Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers WR Greg Jennings on key pass: 'Dropped it'

BY ROB DEMOVSKY RDEMOVSK@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM DECEMBER 12, 2010

DETROIT In a locker-room interview last week, Greg Jennings wanted no part of a question about why he and the rest of the Green Bay Packers receivers had overcome their early-season penchant for dropping balls.

He feared a jinx.

On Sunday after the Packers 7-3 loss to the Detroit Lions at Ford Field, where Jennings dropped a perfectly thrown deep ball from Aaron Rodgers that popped into the hands of Detroit safety Amari Spievey for an interception, Jennings looked the questioner in the eye said: See, see, see, see.

The play had touchdown written all over it. On second-and-3 from his own 27-yard line in the first quarter, Rodgers used a play-fake to momentarily freeze Spievey, the Lions rookie. Jennings had a step on him down the field and Rodgers unloaded. Jennings reached up with two hands, but the ball slipped through and appeared to hit him in the helmet, ricocheting back to Spievey.

Jennings made no excuses.

Dropped it; straight dropped it, Jennings said. Disappointing, very disappointing.

The drop by Jennings, who had four catches for 52 yards and snapped a streak of three straight 100-plus-yard games, led to the Packers second turnover of the first quarter. On their opening drive, rookie tight end Andrew Quarless lost a fumble as he was trying to gain extra yards after a 12-yard catch that would have given the packers a first down at the Lions 35.

We had a major letdown on the offensive side of the ball, Jennings said. Defense kept us in the game the entire game. We cant come out and get put in positions where weve got to crawl back into the game.

Not the homecoming you want, but its not about me, added Jennings, a Kalamazoo, Mich. native. Got to make plays when the balls in the air, period. Ive been making plays, and thats what we do, but didnt do it (on Sunday), and I let the team down with a big drop in the first quarter. Obviously a momentum changer, and you cant have that when youre a playoff-caliber team, when youre trying to reach the playoffs, and youve got bigger goals.

Changing Of The Guard

When starting left guard Daryn Colledge left the game because of a knee injury in the first quarter, the Packers turned first to Jason Spitz.

But that didnt last long. Unhappy with Spitzs performance, the Packers pulled him in favor of T.J. Lang, who played the entire second half.

Spitz said he didnt want to talk about his performance other than to answer No when asked whether he thought he played OK.

Spitz appeared to be at least partially responsible for the 5-yard loss by running back Brandon Jackson on a first-quarter run that Lions rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh blew up.

Performance, clearly performance, coach Mike McCarthy said when asked why he replaced Spitz with Lang.

Colledge played only one series because he injured his left knee while tackling Lions cornerback Brandon McDonald, who recovered Quarless fumble. Colledge was scheduled to undergo additional tests today.

Either I planted wrong or hit wrong or whatever, Colledge said. Im not used to making tackles, so yeah, I hurt myself on the tackle.

McCarthy said he didnt know the severity of the injury.

It doesnt feel like its going to be terrible, Colledge said. But it doesnt feel too good right now.

Other Injuries

The Packers already thin outside linebacker crew was hit again.

Rookie Frank Zombo, who has started the last six games, left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee injury and did not return. Erik Walden, who was signed off the street on Oct. 27, finished the game but did not record a tackle.

Other than Colledge and quarterback Aaron Rodgers (concussion), that was the only other injury McCarthy mentioned.

No Challenge

Jennings wanted McCarthy to challenge the pass that was ruled incomplete in the end zone on a third-and-3 play from the Lions 24-yard line in the third quarter, but McCarthy didnt throw the red flag.

Instead, he sent in the field-goal unit, and Mason Crosby gave the Packers their only points with a 42-yard kick.

We had a look at it up in the booth, and the information that I had led me not to challenge that call, McCarthy said.

Stark Contrast

A week after rookie running back James Starks carried 18 times for 73 yards in his NFL debut against San Francisco, he rushed only six times for 8 yards against the Lions.

He had one pass thrown his way, but he mistimed a screen pass and couldnt come up with it.

Brandon Jackson got the most work among the running backs with seven carries for 19 yards. Dimitri Nance, who was inactive last week, carried twice for 4 yards. The quarterbacks combined 35 yards rushing on five carries.

Odds And Ends

The Packers inactives were safety Atari Bigby, cornerback Pat Lee, safety Anthony Smith, fullback Korey Hall, linebacker Matt Wilhelm, center/guard Nick McDonald, guard/tackle Marshall Newhouse and defensive end Cullen Jenkins. On the food cart outside the Packers locker room after the game, written on the side was Packards locker room food.

He was afraid of a jinx? Good to know our wide receivers are as superstitious as they are lackadaisical. Maybe they can carry some moose knuckles in their pockets to ward off hexes for the remainder of the season, too.

And come on, is the best he can come up with "I dropped it"? No shit, Sherlock. You and the rest of the receivers -- and yes, that goes for Finley too -- have "dropped it" all season. Seriously, it's time for the Greg Jennings love fest to end in Packer Nation. Even at his best he was never as great as people made him out to be, and this year, none of them has been barely better than serviceable. Far from being elite, this receiving corps plays with no passion at all and seemingly no desire to help an embattled Aaron Rodgers out. Rodgers' statistics this season are excellent not because of his receivers but in spite of them. I don't know if they're playing lackadaisically to highlight the piss-poor play of the offensive line, or if they're just all fat and happy with their new contracts, but it infuriates me game after game.

Hopefully, the injury today will hasten Colledge's departure from Green Bay, but I won't be holding my breath. Queue Finley88Whatshisface blathering about how reliable Colledge has been, and that he's really a standup guy, etc.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Well.....that 'drop" was the ballgame. Not that that was the only problem. They stunk 100% on offense, and Rodgers going out killed what little hope we had.
I don't see us even staying close with NE next week.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Statistically, the New England game doesn't affect the Packers' playoff hopes one way or the other. It might be wise, as some have suggested, to treat that game as a second bye and simply rest the ailing starters.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Finley goes down while making a tackle after a fumble.
Colledge goes down while making a tackle after a fumble.

HOLD ONTO THE THE FREAKIN BALL!
UserPostedImage
dyeah_gb
13 years ago
Can you imagine how painful it will be to review that play this week?

Honestly, if we don't make the playoffs, that play will likely haunt Jennings throughout the entire offseason.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Pack93z
13 years ago
What else can Jennings say.. other than he dropped it.

No elements to blame it on.. defender was beaten.. he just dropped it.

Those will happen from time to time.. and he has his spotted that it has happened before. He is mere a human like the rest of us.

Only word of criticism.. after the pick he quit on the play or maybe he didn't see the defender caught the ball.. albeit from the camera angle he had the opportunity to see it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
yooperfan
13 years ago
When you pass the football, 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.
warhawk
13 years ago

Statistically, the New England game doesn't affect the Packers' playoff hopes one way or the other. It might be wise, as some have suggested, to treat that game as a second bye and simply rest the ailing starters.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Well, now that we have two Division losses I think the game is real important is it not? I mean if Chicago wins one more game and gets to 10 and we lose to NE and beat NY and the Bears we're OUT and the Bears are in unless we somehow slip into the Wild Card and that's not looking so good anymore either.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
13 years ago

"warhawk" wrote:

Well, now that we have two Division losses I think the game is real important is it not? I mean if Chicago wins one more game and gets to 10 and we lose to NE and beat NY and the Bears we're OUT and the Bears are in unless we somehow slip into the Wild Card and that's not looking so good anymore either.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

+1.

Missed that nugget in the above.

Every W is vital now.. regardless of the opponent.. the Bears did us a favor and played dead yesterday.

Vital is an understatement.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Based on what we saw yesterday though, can we really beat the Pats? They haven't just been beating people, they have been CRUSHING them, and this game is at home where they have won 26 straight. The odds are completely stacked against us.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (3h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.