Finley88Beast
13 years ago
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cc41a0/article/packers-rookie-rb-starks-lifts-struggling-ground-game 

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- James Starks had 18 carries for 73 yards against the San Francisco 49ers and his coaches didn't cite him for any major mistakes in pass protection. He even remembered to thank his offensive linemen.

Not bad for a rookie who hadn't played a meaningful down in nearly two years.

"The kid, he never gave the impression that it was too big for him," Packers running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "He was poised, I guess you could say. Even in pregame warmups, you saw it in his eyes. This kid was ready to play."

He certainly had plenty of time to get ready before.

Starks missed his entire senior season at Buffalo because of a shoulder injury and slipped to the sixth round of the draft before the Packers chose him.

Then he hurt his hamstring in offseason workouts and began the season on the physically unable to perform list. Green Bay added him to the active roster Nov. 9 but he didn't get into a game until Sunday.

"Even when I was out, I was in the playbook a lot more than probably the other guys," Starks said. "They were probably tired and drained out. I had a little extra time to study the playbook and get in there and learn concepts a lot more. I feel like I'm pretty much catching up. It doesn't feel like I'm far behind at all."

Coaches believe Starks has far more to show, and are eager to see his speed.

"When he comes off the back end, you better watch out," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "It's going to the end zone."

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Bennett insists the 6-2, 218-pound Starks runs a sub-4.4-second 40-yard dash and can be a breakaway threat.

"Oh yeah," Bennett said. "He has that type of ability."

Bennett praised Starks for using his time away from football to prepare.

"This kid was coming in here early and leaving late, studying film and making sure he was raring to go," Bennett said. "Like I said, it was about making the most of his opportunity. And he was excited to get out there and play with his teammates. He kept talking about going down and complimenting the offensive line for the job they were doing, I mean, when you see a young kid that in tune, making sure that he thanked his teammates, that's what it's all about."

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers -- who hasn't been afraid to get after teammates for their mental mistakes of late -- made it clear he wants to see more out of Starks and other younger players in practice.

"Say what you want about Ryan Grant. Obviously, I think he's a lot more appreciated in injury than in health, unfortunately," Rodgers said. "That guy, no one could ever question his practice habits. Look at Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Brett Swain. Those guys practice as well as everybody. Every day they bring it. Jermichael (Finley) became that player this season. I want to see those young guys take that seriously.

"Because how can I have any confidence in you being on the field if you can't show me what you can do in practice? That to me, is the most important thing. And that's what being a professional is about. This is a whole-week job."

The fact that Starks' debut was such a big deal in Green Bay this week shows just how badly the Packers running game is struggling going into Sunday's game at Detroit.

Green Bay has had a pass-first offense under McCarthy, and that certainly hasn't changed after a season-ending ankle injury to Grant in Week 1. Rodgers was their leading rusher in a loss at Atlanta two weeks ago.

Brandon Jackson has struggled, and has made the case in recent weeks that he needs more carries to get into a rhythm. That isn't likely to happen if Starks can show that his debut wasn't a fluke.

"I would like to have some type of rotation of all three of those backs, but Brandon is still our main guy," McCarthy said. "He's done it all year. As I've stated before, I don't think it's in our best interests with as much football as we have in front of us to sit there and run Brandon Jackson 25 times a game."

Jackson didn't complain about getting only four carries to Starks' 18 on Sunday.

"He just adds another dimension," Jackson said. "Hopefully, he's going to do good things in the running game to help push us forward."

Starks said he'll take whatever the coaches are willing to give him.

"We've got great backs," Starks said. "Whatever is asked of me, that's what I'm going to do. I'm up for any challenge, just as the other backs are. If you put us in the right situation, we'll all succeed."

A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Yerko
13 years ago
You gotta love what the kid is already bringing to the Packers. He seems very grateful to be in the position he is in and is making the best out of it here and now.

I want to see that sub 4.4 speed....hot damn.
UserPostedImage
Since69
13 years ago
I hope we see a heavy dose of him against the Lions...
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
I hope so too, more so since I picked him up in my fantasy playoffs because I didn't like the Benson vs. Pittsburgh matchup.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.