Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5161§ion_id=40 

GREEN BAY Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn!

The chant, which had been reserved for those rare times when fullback-turned-halfback-turned-fullback again John Kuhn would actually be given the football, now rises from the Lambeau Field stands almost every time No. 30 runs onto the field. And, remarkably, he delivers almost every time for the Green Bay Packers.

Let me tell you: The thing about John Kuhn is when he runs in the game, all the fans know hes getting the ball, the defense knows hes getting the ball, but he never disappoints, Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings said after watching Kuhn score three touchdowns on an 8-yard run, a 5-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers and a 1-yard plunge in the Packers 45-17 rout of the New York Giants Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Thats the beauty of John Kuhn. I love him. I tell him, hes going to be here for a long time. He better be.

A year ago, Kuhn was getting limited touches as a lead blocker and occasional short-yardage option. After carrying six times for 22 yards and two touchdowns Sunday, hes now rushed 80 times for 281 yards and four TDs after coming into the season with only 18 career carries for 46 yards and two TDs.

When we have a red-zone meeting, we dont sit there and talk about John Kuhn, but I think our fans think we do. Im a little nervous about that, Packers coach Mike McCarthy joked, well aware of Kuhns growing status as a cult hero. Hes put together two outstanding football games. John is one of the veteran leaders on our team. Hes a tough guy, hes a detailed guy, hes a smart guy. He knows what to do when you put him in position to be successful.

And the vocal fans are so enamored with Kuhn that theyve taken to chanting his name before he gets the ball instead of afterward, as they had been doing before Sunday.

I think Mike got a little flustered there, maybe thinking they were booing him instead of it was actually the Kuhn chant, quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. John's a guy who you love having on your team. His personality, he's a blue-collar guy, a guy who plays special teams. He catches the ball well, he runs the ball well, he's very smart. He's like a security blanket in the third-down (offense) when he's back there because he knows the scheme and the checks as good or maybe better than I do at times.

He's a great player for us, a great contributor, and a guy who the last couple of weeks every time you hand him the ball something good happens."

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Kuhn had eight touches on Sunday, with six going for first downs and three going for touchdowns. In his last two games, Kuhn now has 11 first downs on 17 touches and four touchdowns.

Last week against New England, Kuhn caught three passes for 27 yards and a touchdown while also rushing six times for 21 more yards, a performance that presumably led to Sundays preemptive chanting.

Its pretty funny. Its nice. I dont want to let them down, Kuhn said. They call for you ahead of time, so Ive got to try and come through.

Giants stuck: Coach Tom Coughlin and his team couldnt return to the Big Apple, spending the night instead in Appleton.

With a snowstorm battering the East Coast forcing Sunday nights Philadelphia Eagles-Minnesota Vikings game to be pushed back to Tuesday the Giants had to stay in Wisconsin an extra night, crashing at the team hotel in downtown Appleton with hopes of flying out Monday, when the New York-area airports are expected to reopen.

We're not going to go home. We can't. We're going to have to stay, Coughlin said immediately after the game. We're going right back to the Radisson, we'll have dinner back there and try to get out first thing in the morning.

As if being blown out wasnt bad enough, the players then had to stay an extra night to think about their poor showing. The Giants New York counterparts, the Jets, spent an extra night in Chicago after their loss to the Bears there, too.

Oh man, I don't care where we're at, it's going to be a long night regardless, safety Deon Grant said. If we'd go back to New York, it'd probably be a worse night. I know they're not going to be happy (back there). I looked up, the Jets lost, we lost, it's not a good look. It doesn't matter where we at. I don't care where we at, I wanted to win.

Line delivers: Facing a team that came into the game leading the NFL in sacks with 42, the much-maligned offensive line dominated. After allowing 13 sacks in the past three games, the Packers gave up only one legitimate sack Sunday.

While technically allowing two sacks one by Justin Tuck against right tackle Bryan Bulaga, the other a team sack when the ball slipped out of Rodgers hand as he was about to throw the Packers line was phenomenal, shutting down Tuck and fellow defensive end Osi Umenyiora. In fact, while he censored himself as he began to tell the story in post-game interviews, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin suggested that he joked with veteran left tackle Chad Clifton that he wasnt sure if Umenyiora even played Sunday.

I kidded (Clifton) around in th-e locker room and said, Geez, I didnt even know Im not going to say that, Philbin said, cutting himself off. I dont think the quarterback got knocked down a whole lot. Weve talked about as a staff, I think we had (allowed) 17 sacks in our first nine games and weve had 17 in the last five. Thats a concern when youre giving up three-and-a-half sacks a game. We certainly had some concerns going into the game against a real quality defensive team. These guys stepped up and did a good job.

McCarthy was overjoyed by the way both lines controlled the game, but he was especially pleased with the offensive line, which was led by veteran center Scott Wells. According to McCarthy, Wells called the team up in the locker room in pregame, and all the talk about the Giants formidable front four lit a fire under the group.

Those guys were ready to play, McCarthy said. They were sick and tired of hearing about how tough the Giants were all week, and they took it personally. Make sure you (reporters) do that again this week, because it worked. But they came out and played big.

Extra points: McCarthy had only two new injuries on his list fullback Korey Hall suffered a knee sprain, and safety Atari Bigby suffered a groin strain. It was unclear how serious each injury was, although neither player returned to the game. Bigby was sharing time with Charlie Peprah at safety before the injury. The Packers benefitted when Coughlin erred and challenged Brandon Jacobs sideline fumble. The Giants lost the challenge, then didnt have one when cornerback Sam Shields intercepted an Eli Manning pass but replays clearly showed his second foot being out of bounds. I wasnt worrying about it. I was just happy, Shields said of the pick. The Packers also got lucky when Coughlin didnt challenge Kuhns 8-yard run, since his knee was clearly down before he broke the plane of the end zone. Kuhn said he had a feeling he was down, which is why he was telling the sideline to hurriedly kick the extra point before the call could be reversed. B.J. Raji continued his dominant play with his third sack in two games, giving him 6.5 on the season. With Frank Zombo (knee) inactive for the second straight week, Erik Walden and Robert Francois shared time at right outside linebacker. Its what weve been doing all year, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. Thats just kind of been the nature of our defense. It becomes a little bit of the culture. And I like that culture.

UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
13 years ago
Terrell Thomas will not make it out of GB, alive.

you dont disrespect The Don

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Rockmolder
13 years ago
I bet Foster is missing his glove by now.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Sheesh, Hall and Bigby are as brittle as candy canes. That neither of them will probably be on the roster next season doesn't bother me a bit.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

Terrell Thomas will not make it out of GB, alive.

you dont disrespect The Don

"RajiRoar" wrote:

Yes. This pissed me off. I was so happy to see Josh Sitton come over and get Driver's back.

That's the first time I've ever seen Donald jump up and go after another player.
UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
We need to lock Kuhn up and it's time to let Korey Hall walk. Quinn Johnson is still under contract for two more seasons and will be fine as the backup FB. Kuhn has been a fan favorite and really turned into a short yardage/pass catching threat not to mention being a decent backup RB.

I like Hall and he's been a solid ST guys and FB when healthy, but it's time to stop the 3 FB carousel we've been running the past couple of years. This is the last year of Hall's rookie contract and he'll be an UFA after the season if it goes back to 4 years of service time under the new CBA. I have no doubts Hall will be able to find work elsewhere in the league and Kuhn deserves a contract extension as much as anyone with the production he's given the team. I'd much rather have any money we'd give to Hall next season going towards keeping Kuhn instead.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

Sheesh, Hall and Bigby are as brittle as candy canes. That neither of them will probably be on the roster next season doesn't bother me a bit.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Candy canes! Nice seasonal reference! I like both players, but I think you are right. Neither one of them can stay on the field for any length of time.
blank
gbguy20
13 years ago
when kuhn retires he should start a company and name it this. good thread title imo
aa-rod_is_cool
13 years ago
I love that Packer fans have a players name to chant now. I've been so jealous of Pittsburgh's Heathhh Miller for years now.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
My favorite Kuhn play was after his first running TD where he ran over to the sidelines telling the coach to get the PAT team out there and kick before the play could be challenged.
My wife asked why he didn't do a Lambeau Leap. I told her that he was too smart for that. After his next TD when he went into the stands I told her he waited for a less controversial time to make his leap. Smart boy.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.