4PackGirl
13 years ago
sunday: blizzard, boys can't come home from their dads.

mon.: my mom drives boys down here & on I 474 nearly blacks out, losing her vision for a few seconds. get the boys to school. argue with my mom about going to the ER. get a call from school that cory's sick. wait for cole to get outta school, drop them off at the in-laws & take mom to the ER. we all miss the boys christmas program which was the reason my mom came down in the first place.

tues.: mom goes home & sees her doc. she orders an echocardiogram & doppler of her carotid arteries. she'll see a neurologist after christmas. her bp was 186/108 in the ER & 174/98 the next day. she seems to be ok.

wed.: new dryer gets delivered that went up in smoke on monday while everything else was going on.

wed 11pm: cole projectile vomits on his wall, the dresser, his bed, & the carpet. didn't get to sleep til 3am or so - neither boy went to school.

today: i'm exhausted, stressed out, & feeling kinda crappy myself.

tomorrow: dan, the hubby, gets possibly life altering shoulder surgery in chicago. he's been in chronic pain for 5 years so we're hoping this will be the miracle we're hoping for. then with a drugged up hubby, this country girl has to make it thru chicago rush hour traffic from lake shore drive to bartonville.

i need a drink.
4PackGirl
13 years ago
p.s. i'm worried about my mom. very worried. memory is starting to fade quite a bit. she lives on the farm & wants to maintain her independence as long as possible. i think it's time for her to move. scary.
Pack93z
13 years ago
First I hope all is well with your mother.. prayers will be extended.

As far as the week. those weeks suck pickled eggs through a straw.. then get hung up on the ribs of the straw. ;)

Hopefully it turns for you.. and the worst is over.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
13 years ago
Wow Illy......isn't life "fun???"
I'll be praying for your Mom.
Dan....what surgery is he having? I had surgery on my right shoulder back in the mid 1990's. The doc was honest with me (which i'm glad he was) and told me it would hurt even worse after surgery for about 3 months, then get better. He was right of course.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
13 years ago
thanks guys. i made it home in rush hour traffic in chicago. my nerves are shot, i've been up since 4am, & i'm in serious need of a beer.

he had arthroscopic surgery to shave off his collarbone, clean up some arthritis, & fix his labela (?) tendon that was torn. hopefully the pain will now be gone & he can enjoy life again.
Cheesey
13 years ago
I had some bone shaved off where the shoulder and arm meet. VERY painful.
Tell Dan i'm thinking of him, and as president Clinton said, "I did NOT have sexu....." wait....wrong quote.......it's "I feel your pain!"
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Damn girl!! Tell ya what, I'll let you wear the following sig to help cheer you up. Certainly it is better than any of the new ones Shawn made for ya. =)

UserPostedImage

Things will get better. Hang in there, you'll be standing tall when the dust settles.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hope things go better this week.
I know how frustated you have been I spent all day in the hospital with my Mother last Tue. They ran tests and came up with no answers.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Julie,
Okay. I definitely have to stop whining now. Compared to your week last week, my worst week this year was a Tahiti vacation.

I hope you got that beer you deserved.

And that your husband's surgery proves a resounding success. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to pain, and I cringe at the idea that someone has to endure it constantly for 5 years.

I can't help you with the kid stuff (the "bunghole theory of child rearing" doesn't deal with what happens when the kid is sick), but I can give unsolicited advice about how to handle the aging parent problem.

Or rather, how not to handle it: I think I've made every error in the book.

One mistake, for example, was waiting too long to move my mother into assisted living. Because of my dislike of nursing homes, I kept her here with me too long so she got too dependent on me for the companionship; if she had been able to move earlier, I think she would be having an easier time making new acquaintances, be less susceptible to the loneliness, etc.

Part of my error was simple laziness and procrastination that kept me from understanding how different "assisted living" and "nursing home" experience can be. I don't know what it's like in your area, but even here we have a few different possibilities for "independent, yet assisted living", from places little different from your average condominium to places that handle people who need walkers and can't drive and have various dementia/memory problems.

To be honest, I thought the "independent living" these places talked about was just marketing jargon. I don't know your mom, obviously, so I don't know what in particular makes being on the farm "independent" to her. But I do know that AL options can satisfy a lot of independence needs people might have. She won't be able to milk cows, of course. But I'm betting she would be able to find a place where there are a lot of exfarmers or fellow church goers or whatever. And there might even be places where she can do outdoor stuff like container gardening or whatever.

Obviously, rural areas are going to have fewer AL variations than more populated areas. (In the unlikely event that I make it to "elderly," I'd want to be in a suburban/urban area to make sure I'd find a place that allows "different drummer" sorts.)

Part of my problem was that I never really paid much attention to the people of my mom's generation. Hanging out with old people is about as attractive to me as hanging out with ten year olds. And this meant that I didn't know where my mother's friends, neighbors, acquaintances were going/talking about. And by the time I got around to getting serious about moving my mother out, the additional complications of her decline meant I had no real idea how to get that information. Add in my usual social anxieties, etc, and frankly, we got really lucky that we found the place we did.

The place isn't perfect for her. Because, as I said, I think I waited too long. By the time we got her in (she was on a waiting list for 14 months), the combination of a couple physical problems (bladder, knee pain), continuing declines in short term memory, and her general half-empty-glass approach to life, meant she has had trouble getting sufficiently involved with other residents.

But had I started the process even a year earlier, her natural sociability (despite that half-empty outlook, she's always been very, very social) would have meant she had already developed the relationships she needs.

So, for what its worth, if I have one piece of advice, its start earlier on exploring the options, finding out what kinds of "independent" or "assisted" living options are available in your neck of the woods. You (and your mother) may find yourself pleasantly surprised at what is available.

If possible, think of it not as "having to move out" but as "searching for a vacation home."

Seriously. In a couple ways, my mother has stuff she never had before. Every meal on cloth tableclothes and with cloth napkins. Whirlpools twice a week. Live music in a living room setting. Being able to push a beeper for a nurse to come running if anything happens in the middle of the night.

Yes, moving into one of these places means giving up a lot of stuff. And I doubt there's anyone in them who, when they first move in, wish they didn't have to.

But they can also mean getting some stuff you've never had.

Again, I hope you got the beer(s) you deserved after last wekk. And here's hoping this week is much less stressful.

It has to be: it's going to start with the Packers beating the crap out of Tom Brady and company. And it's going to end with the birth of Christ.

All my best.

Wade
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
4PackGirl
13 years ago
thanks for the insight, wade. mom's situation is rather complex because she has narcisstic tendencies so she finds nothing wrong with herself - ever. her parents both had mental issues (this is when i'm glad to be adopted) & her brother is bipolar/manic depressive.

luckily there are some AL options right in her hometown that are quite lovely. there are also some here where i live that are also nice options. if i had my druthers, she'd move down here & be close to excellent medical care in peoria as well as her only grandsons & me. i know she's suffering with some sort of depression & i've tried talking to her about it more than once but she just cannot see it. that depression has caused severe anxiety problems which ultimately led to her blacking out while driving with my kids. and even now, she can't face that she needs help.

it's going to be a long arduous process i know that. she puts this ridiculous amount of pressure on herself about the house she & dad built, the farmland they bought, & won't allow herself to look at all there is out there for her. money is absolutely no issue but she chooses to sit in her house alone the vast majority of the time. she could be going & doing anything she wants but simply doesn't. heck she could buy a place down by me & still keep her house on the farm but she just won't.

i don't know what to do or where to go from here. she told me that my brother & i have POA over health care so i'm wondering if i should have a word with her family doctor expressing my concerns. i don't know how that works though. can i do that or not?

on the up side, no more projectile vomit. dan threw up yesterday but he's been good since. the vicodin & lack of chronic pain has him vegetating on the couch the majority of the time. it's good. he hasn't had a full night's sleep in 5 years.

trying to keep two 8 year olds quiet & content so daddy can sleep has been interesting to say the least. but they've been pretty darn good. we're supposed to have snow here tonite & tomorrow and again on thursday & friday.

and you're right wade - the birth of Christ is the reason for the season. i'm looking forward to it this year more than i have in the past. even with everything that's going on, seeing the amazement in the boys eyes on christmas morning never gets old.
Fan Shout
CanPackFan (1h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.