Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I had a post typed up on this subject before after the game.. especially the phantom swing and look after the overthrow in the corner of the endzone.. Rodgers is starting to walk a fine line between being a leader and being a whinny "Payton like" jackass.

I don't have much issue with the Johnson or Quarless rips because of mistakes.. but you can start to see him become animated and reactionary towards others even when it was his error.

The throw to Driver was his error.. one of few.. but body language speaks a ton.

This isn't the first time, but the most noticeable to date. Tread lightly my friend...

Rodgers: "I'm an emotional player" 
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Dec. 8, 2010 4:37 p.m. |(1) Comments

Green Bay -- Peyton Manning does it often. Tom Brady does it once in awhile. Brett Favre almost never did it.

Whether to get on your teammates for mental mistakes is something every quarterback has to ponder because it can definitely backfire. Guys with the cache of Manning, Brady and Favre could take a belt to offenders at the 50-yard line and no one would blink an eye.

As we saw Sunday against San Francisco, Aaron Rodgers was very demonstrative in pointing out mental errors, dressing down fullback Quinn Johnson, chirping at tight end Andrew Quarless and in one instance, seemingly getting irate with wide receiver Donald Driver.

Many a quarterback has been emotional, but he also has to be careful how far he goes.
"I think as a quarterback and as a leader, you have to find ways to get through to your teammates," Rodgers said. "Some guys do better with a confrontation, some guys with a pat on the butt, some guys a one-on-one sit down. I'm an emotional player, and sometimes I share my emotions on the field, sometimes I share them in public.

"But I think some of the mistakes we've been making are so correctable, it's often most frustrating when I know those are mistakes that shouldn't happen. And when you've playing a tight game, you can't have alignment mistakes."

Rodgers was speaking more of the mistakes Quarless, a rookie, and Johnson, a second-year player made. Rodgers patted Johnson on the helmet after chewing him out.

As for the other instance, it turned out the swinging of his arm in total frustration was not aimed at Driver, an 11-year veteran who was unable to catch up to the ball thrown over his head in the corner on a first-and-goal play at the 6. But it sure seemed that way from afar.

It's not a good idea to show up a guy as honored as Driver, and even if you weren't showing him up you risk that possibility when you don't control your emotions.

Rodgers wouldn't say who he was gesturing at, but receiver Greg Jennings was on the same side as Driver, was a little late off the ball after going in motion and may have taken the route inside instead of outside. So it could have been Jennings. And if it wasn't Jennings then it was someone on the sideline.

On the very next play, Rodgers had to call a timeout because Quarless apparently wasn't lined up right.

"Sometimes I say things," Rodgers said. "I guess its frustrating when its a little thing and it shouldnt be an issue, I think. Youre probably talking about me getting on Quinn a little bit when he couldnt line up in the right spot. To me, that goes back to preparation.

"To me, physical mistakes are going to happen. They just are. Im going to throw a bad ball, guys are going to drop passes, might not be able to make a play at some point. But the mental stuff, I just have a really hard time with that. Because I just feel like the preparation should be the most important thing for these guys. "

Driver said he accepts Rodgers for the kind of person he is. He admitted Rodgers is cocky.

"But in a good way," Driver said. "I'm cocky. It goes hand in hand. I think I'm one of the best. He thinks he's one of the best quarterbacks. That's pretty good."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
I agree that the gesture on the miss to Driver did not look good. Rodgers has said that one important thing he learned after his first season was to not let his body language convey his frustration on the field, because that's not a good quality in a leader. It was disappointing to see him slip back into that mode on Sunday.

On the plus side, Aaron does seem to be friendly and approachable off the field with his teammates. He doesn't seem like an aloof kind of guy. That probably allows him to be more critical of his teammates on the field. Still, he does need to be careful with this stuff. It could go in a bad direction.
blank
porky88
13 years ago
Anyone see Tom Brady on the sideline against Pittsburgh?

If Rodgers displays half of that kinda of leadership, the Packers are in good hands for along time. I am okay with him chewing out players or even a slight stare down.

If Donald Driver is consistently making mistakes out there, then Driver should be held accountable. Same goes for any player.

Although, I agree there are times it is called for and it's not. The Driver play didn't really catch me or I didn't think anything of it. Regardless, the players should know Rodgers' personality by now.
Stevetarded
13 years ago
How do you guys automatically know who was responsible for each "error"? Do you get a list of play calls or something? If so could I get a link because I'd like to have them also.

I have no problem at all with Rodgers getting after people for screwing up. He seems like a guy who prepares his ass off and it's gotta be shitty to have a fellow "professional" not know what to do out there.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

How do you guys automatically know who was responsible for each "error"? Do you get a list of play calls or something? If so could I get a link because I'd like to have them also.

I have no problem at all with Rodgers getting after people for screwing up. He seems like a guy who prepares his ass off and it's gotta be shitty to have a fellow "professional" not know what to do out there.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

What are you talking about? Who said that they knew who was responsible for each "error"? Am I missing something?

As for Rodgers getting after people, I don't think it's really an issue at this time, but players do take notice of those things, and they may not take kindly to being called out in public or seeing their teammates being called out in public. It's not something that a QB should do too often. It's better to save it for the sidelines, when the cameras and the fans in the stands are not watching.
blank
RaiderPride
13 years ago
"Rodgers is starting to walk a fine line between being a leader and being a whinny "Payton like" jackass. "

I did not read past this line of this post. It is ridiculous. How dare you write those words. This is Aaron Freaking Rodgers.

If you want to shit on someone... Shit on the O Line, The WR's who just weeks ago did not understand the concept of a back shoulder throw.

Aaron has perhaps made two (TWO) mistakes all season. That is it.

I have no respect for this post, or the poster. It is just Blabber!

By the way.... I am just fucking kidding....

I just wanted the chance to act like Grave Digger responding to a negative post when Favre was starting for the Packers.

Good Post 93Z You are right, everyone needs a check up from the neck up once in a while. I hope Aaron's head does not get as big as it could.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Greg. I think it is me claiming the error on the Driver play was Rodgers.. look at where the ball was thrown and look at the route ran.. how can it be anyone's issue but the guy that threw it too far outside?

Driver would have to be Shaq for the moment to corral that one.. IMO.

I am not ripping Rodgers.. but I think Greg put it best.. teammates notice things like that.. things that put that golden boy stain on the QB's in general.

My notation is more that I don't want Aaron to develop that "whinny bitch" trait Peyton displays at times.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Stevetarded
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

What are you talking about? Who said that they knew who was responsible for each "error"? Am I missing something?

As for Rodgers getting after people, I don't think it's really an issue at this time, but players do take notice of those things, and they may not take kindly to being called out in public or seeing their teammates being called out in public. It's not something that a QB should do too often. It's better to save it for the sidelines, when the cameras and the fans in the stands are not watching.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

"The throw to Driver was his error"

I'm sure Rodgers knows how to handle the locker room and deal with his teammates. I'm going to go ahead and leave it to his discretion and not complain every time he looks like he's getting after someone.
blank
dhazer
13 years ago
I remember bringing this same exact thing earlier in the year but I got ripped on saying I'm a hater. But I did notice he was starting to whine to the refs and yell at players.

Ok I said my piece now start your ripping.

Oh ya one more thing, he really needs to stop with the belt thing, he hasn't won shit yet.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago

I'm sure Rodgers knows how to handle the locker room and deal with his teammates. I'm going to go ahead and leave it to his discretion and not complain every time he looks like he's getting after someone.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Who is complaining every time?

It is a observation .. nothing more nothing less.

Guess those shouldn't be voiced eh. 😉