Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4847§ion_id=40 

[img_r]http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/4847/atlantaaaron.jpg[/img_r]ATLANTA The shower inside the visitors locker room at the Georgia Dome probably wasnt the ideal spot for a heart-to-heart conversation, but Greg Jennings had something to say to Aaron Rodgers, and it couldnt wait.

The Green Bay Packers had just lost yet another close game on Rodgers watch a 20-17 defeat at the hands of the Atlanta Falcons that ran Rodgers career record in games decided by four points or fewer to 2-12 since taking over as the starter in 2008 -- and Jennings, Rodgers go-to receiver, wanted to remind his quarterback that this one wasnt on him.

I told him in the shower, We did what we were called upon to do. But its a team game, Jennings said after Falcons kicker Matt Bryant made a 47-yard field goal with 9 seconds left to send Rodgers and the Packers to defeat. When you have a letdown in other categories, you put pressure on the defense. (Special teams) put them in a bad position against a very good offense. We just cant hurt ourselves like that.

Rodgers certainly wasnt perfect Sunday. His first-half fumble on a third-and-goal quarterback keeper from the 1-yard line cost the Packers points they desperately could have used in a game in which they never held the lead, rallying from 3-0, 10-3 and 17-10 deficits.

I thought Aaron Rodgers played huge today, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. He had the one play he wishes he had back. But just the way he played with his feet, extended plays, handled the big pressure, the operation of the no-huddle he did an outstanding job. You want to walk away with victories, but that was probably one of his better individual performances.

And when the game was on the line trailing 17-10 with 5 minutes, 59 seconds to play and starting from his own 10-yard line, Rodgers delivered, capping a 16-play, 90-yard drive with a 10-yard pinpoint touchdown pass to Jordy Nelson on fourth-and-goal.

Of the 16 plays on the drive, only two a 5-yard run by Brandon Jackson to start the drive and an 8-yard run by Jackson later didnt involve Rodgers. He completed eight of 12 passes for 83 yards and the touchdown and also ran for a 7-yard gain.

I feel bad for the offense and Aaron and Jordy. That whole drive was awesome, Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk said. I mean, thats how youre supposed to do it. Those are career-defining drives for a guy like Aaron. You still have to give him a ton of credit. We let them get back in there and get in field-goal range, and the kicker did a good job to make the kicks.

After the defense forced a punt and Tramon Williams fair-caught it at the 10-yard line, Rodgers went right to work out of the no-huddle offense. hitting rookie tight end Andrew Quarless for big completions of 11 and 19 yards. After narrowly avoiding an interception, Rodgers hit Greg Jennings for 15 yards on second-and-10 from the Falcons 45, then dumped off to Jackson for a 9-yard gain. Back-to-back incompletions then set up fourth-and-1 from the Atlanta 21.

Spread out in the Big Five five-receiver set and operating from the shotgun in an empty backfield, Rodgers escaped pressure, tried to run, then spotted James Jones and backhanded the ball to him for an 18-yard gain, keeping the drive alive and giving the Packers first-and-goal at the Atlanta 3.

The first-down play began with Rodgers having plenty of time and ended with him being sacked for a 5-yard loss he was also stripped by John Abraham but recovered the ball following by an incompletion to Jones and a 1-yard checkdown to Jackson.

Then, after a Bryan Bulaga false start, the Packers faced fourth-and-goal from the 10. Again with Big Five personnel on the field, Rodgers took the shotgun snap and waited and waited and waited before rolling left and raring back with a fastball to Nelson, who made the catch in the back corner of the end zone.

Just an extended play, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin explained. Wednesday, when we got together (as coaches), we had studied our game against them in 08 and we noticed that a lot of times they had dropped eight people off in coverage. We had made an emphasis all week that weve got to extend some plays we call that a zeke coverage. Aaron did a great job extending the play. And Jordy, he may have been coming from the other side and weaved his way around.

But the ensuing kickoff set up the Falcons for the game-winner, handing the Packers their fourth loss of the season, all on field goals in the final 10 seconds of regulation or in overtime.

If you look at the (close) games, Aarons doing an outstanding job, veteran center Scott Wells said. We all make mistakes in games. Everybody as a whole has to pick it up to win games like this. Its never one guys fault. Its unfair on any game to point the finger at him. He leads us, he commands that huddle, hes our leader on the field, and he marched us down the field and got the touchdown.

I dont know what else youd want him to do at that time.

In the end, though, it wasnt enough.

It's disappointing. You go down and score and tie it up and you're thinking overtime. We enjoyed the heck out of that drive. It was nice, Rodgers said. Mike gave me some freedom in that drive and we made some good plays. We were all tired. I think every person on the field was tired, both sides of the ball. But to get that in for a touchdown and have that high of tying it up was pretty special. But we lost the game.

UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
13 years ago
think i had a post with a similar theme a wile back (AZ playoffs)

coincidence, fluke, trend, pattern?

Rodgers deserves alot of credit though, that drive was exactly what we couldn't do in 08'.

sidenote: my ass still hurts from the chat boot :pottytrain2: <-- ouch

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Cheesey
13 years ago
That's the thing.....he did HIS job. The "special teams" and defense let the TEAM down when it mattered most.
Can't put this on Aaron Rodgers at ALL.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
His fumble cost the Packers 3 points in the 2nd quarter...hardly a game changing moment relative to how much positive he did the rest of the game. The failure to challenge the Gonzalez drop was just as influential.

He was throwing low early in the game, otherwise he was moving around in the pocket as well as I've ever seen, was our lead rusher, made huge throws like the ones to Jordy, Jones (flip) and Quarless late in the game.
peteralan71
13 years ago
Rodgers had a great game. He fumbled. Apparently the reason that he fumbled is because he hit is ulnar nerve (AKA "funny bone") on the play before, so he was holding the ball in his left hand on the fumble play. It just so happens that he fumbled right when we were about to score. It happens. He brought the Packers back on more than 1 occasion in a VERY difficult environment. We really couldn't have asked for more out of Rodgers, short of not fumbling, which even the best players in the NFL do.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

That's the thing.....he did HIS job. The "special teams" and defense let the TEAM down when it mattered most.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I don't know if the defense really let us down all that much, did they? They gave up something like 20 yards. That one goes on the ST IMO. It was just unfortunate that it happened this way, but it won't happen again. If we see them in the playoffs, I think we will beat them, and well.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It drives me nuts that apparently there was such a communication breakdown that Mike McCarthy didn't know about the blow to Rodgers' funny bone. Had he known, he surely wouldn't have called the second sneak . . . would he? And if the reason he didn't know is that Rodgers didn't inform him, I find that unacceptable. Sure, it's laudable to tough an injury out, but not if it endangers the success of the ensuing play.

On a bright note, Rodgers accounted for 395 yards of offense yesterday. That's pretty damn impressive.
UserPostedImage
Since69
13 years ago

"peteralan71" wrote:

I don't know if the defense really let us down all that much, did they? They gave up something like 20 yards. That one goes on the ST IMO. It was just unfortunate that it happened this way, but it won't happen again. If we see them in the playoffs, I think we will beat them, and well.

"Cheesey" wrote:

We're not beating anyone in the playoffs with our running game. Kinda hard to throw when opposing defenses are dropping 7 or 8 into coverage on every down because they know we can't run.

I wanted to scream every time I saw that goddamn 5-WR set on 3rd (or 4th) and 1.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"Since69" wrote:

"peteralan71" wrote:

We're not beating anyone in the playoffs with our running game. Kinda hard to throw when opposing defenses are dropping 7 or 8 into coverage on every down because they know we can't run.

I wanted to scream every time I saw that goddamn 5-WR set on 3rd (or 4th) and 1.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Why? Because those actually worked?

The drives where we went 70/30 pass/run were the ones we actually got somewhere with. The drives where we tried to establish a running game, we went for a yard, lost another two and got into 3rd and long situations.

When we "gave up" on the run, the running game started opening up. We're not a team that pounds the ball when Grant is out. With B-Jax, we should run it Patriots style. As soon as we started passing and calling some draws to slow down the pass rush, we started getting some yardage on the ground.

And I know that the whole "teeing off on the QB" aspect will come back, but how much did that really bother us this game? On those 5 receiver sets, every single time they brought an extra blitzer, we picked up about 5 yards, getting it to the hot receiver.

Can't blame the defense, either. Check Matt Ryan's statline. Check Turner's stats. Check the safety play. We were playing bend but don't break to the extreme all day long.

And we did a damn good job.

Take out our mishaps on STs and we give up 17 points to one of the most potent offensen in the NFL. That's nothing to be ashamed off.
Timmons
13 years ago
The only way the empty backfield works is if Aaron can scramble as well, and he did. Otherwise, I still say it's bad business tipping your hand to a passing play before the ball is even snapped.

Our lack of a running game is going to be why we don't win more than one playoff game. The Pack is great at what they do, yet without any running game at all, we're not going anywhere this year. We are a running back and another passing rushing OLB away from being the dominant team in the NFC.

While, I'm on it, WTF would you call a QB sneak when Aaron is the only offense that you have? It is not worth the injury. If he hot-reads no LBers, then he can audible it if he is seeing something on the line. I don't think Aaron should ever be sneaking. JFC. He is our next decade.

It was good to see the Pack get that last scoring drive in and overall our performance was good. This game, however, should be clue enough that we're not going to win games against playoff caliber teams. If we do get in, (and I think our hope is a WC or nothing) we'll win one game at the most. The Bears have been continuing their "Lucky streak" for basically the entire season. There is no reason that will change now. Cutler is inconsistent, but not enough to benefit the Packers from here on out.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (5h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (6h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (9h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (9h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.