Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
My response to the e-mail, which I am sure isn't read or even delivered, was summarized in a nutshell.

Force the issue soon and get it done, or the words you typed are hollow.

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and Im ready to work day and night to make that happen.

Weve come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing whats best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they dont like the quality of the preseason games, and were listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the play through it culture to a player-first culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesnt play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season

Its not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Dont get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All were asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. Its about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.

"From my In Box" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Part of a PR strategy. Nothing more.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
musccy
13 years ago
They were discussing this on Mike and Mike yesterday. I don't receive any emails from the NFL so I don't know how common things like this are/n't which was the point M&M were making, that the timing and tone are curious.

I don't know or understand the rationale behind releasing a statement like this right now, but there certainly seems to be some agenda and purpose to releasing it now rather than at the end of the super bowl.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
First one I have gotten with Goodell's name directly attached... I see PFTalk has it posted as well.

I know it is nothing more than PR.. but if you can't back up the statements within.. don't hit send.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
musccy
13 years ago
That's very strange timing, then. M&M were speculating that this was intended to be either a cheap shot at one of the sides, or in response to some pressure he's feeling due to a sense of inactivity from Goddell.
Greg C.
13 years ago
It's a lot like that email from Mark Murphy to fans. Mostly it makes sense, but they lose me with all of this talk about player safety even as they are proposing an 18 game season. Goodell says that this will not add a single game for the players collectively, which is true, but for starters, it replaces two games in which they would play a quarter or a half with two games in which they play the whole game.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Player safety.
Currently, its a 20 game season, 4 fake, 16 real. If they go 18 real, then it'll be 2 fake. Players will probably play one quarter in fake game 1 and into the 3rd quarter in fake game 2.

Rosters will be expanded.

This is more about getting more dollars out of flipping half the fake games to real games in the TV market than it hinders player safety.

At least, that's how I've been understanding it. I like the game set up as it is now and prefer less gray area rules.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Well....if you look at the speed in which Goodell ended the Favre texting issue..............we won't see pro football till 2017.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I doubt Goodell typed a word of that email. It reeks of PR flakese and attorneyese.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago

I doubt Goodell typed a word of that email. It reeks of PR flakese and attorneyese.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Completely agree.. but he attached his name to it.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (6h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (6h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (9h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (9h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (9h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (9h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (10h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (20h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (22h) : damn those vikings
beast (22h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (22h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (22h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (22h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.