macbob
13 years ago
Zombie-

I liked your answer, so I hope you don't mind me steal...er, benchmarking off of your good words.

Frankly I wanted to vote for both, for two different reasons. Since you voted for Ted, I'll cast mine for Mike and it will be like I voted for both. Lol.

I like Ted, but would have to go with Mike McCarthy (and his coaching staff) for working all of those new faces--some off the street that very week--into his game plans and getting productive performances from them. I've never seen a coach have to adjust to his team getting dismembered by injuries like this in my history of following the Packers. Injuries late in the season always doomed Sherman teams.

This year, it's been like "who's that guy?" is making a sack, or "where did we get that guy?" is filling in nicely for ____. Credit for that goes to Mike and his coaches. Ted though deserves some props for finding/providing the talent for Mike to work with.

Heck, we almost beat the SB favorite in their stadium with our backup QB, RB, TE, CB, LB, LB, LB, LB, S, T. If that isn't impressive, I don't know what is.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Anyway, thanks, Z! Couldn't have said it better myself. lol.

And curse you, Z2C--I went back to see if it would indeed let me vote twice, but NOOOoooooooOOOOO (in my best John Belushi/Animal House imitation)...Z2C is AFraaaiiid to let us vote twice...well, he can kiss my...
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
TT acquired the talent but Mike McCarthy got the players to perform. It seems to boil down to whether you think acquisition of talent and scouting is more important than coaching and game planning. If I were to be building a house would I rather have a mediocre builder with advanced tools or an advanced builder with mediocre tools? Probably the builder.

I'd like to take Mike McCarthy on this one because Ted Thompson rarely does anything that actually affects the game day action. But in my mind the fact that Ted Thompson is the one that hired Mike McCarthy makes the whole question moot. Without Ted Thompson there is no Mike McCarthy so Ted Thompson it is.
dhazer
13 years ago
Ok I refuse to vote but if I had to chose 1 ( damn this is like deciding if I want to kill my self with a knife or a gun lol) I would have to choice Thompson. He brought in the players to help with injuries. The defense has had alot more injuries and still function as one of the best and that is because of Capers. The same can't be said for the Mike McCarthy offense. We seem to play well one week and then the next lay an egg. Is it Rodgers or Mike McCarthy I don't know. But all said and done I would vote Thompson if it was life or death.

Ok you may kill me now
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I applauded ya dhazer. 😉
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
No question, MM.
That's all I'm going to say.
Well, that's not all.

When my wife and I were in Green Bay on vacation last August, I was able to buy an " I hate Ted Thompson" Tee Shirt.
It was the last one on the rack.
The check out girl told me, "I can't believe we sold out of these".
She must be a member of this forum.
musccy
13 years ago
haha dhazer!

I voted for Ted, but as I read through the posts I kept flip flopping.

Wade raised a good point about the OLine being subpar, but I think that's also a function of drafting players to fit the stupid ZBS (thus would be a M^2 issue).

I also think Rajiroar raised a great point about parity in league talent. It certainly appears that the Patriots have been making chicken salad out of chicken $hit all year...so are Walden and Shields really diamonds in the rough or have Capers and Co. just done a hell of a job?

I'll piss off zero some more and reneg on my initial vote and go with "C" all of the above 🙂 Save for some issues with the OL I'm extremely satisfied with the talent level of this team and the fact that despite injuries the Packers have been blown out the least of any team in the NFL this year.

Largest loss this year:
GB 4 points to Det
Bal 5 points to Atl/Cin
NO 13 points to Cle
Pit 13 points to NE

Den 45 points to Oak.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
lol jerkface
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
I voted Ted, but only because there wasn't a "Both" option. Obviously, Ted found some gems and the depth he built has come very much in handy. But I don't want to understate the coaches' role in keeping the team up and focused, and more importantly in coaching those young guys up.

It's a good organization - you look at the teams that are usually able to overcome bad luck like injuries, and they tend to be the Pittsburghs and New Englands of the league. The Packers' ability to weather that kind of luck and still be in contention speaks volumes about the organizational stability they've put together.
blank
earthquake
13 years ago
1. Ted
2. Dom
3. Mike

I have nothing against MM, and think he's done a good job this year with the injuries and everything, but you gotta start with the guy who is responsible for the depth, then Capers who's defense has seemingly gotten *better* despite missing a bunch of guys, and then MM, where the offense has clearly struggled to replace the guys who have been hurt(Grant and Finley esp).

Now saying all of that doesn't mean Mike McCarthy has done a bad job, I think overall he has to get some credit for the team on the whole, and his offense is still a top 10 unit, even after losing the #1 RB and one of the most talented young TEs in the league. Just that what Capers has done is miraculous.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Anyone wanna change their vote?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (12h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (16h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (16h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.