longtimefan
13 years ago

Based on the injuries this year, Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have my vote for coach and GM of the year. Mike McCarthy for the job he and the coaching staff have done prepping the team/replacement players every week, and Ted Thompson for getting Mike McCarthy the players in the first place.

The injuries the Packers have sustained would have been devastating to most teams, and the fact that the Packers are 7-3 and tied for the division lead just emphasize what a terrific job they are doing.

In my book, both Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have earned a pass for the forseeable future.

IR or missed significant time
Finley
Grant
Harris
Bigby
Barnett
Jones
Burnett
Martin
Tauscher
Poppinga
Neal
Harrell
Blackmon
Jolly (suspension)

"macbob" wrote:

I would agree...But could/should we add Clay and Pickett?
Stevetarded
13 years ago

See this is where stats don't prove a point, all 3 of those backs share the backfield. So of course their stats will be lower

"dhazer" wrote:

Their 3.1 and 3.5 averages wouldn't. Lynch and Barber are playing like garbage this year and that's a fact.

As for "sharing the backfield" Jackson has 122 carries, Lynch has 118 and Barber has 102. I don't see what significance you find in sharing the backfield when they all have a similar amount of carries.

The point is I think that none of those players are showing that they are so much better that they would have been worth a 3rd round pick.
blank
longtimefan
13 years ago

I'm suprised every now and then by threads like this.

a) Why are there people who still don't trust Ted Thompson?

b) Why do people just parrot the media like ESPN? Why do they not think for themselves?

c) Why do people doubt the ability of the coaching staff to develop players? Tramon Williams and Sam Shields were undrafted free agents.

d) Signing overpriced jerks with baggage is not Ted Thompson's way.

e) The people that work for the Packers know more about football than the people in the media.

"CaliforniaCheez" wrote:

It will happen again next year during free agency
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
The guy in front of Lynch now is averaging 4.4 and he is averaging 3.1 ypc. That tells me he is the problem. Overall may be lower because he shares carries, but the per carry average shouldn't be effected.

Last year in Buffalo, the guy in front of and the guy behind Lynch both averaged 4.5 while he averaged 3.8 ypc.

There is no other conclusion, he sucks.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
13 years ago

See this is where stats don't prove a point, all 3 of those backs share the backfield. So of course their stats will be lower

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Are you honestly...with a straight fucking face...trying to tell me that Brandon Jackson isn't sharing carries?

"dhazer" wrote:

+1.
Brandon may be sharing carries, but take away that 75 yard run, and let's see what his average is. lol.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
DeAngelo Williams has been placed on the IR ages ago so you can't compare his stats with Brandon's.
This is a placeholder
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
I have to admit that B-Jack has been progressively earning the role of starting RB and his stats are competitive with other starters in the league. I was getting anxious for us to make some moves by week 4; especially after seeing our rivals pick up some veteran support like Moss. Since then, the Moss trade has proven to be one of the biggest busts ever and other trades have not payed off either. TT's approach to stay the course has proven to be a definite success this year.

I also give credit to Mike McCarthy in creating more running plays out of the shotgun and really thinking of plays to make us appear less predictable.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
dhazer
13 years ago
Well I don't like the whole splitting carries thing I can see where the teams are coming from, They don't want the back to take to much pounding thus having his body fresh down the stretch. But then you run into problems with some backs that need to get the ball 20 times to get into the flow of the game. I recall hearing Barry Sanders say he needed to touch the ball alot just to get into the game. AP is another one that needs to carry the ball 20 times.

Out of the 3 you mention D Williams is the one I really wanted, I would love to have the backfield of Williams and Grant next year.

Also you point out yards per carry as the main stat, well that could be flawed also when you think Barber usually gets the ball on the short yardage plays. So when the defense knows your running it is kind of hard to have a huge average.

Just some thoughts, I am not saying we screwed up by not getting one of these guys, just saying you can't look at the stats.

I will try and do some searching,because I am interested in seeing how many teams actually have a shared backfield. Off the top of my head the 2 best rushing teams (don't quote me on the rankings) Atlanta and the Giants have a split backfield.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

Are you honestly...with a straight fucking face...trying to tell me that Brandon Jackson isn't sharing carries?

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

+1.
Brandon may be sharing carries, but take away that 75 yard run, and let's see what his average is. lol.

"dhazer" wrote:

While we are at it let's take away all the big runs from every other back in the league.
This is a placeholder
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

"nerdmann" wrote:

+1.

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

While we are at it let's take away all the big runs from every other back in the league.

"dhazer" wrote:

Exactly. Let's try that with Adrian Peterson and he'll look like a horrible back, all of a sudden.

His statlines are usually something like 1, 3, 2, -1, 5, 0, 48.

I agree that, on such a small sample, Brandon's stats might be a bit skewed, but you can't take those big runs away. He's just not a guy who consistently gets you 5 yards, ramming it up the middle.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.