4PackGirl
13 years ago
i was amazed by his poise & calm demeanor. no deer in the headlights look from him. that impressed me the most.
nerdmann
13 years ago
We've seen enough of him to know how he plays. Does some nice things, moves the ball, then throws an INT eventually.
Might be better practicing with the starters.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
13 years ago

Agreed on the mobility and the pocket presence, but not on the ability to throw deep. And it wasn't just that he put a lot of air under the ball. He did not throw an accurate deep pass all day, and because of that he left three TDs on the field.

There's plenty of blame to go around--all of it on the offense--so I don't want to be too harsh on the backup QB who had to come into a game with no running game and not a lot of time to throw the ball. But the fact is that you need a pretty good QB to run this offense, and Flynn was not even close to being pretty good. Our backup QB situation is much more worrisome today than it was yesterday.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I would have to disagree. He did complete one pass to Jennings for about 35 yards in the 4th when Jennings was covered by CB Houston on the Lions. He may have missed on a couple of deep balls (Driver along the sideline comes to mind, as does Jennings on 4th and 1 on final drive) but it's not like he overthrew them terribly. I'm assuming he doesn't get much reps with Driver / Jennings, so I think those off-throws are easily correctable if he can get more comfortable with his receivers and understand when to take a little something off the ball.

Still, I think as far as back-ups go, he is okay. Compared to the elite QB play we've had for almost 20 years, sure Flynn is lacking, but for a back-up he got the offense going on some drives and generally did okay - minus the horrendous INT. I don't think you can expect more from a back-up than that who had no running game and an O-line that was sub-par (and that is putting it nicely).

"Greg C." wrote:

There is room for disagreement here, but I think the long completion to Jennings was actually a pretty mediocre throw. With a better throw he hits Jennings in stride for a TD. I think you can expect a lot more from a backup QB that what we saw from Flynn today. I'm not writing him off yet, as this is only one game, but the lack of accuracy is what really stood out to me, as well as the lack of authority on the longer throws. I don't expect him to hit on all of them. He is only a backup after all. But he needed to hit at least one of them, and he couldn't get it done.
blank
rabidgopher04
13 years ago

It's interesting that a couple of weeks ago on the Mike McCarthy show, Rodgers was asked about not sliding and he said he wanted to prove to his critics that he is tough, and that is why he doesn't shy away from contact ...

Frankly, I've heard of critics of Rodgers say he holds on to the ball too long, but have never heard anyone question his toughness. I found that statement weird, as did Larry McCarren who asked Rodgers to follow up on who questioned his toughness, and Rodgers gave a very elusive answer along the lines of 'sometimes my brother (who Aaron lives with) teases me for ending the play without contact'....

I don't mean to imply Aaron is inviting contact for selfish reasons, but when asked about it before it seemed like a really odd response that he wanted to prove his critics wrong. I cannot think of anyone over the past few years who has questioned Rodgers toughness or willingness for contact...

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Haven't people been questioning his toughness coming out of high school, college, and in the Dallas game (when Favre got hurt)? Maybe it's just something that's stuck with him mentally. Also, following Favre who has never missed a game might weigh into this for him.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
the lunge Flynn did on 3rd and 10 to get the first, I think that's one of the rare times a QB should be diving for yardage.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The fact that Matt Flynn couldn't lead this offense to victory against a team that was starting its 3rd-string quarterback, on a day when his defense holds the opposition to 7 points, has to be concerning at the very least. It's not like he was involved in a shootout. The Lions were shutout for the majority of the game.
UserPostedImage
istanbulpacker
13 years ago
Late to this thread but I've got something I don't think was covered. I'm curious others thoughts on Flynn's performance with relation to the chances he's had in previous weeks' live games. Seems we get a chance to put him in at the end of the game and we squander it on running plays. I know I've seen comments about this in chat during the game.

To me, that is precisely the time and play for your backup. Anyone can hand off a ball. If you are up enough points you are willing to put in your second team, then you should be willing to put a few balls in the air to give that QB some confidence and reps during a real gameday situation.

I don't think Flynn was marvelous out there. But, he's a developing QB. He had a poor read on his INT. I directly attribute that to nerves and lack of playing time. He DID lead the team all the way down the field on that drive though and I thought he moved the ball efficiently.

In my book, too soon to tell on his ability but at least he isn't the second coming of TJ Rubley.
blank
musccy
  • musccy
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

The fact that Matt Flynn couldn't lead this offense to victory against a team that was starting its 3rd-string quarterback, on a day when his defense holds the opposition to 7 points, has to be concerning at the very least. It's not like he was involved in a shootout. The Lions were shutout for the majority of the game.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I acknowledge that this was his first game with an OLine that was putrid, many factors contributed to offensive woes, and he (purely statistically speaking) was actually even more productive than ARod. Consequently, I'm reluctant to completely give up on him.

But on the other hand...what NSD said!
macbob
13 years ago

he won't be on the team long

"dhpackr" wrote:

Sounds like you were right, dhpackr!

I had originally read this wrong and didn't realize you were saying he was going to be prime trade bait for additional draft picks... ::razz:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/112413099.html 

Packers quarterback Flynn attracts attention

Solid start likely to boost interest in him

Green Bay When Ron Wolf put backup quarterbacks Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks and Matt Hasselbeck up for trade during his years as general manager of the Green Bay Packers, interested parties had to base their evaluations on preseason games and spot play.

All three quarterbacks had suffered the misfortune of playing behind Brett Favre, who avoided plays spent on the sideline as though it was prison time.

In a combined five seasons, the three attempted just 56 passes and were 0-2 in games in which Favre had to leave because of injury. Eventually they were all acquired by other teams that had no empirical evidence they were capable of being starters.

For sure, none of them had the kind of game Matt Flynn did last Sunday at New England.

Starting for injured quarterback Aaron Rogers (concussion), Flynn stepped in and completed 24 of 37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns with one interception. His passer rating of 100.2 was the highest by an NFL quarterback making his first career start against a team with a 10-2 record or better since the 1970 merger, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The Packers lost the game, 31-27, but Flynn had the Packers on the brink of breaking the Patriots' 15-game winning streak at Gillette Stadium.

"Obviously, it was a great experience for me, especially going up there and having some success and doing well," said Flynn, who has returned to his backup position with the return of Rodgers. "I guess it could add some positive things for my career, but it's one of those things; we lost. That was the only thing that was really on my mind."

It may not be all that is on the mind of a few general managers in the market for a quarterback next season. If there is no rookie salary limit next year, teams may find it cheaper to acquire Flynn as a restricted free agent or in a trade than drafting a quarterback in the first round.

By no means has Flynn done anything to show he's a surefire NFL starter, but he has at least one credential Wolf's quarterbacks didn't have: He started and finished a game against a quality opponent and deserved to win.

"It wasn't too big for him," Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements said of what Flynn proved. "He managed the team well, he generally made right decisions, he made plays with his arm, made plays with his feet. He looked comfortable operating the team."

During the off-season, general manager Ted Thompson will have to decide whether to get the most he can for Flynn before he becomes an unrestricted free agent or let it play out and risk losing him for nothing.

If the current free agent system is reinstated, Flynn will be a restricted free agent. He would be able to shop himself around the NFL, but through incremental qualifying offers the Packers would be able to raise the level of compensation as high as a first- and third-round pick.

If they go to the high end, they would have to pay Flynn a salary around $3 million next year. At the end of that season, Flynn would be unrestricted and free to go anywhere with no compensation if the Packers didn't put a franchise or transition tag on him.

"I think somebody's going to come and get him," receiver James Jones said. "If they don't, they're stupid, especially the teams in this league that need a quarterback."

Thompson could follow Wolf's lead and deal Flynn before the contract situation even comes up. Wolf traded Brunell and Hasselbeck after their second seasons and Brooks after his first.

For Brunell in 1995, he got third- and fifth-round picks from Jacksonville.

For Brooks in 2000, he got a third-round pick.

For Hasselbeck in 2001, he was able to move up seven spots to No. 10 in the first round as well as get a third-round pick.

If Flynn is viewed as a starter around the league, Thompson might not take less than a third-round pick based on those previous deals. The big question is whether Thompson would do it given his tendency not to do anything rash.

"Obviously, my goal is to be a starting quarterback, but it's not something I'm thinking about right now," Flynn said. "I've just been very fortunate to be tutored by some good quarterbacks coaches and be under Aaron. I've learned a ton.

"I feel more prepared this year than in the past. The more time I spend here, I kept getting better."

There may be some scouts who still question Flynn's arm strength, but few would question his toughness and poise. He's sometimes so calm that people think he is disinterested, which is far from the case.

"People at LSU, fans used to get mad at me because in games I'd look like I didn't care," Flynn said. "Obviously I did, but I wouldn't show emotion if good things or bad things happened. I guess it's just how I am. I don't know. It's not like I'm trying to do it. It's funny that people notice that."

If they noticed anything at the end of the Patriots game it was the apparent chaos that ensued after the clock was down to 23 seconds and Donald Driver's catch had left the Packers with a fourth and 1 at the Patriots 15 with no timeouts. From afar, Flynn looked like a deer in headlights - until it was time to get the team to the line and get off a play.

"We thought it was a first down," Flynn said. "Driver thought it was, I thought it was, the sideline was telling me to clock it. Once I realized that it wasn't, I looked over and it was like, 'Ah, can't do this.' And then the refs were taking a couple seconds (to spot the ball) and I was like, 'All right, we've got to go, we've got to get this play off.'"

Flynn did exactly that. The play went off without a hitch, but with eight defenders covering four receivers, he couldn't find anyone open in the end zone. He tried to extend the play by scrambling outside but was sacked.

Some wondered if Flynn might have been able to run a sneak, get the first down and then spike the ball with time left for a play or two. But Flynn had thought that through and realized it wasn't a good idea.

"Earlier in the game when we did a quarterback sneak, the defense had laid on me for a while," Flynn said. "So if I was a defender, that's what I would do."

Ultimately, victory slipped through his fingers, but an opportunity to impress did not.

"It kind of solidifies the confidence I've had," Flynn said. "It was good to go out there. I had a blast. I just love playing the game. I had a great time."

JSOnline.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.