldnt generate guaranteed money to the Big Ten. And Delany has shown he prefers the safe guaranteed route over the potential for major payoffs. He did it in the early 90s when he tied his second and third place teams to the middle-tier Citrus and Holiday Bowls.

At the time he defended his decision by saying: Our hope is that you can build up these bowls to where you can have six or seven healthy bowls, not four. This enhances the bowl structure and ourselves.

The end goal is securing as much money possible for the BCS conferences, primarily for the Big Ten. In a playoff scenario, the Big Ten could stand to make millions of dollars more if two conference teams played in the championship game. But imagine a dooms-day scenario in which the Big Ten champion finished ninth in the BCS standings and the conference was left out of an eight-team playoff altogether (the highest Big Ten team in the BCS standings is No. 7 Wisconsin).

Again, its not about the money made but the money distributed.

Delanys big defense of the BCS is how it preserves the excitement of the regular season. He might have a point there. Each regular season game does carry more weight without a playoff. But wed be foolish to think Delany is worried about the excitement of the regular season. Well let him explain it from a Yahoo! Sports profile in 2007:

Theres also no doubt in my mind that there would be a huge sucking sound coming out of the regular season towards the postseason because I know, as a fact, that there is a consumer dollar, there is a marketing dollar, there is an advertising dollar and its not an unlimited dollar.

Its a migratory dollar. And the dollar tends to follow those areas of those elements of a competitive season that are most attractive. And right now what I would say is that were at some sort of equilibrium of a bowl system and a championship game on the one hand. Theres some gravitas from an economic perspective, from a public interest perspective in the regular season. I see there being a balance.

So why does the NCAA not stand in and try to do something? Every other NCAA sport uses a playoff to determine its national champion. The problem is, the NCAA has no control over the BCS, which is managed by the 11 conference commissioners in the FBS. The BCS is basically an ongoing battle between the six BCS conference commissioners vs. the five non-BCS conference commissioners. Who do you think wins?

In college basketball, the sport with arguably the most exciting postseason, the six power conferences make up just a fraction of the 32 Division I conferences. Its much easier for the have-nots in college basketball to have a voice. Good luck with that in football.

In the recently released book Death to the BCS, the writers capture just how powerful Delany is:

(Delany) is one of the most powerful people in college athletics. His influence far outweighs that of even the NCAA president, because Delany belongs to the group that hijacked college football and refuses to let go.

(Joe) Paterno may be the king of the sport, but Delany is the ayatollah, speaking the word of God.

And that word is no.

No to a playoff. No to an extra championship game following the bowl season. No to any semblance of sanity in Americas greatest spectator sport. No to anything but the loathsome, odious, reviled BCS.

So how could we ultimately get a playoff? After all, no one thought the Big Ten, Pac-10 and the Rose Bowl would never join a bowl alliance, but they did when the BCS was formed in 1998. When Penn Sate got jobbed out of a national title in 1994 despite going undefeated and Ohio State almost got left out in the cold in 1995, Delany went into action.

The BCS has jobbed plenty of teams from a shot at the championship, most notably an undefeated Auburn team in 2004. And the public seems to think that if two undefeated teams get left out of the title game this year (probably Boise State and TCU), the BCS will fold due to public pressure. However, thats very naive. Public pressure means nothing to the BCS because it answers to no one.

Here are the ways a college football playoff could be formed:

Delany himself as said the huge attendance numbers and profits in college football prove the BCS works. The only way to prove him wrong is for people to stop attending and watching college football. Likelihood that happens? Zero.

The BCS shuts out an undefeated Big Ten team in order to prompt action from Delany. However, as possibly the strongest football conference in America, it appears highly unlikely that would ever happen.

Delany, 61, retires. But hes in no position to do such a thing yet. And even if he did, hed probably make sure the man, or woman, who replaced him would continue his agenda.

The government steps in. But even though President Barack Obama himself said there should be a playoff, lets be honest, they have a lot more important things to worry about than the BCS right now.

By far the most likely scenario, Delany figures out a plan that implements a playoff while still funneling most of the money to the Big Ten and the BCS conferences. He was the one that made the BCS happen in the first place in 1998 because he found a way to maintain the Big Tens Rose Bowl connection and still be eligible for a title game.

In 2007, Murray Sperber a former Indiana professor and outspoken critic of the current college sports system said: Dont be totally shocked if in a year or two or three Delany and these people reverse field and they said weve decided to bow to the public and do the playoff. If the money is there.

If the money is there. Thats the key. So, yes, a playoff could very well happen in the future. But just remember who will likely guide that process. And then ask yourself, who will this playoff ultimately benefit?

Well eventually get what we want only if college football kneels and kisses the ring of Jim Delany to make it happen; an acknowledgment that Delany truly is the Godfather of college sports.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Holy shit.. TL:DR. Maybe later.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
HAwtfdtm?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dhazer
13 years ago
I think the BCS should loose the C and then just call it the BS poll. It still goes off of human polls and the favoritism the SEC gets every year. I think the SEC is over rated but yet every year it seems like they have like 7 or 8 teams in the top 25. Go to a playoff and let the best team actually win.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

I thought that was gonna happen last weekend. Then they "lucked out" and pulled the game out.
I'd LOVE to see them lose.
But if Ohio State won, and the Badgers lose, we'd lose the RB bid.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Yeah, but it was Purdue.

I could be wrong, but I believe Joe Pa has never loss at home against Michigan State.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (17h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (18h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (21h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (21h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (21h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.