Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101124/PKR01/101124152/Rodgers-only-30-throws-shy-of-passer-rating-record-books 

Aaron Rodgers might land a spot among the elite in the NFL record books Sunday at Atlanta.

In his third season as a starter, Rodgers is only 30 pass attempts shy of the 1,500 minimum to qualify for the NFLs list of career leaders for passer rating. When he qualifies, whether thats this week or next, chances are hell rank No. 2 on the all-time list, behind only San Diegos Philip Rivers and immediately ahead of Steve Young, Tony Romo and Peyton Manning.

Its pretty cool to be mentioned with those guys there, because theyre real talented quarterbacks, Rodgers said when shown the list of the top five. Hall of Famer (i.e., Young), future Hall of Famer (Manning), potential future Hall of Famers (Rivers, Romo and Rodgers). Whats not on that list is, no Super Bowls (Rivers), no Super Bowls (Rodgers), one Super Bowl (Young), no Super Bowls (Romo), one Super Bowl (Manning). Guys get remembered more for winning Super Bowls than for passer ratings.

Passer rating, which is a formula based on four statistics (yards per attempt, completion percentage, touchdown percentage and interception percentage), has become one of the two most-used standards for measuring NFL quarterbacks, along with wins and losses. But its hardly the be all and end all.

In the mid-1970s, the NFL began changing rules to favor the passing game, and it hasnt stopped. This has made for an increasingly pass-oriented league, and passer ratings that continually rise with those changes. When defensive backs could drill receivers all over the field and offensive linemen couldnt use their hands, it was a lot harder to complete passes and avoid interceptions.

Thus, there are Pro Football Hall of Famers who rank surprisingly far down the list, and middling quarterbacks of more recent vintage who rank high.

For instance, Houstons Matt Schaub (91.4 points) is No. 11 in all-time passer rating, Miamis Chad Pennington (90.1 points) is No. 12 and Daunte Culpepper (87.8 points) is No. 13. Its hard to think any of them would crack the list of even the all-time top 100 quarterbacks.

On the other side, Dan Marino (86.4 points) ranks only No. 19, Troy Aikman (81.6 points) is tied at No. 42, Dan Fouts (80.2 points) is No. 57, John Elway (79.9 points) is No. 59 and Johnny Unitas (78.2 points) is tied for No. 69. Theyre all in the Hall of Fame, and at least three (Elway, Unitas and Marino) probably rank among the top 10 quarterbacks ever. Yet all but Marino rank behind Jacksonvilles mediocre David Garrard (No. 20 at 86.2 points) in passer rating.

Its a decent barometer, Rodgers said. Take the components of it: its efficiency, yards per attempt; its efficiency in touchdowns per attempts; its taking care of the football, interception percentage; completion percentage. I think its a good barometer of the type of quarterback you are. It doesnt measure a big run you might have had or a throwaway. But its a decent enough barometer.

Rodgers was one of five quarterbacks who finished last season with a passer rating of at least 100 points he was No. 4 at 103.2 points but will have to play near his level of the last couple of weeks over the final six games to hit the 100-point mark this year.

In the Packers first seven games, he threw nine interceptions, which is two more than his total for 2009. In the last three games, hes thrown seven touchdown passes and no interceptions. In the last two, wins over the New York Jets and Minnesota, his passer ratings were 131.5 points and 141.3 points, which is getting toward the maximum rating of 158.3 and suggests he could be on his way to a strong run in the second half. Thats pushed his season rating to 95.7, No. 8 in the league.

I think hes just being more exact with his decision-making, coach Mike McCarthy said of Rodgers recent play. His ball accuracy has been pretty consistent all year. I think sometimes you can play a little too fast. Sometimes you can be a little too smart. We had some of the turnovers there in the beginning of the year, particularly on third down. Thats not what you want.

But I think hes really in a groove right now. Hes playing with a lot of rhythm. Hes making plays with his feet. Hes playing the way that he expects to play and the way we expect him to play.

Rodgers looks like a quarterback who consistently will have a passer rating at least in the 90s because he combines accurate throwing (63.9 percent in his career) with relatively low-risk decision making, which will keep his interception totals down. So, even if he stays healthy enough to have a long career, its realistic to think he can finish with one of the highest ratings in league history.

But other more intangible qualities also will determine how much he accomplishes. Rodgers said hes learned that skills such as leadership are as much learned as innate, which offensive coordinator Joe Philbin drove home when he pulled him aside early in his career as a starter and told him his body language sometimes revealed frustration and made it look like he was blaming mistakes on teammates.

Being a quarterback, youre being watched not only by the TV audience and the fans, he said, but by your teammates, whose opinions really, really matter, and who are looking to you for leadership and for energy and for enthusiasm and how your demeanor is. Thats something you have to think about on a daily basis.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Passer rating is a good stat for the modern game, but unfortunately it does not work for comparing QBs of different eras. It emphasizes stats that are maximized in the West Coast type offenses that came into vogue in the early 90s. So this doesn't mean a whole lot, but hey, I'll take it.
blank
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
They should take out YAC. The QB doesn't run after the throw, so he shouldn't get credit for it.

To look at old timers, you should look at them in relation to their contemporaries.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I actually agree. For example, during the Patriots/Lions game today, Tom Brady threw about 10 or 15 yards downfield to a wide-open receiver, but it went down as a 79-yard pass for a touchdown. Not because he did anything special, but because the cornerback was absolutely incapable of taking down the receiver. He actually missed the receiver three times on a single play. Why should Brady receive credit for the entire play when his contribution was relatively minor (and easy).
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Take out YAC? Are you guys kidding? YAC often (or even usually) has a lot to do with the QB hitting his receiver in stride so that he doesn't have to slow down or change course as he makes the catch. Favre was the master at that.

Brady got lucky on that long TD. He underthrew the ball, allowing the DB to get back into the play, but Branch was still able to elude him. That was the same DB, Alphonso Smith, who made that impressive interception on that deep ball to Greg Jennings. He played like a clown all day yesterday.
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago

I actually agree. For example, during the Patriots/Lions game today, Tom Brady threw about 10 or 15 yards downfield to a wide-open receiver, but it went down as a 79-yard pass for a touchdown. Not because he did anything special, but because the cornerback was absolutely incapable of taking down the receiver. He actually missed the receiver three times on a single play. Why should Brady receive credit for the entire play when his contribution was relatively minor (and easy).

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Because that same QB gets the interception in his column when the ball hits the guy in the hands and the receiver pops it up for the d-back. If you are going to make yac a seperate category, then you'll have to do it for tipped balls that are intercepted. It doesn't seem too complicated. Either that or we have lazy statisticians.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I have repeatedly advocated creating a statistical category that holds receivers responsible for failing to complete the catch. When the ball caroms off the hands or chest of the receiver into the paws of the defender, I don't think that should count as an interception. It should go down as a drop or something to that effect.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
QB rating isn't the end all be all stat. Greg C is spot on about eras. It's easier to get a good QB rating today than it was even 10 years ago. Using an example we'll all be familiar with, there's no way you can convince me that Brett Favre was better last year than he was in his 3 straight MVP seasons, despite the QB rating difference.

QB is one of those positions that there are too many intangibles to slap a simple rating on.

Still, I'm happy for Aaron. I think Aaron would be much happier though to have 3 or 4 SB Rings than the highest QB rating of all time. Don't want to speak for another man, but I bet if one of us ever got a chance to interview him, he'll respond so if asked that question.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Take out YAC? Are you guys kidding? YAC often (or even usually) has a lot to do with the QB hitting his receiver in stride so that he doesn't have to slow down or change course as he makes the catch. Favre was the master at that.

Brady got lucky on that long TD. He underthrew the ball, allowing the DB to get back into the play, but Branch was still able to elude him. That was the same DB, Alphonso Smith, who made that impressive interception on that deep ball to Greg Jennings. He played like a clown all day yesterday.

"Greg C." wrote:

I can't believe someone would even consider removing YAC from a QB. Most QB's can hit a stationary target. The real trick is throwing it into a tight window while the WR is moving and making him not miss his stride.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago

I have repeatedly advocated creating a statistical category that holds receivers responsible for failing to complete the catch. When the ball caroms off the hands or chest of the receiver into the paws of the defender, I don't think that should count as an interception. It should go down as a drop or something to that effect.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree 100000000000000% but there is an issue..

What I may think is a catchable ball, you or someone else doesnt think it was a catchable ball..

WR had to jump and reach high as possible but ball slips thru hands is intercepted..I say he could catch it, you say he couldnt...Or diving in the air I say he couldnt catch it, you say he could

It will NEVER be a perfect way to call that, so this is the only acceptable way of ruling it
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (1h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (17h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (17h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (20h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.