Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers' offense must get its act together

BY MIKE VANDERMAUSE MVANDERMAUSE@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM DECEMBER 12, 2010

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20101212&Category=PKR07&ArtNo=101212053&Ref=AR&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]The Green Bay Packers picked a terrible time to turn in one of their worst offensive performances during the Mike McCarthy era.

How can a team locked in a heated playoff battle and with so much on the line play such uninspiring football on offense?

The Packers 7-3 loss to the Detroit Lions Sunday at Ford Field in Detroit dealt their playoff hopes a serious jolt. The Packers tumbled to the No. 8 seed in the NFC and with their division defeat stand a good chance of losing any tiebreakers with the first-place Chicago Bears in the NFC North.

But lets forget about the playoffs for now, because unless the Packers shake themselves out of their offensive funk, they will be headed home when the regular season ends.

The Lions (3-10) entered the game ranked No. 25 in the NFL in scoring defense and had been allowing nearly 26 points per game, yet the Packers made them look like world beaters.

The Packers offense got manhandled in the trenches, and the lackluster performance casts serious doubts on their ability to play efficiently against higher-ranked scoring defenses down the stretch.

The Packers had no running game to speak of, with their backs gaining 31 yards in 15 carries. Adding to their list of woes, the Packers committed inexcusable turnovers, the status of quarterback Aaron Rodgers is uncertain after he was knocked woozy on a reckless second-quarter scramble, and backup Matt Flynn fell flat when given the chance to take charge in the second half.

At least the Packers defense came ready to play against the Lions, although it couldnt score any points to offset the offenses startling inadequacy.

Rodgers absence for just over half the game due to a concussion was no excuse for the Packers awful showing. The offense produced just two first downs with Rodgers at the controls.

In the second half it became a quarterback showdown between the Lions third-stringer (Drew Stanton) and the Packers second-stringer (Flynn).

Both drove their teams into the red zone in the second half, but with the outcome hanging in the balance, Stanton tossed the game-winning touchdown pass and Flynn threw up the game-losing interception.

The Lions have improved, but they still had been beating themselves all season with critical mistakes, so it was shocking that the playoff-contending Packers were the ones who gagged.

Greg Jennings turned an almost certain touchdown pass into a momentum-killing drop and Lions interception in the first half, and tight end Andrew Quarless also coughed up the football in Lions territory.

Those are the kind of blunders that lose games, whether they come from a seasoned veteran like Jennings or inexperienced players like Quarless and Flynn.

Two years ago McCarthy jettisoned defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and special teams coach Mike Stock when their units werent performing up to acceptable standards.

In assessing the current state of the offense, McCarthy must look first in the mirror and hold himself accountable, since thats his area of expertise and he calls the plays.

This isnt the only time the offense has sputtered this season. Something isnt right, and if McCarthy doesnt get it fixed, the Packers will miss the playoffs for the second time in three years and the third time in his five years as head coach.

Things wont get any easier with New England, the New York Giants and Chicago looming on the schedule. This is no time for the offense to go in the tank.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

Just how do you think they will get their "act together"? Are they going to get a O-Line that can actually block? A running back that can actually pick up 1 whole yard? A head coach who came from the Mike Martz school of getting your QB killed. They same garbage year after year. Mike McCarthy can't even manage the clock at the end of the half or the end of the game! I love the fact that if it's a close game, the Packers never win. 2 playoff appearances in 6 years, what part of that makes anybody with rational thought, think this is anything more than a .500 club?

"Scott1956" wrote:

The offense has been out of sync all year--not just this came. We just played both halves as poorly as we've been playing the first half (on offense) all year. The defense played well enough to win.

I don't know if the play calling changed when Flynn came in, or if Rogers is always looking for the big play, but Flynn was taking what the defense gave him and moving the ball. He just couldn't make the plays he needed to. I really think Rogers is trying to be MVP of fantasy football instead of getting first downs and winning games. I've read before that his role model is Brady--maybe he needs to study Brady a little more closely. Brady is patient and analytical. Unlike Manning, Brady doesn't go through a million gyrations at the line of scrimmage. He's decisive and surgical. Rogers needs to pick up the pace and stop going for the long ball on EVERY play. MOVE THE CHAINS. That's how you score points and dominate time of possession.

"Star15Fan" wrote:

I get the impression that Mike V is suggesting that Mike McCarthy be let go if the Packers miss the playoffs. I agree. I don't care that we have had a ton of injuries, Mike McCarthy seems to produce a mediocre team every year. He should look in the mirror. If I am Ted Thompson the only way I let Mike McCarthy come back is if he fires the OL coach and special teams coach. Those two units have been sub-standard for years. I am embarrassed to be a Packer fan. At least we could lose with enthusiasm but with Mike McCarthy that will never happen. His teams are so lacking in inspiration.

"packersinmn" wrote:

I especially agree with that last comment.

The following comment is by a well-known troll, but he still raises a good point.

Pats just might put up a "50 burger" next week on this packer team...One big reason is their coach will not "settle" for anything less than a 110% effort...

Brady said it as others have, "nobody on the team has a secure position, if they don't do their job coach will yank them immediately"...

Also, McCarthy NEVER gives a running back an opportunity the entire game...McCoy of the Eagles had 14 yards at half time but busted one for 60 something and ended up with over 100...MM would never have given him that many touches if he wasn't getting yards early...

How many games have we seen guys like Peterson have a slow game going late in the 2nd half when they break it open and end up with a buck-fifth...

Last year Mike McCarthy was the worst play caller in the entire league and he has improved on being worse this year than last...heading for an all time low in play calling in the NFL />..

V-Moose..."offense better get act together"...WHAT OFFENSE? Rodgers got no protection and can't open a hole in swiss cheese...

Moose, should be writing about Rodgers having a short career...maybe out of football before he reaches 30 because of multiple concussions...that goes directly to TT...don't protect your franchise and you might be headed south;

"shhhharleyrod" wrote:

I also agree with the following comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that this offensive squad (Rodgers excepted) seems apathetic in general.

This loss makes me sick! Why would you put the game in the hands of a career backup QB on 4th and 1?
Why, why, why, why, why? I'm not gonna sit here and bash Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson but why would you call that play as your last play of the game? This team was flat from the opening K/O and that is a direct reflection of the coaching staff and their preparation! Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have assembled a talented team but they just can not get these guys ready to play on Sundays. Miami, Wash and Det are far inferior teams, no excuses for losing to them except lack of prep. And by the way....where has 52 been the last 6 weeks??

"PaPackFan77" wrote:

Where's the short passing game? The West Coast offense? Flynn ran it for most of 2nd Half and moved the ball and had much better rythm than Rodgers in the 1st Half. Flynn wasn't the great, but did okay considering the situation.

The WC helps if a team doesn't have a great RB. It eats up the clock and keeps the chains moving. It keeps the defense off the field. Why don't we run it with Rodgers anymore. It's all vertical passing game. The big play.

"rover27" wrote:

Yah, I know, time for a new coach. So who do you geniuses think we should get? The usual suspects: Cowher, Gruden, etc.? Let's be just like all those other teams that panic every few years and fire their coaches so we can be in a constant state of rebuilding. Or, we could be a team like the Steelers, Giants or Patriots who stick with their coaches while they build a winner. I vote for the latter.

"corwin04" wrote:

Us "geniuses" realize you need to be PREPARED for the game of football. The amount of injuries and sub-standard leadership evident in the factual results are a direct condemnation of the coaching staff & players. Its not panic, its recognition of failed leadership, preparation, and ingenuity. Maybe we should keep the current staff, but cut their pay. Then maybe they would be incented to try harder. Oh, but then they would just go somewhere else. Take some responsibility and make it happen, or get out.

"deerlakejens" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (5h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (11h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (12h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (12h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (15h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (15h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (15h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (16h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (16h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.