Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
How do you fail at bottling water.. ;)

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/best-and-worst-bottled-water-brands-2436818/ 

How much do you know about the bottled water you drink? Not nearly enough, according to a new report released today from Environmental Working Group (EWG). "Bottled water companies try hard to hide information you might find troubling," says Jane Houlihan, senior vice president of research for the Washington D.C.-based research and advocacy group.

EWG analyzed the labels of 173 unique bottled water products and company websites to determine if companies disclose information on where water comes from, how or if their water is treated, and whether the results of purity testing are revealed. The nonprofit also looked at how effective (and advanced) any water treatment methods are. Researchers followed up by calling dozens of bottled water companies to find out which ones willingly tell consumers what's in their bottles.

The Environmental Protection Agency says on its website that consumers have the right to know where their water comes from and what's in it so they can "make informed choices that affect the health of themselves and their families." Tap water is regularly tested and consumers can find their local water info online. That's not necessarily the case with bottled water, which is not required to disclose that information to consumers. "Bottled water is a food product and every one of these companies is complying with federal law," says Tom Lauria, of the International Bottled Water Association.

More than half of the bottled water products surveyed failed EWG's transparency test --18 percent didn't say where their water comes from, and another 32 percent did not disclose any information on treatment or purity of water.
Only three brands earned the highest possible marks for disclosing information and using the most advanced treatment methods available - Gerber Pure Purified Water, Nestle Pure Life Purified Water, and Penta Ultra-Purified Water.

On the other end of the spectrum, these six brands got the worst marks in EWG's report because they don't provide consumers with the three basic facts about water on product labels or their company website - Whole Foods Italian Still Mineral Water, Vintage Natural Spring Water, Sahara Premium Drinking Water, O Water Sport Electrolyte Enhanced Purified Drinking Water, Market Basket Natural Spring Water, and Cumby's Spring Water.
How does your bottled water brand stack up? Here's a look at the 10 top-selling* U.S. brands:

1. Pure Life Purified Water (Nestle), EWG grade = B

2. Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = C

3. Aquafina Purified Drinking Water (Pepsi), EWG grade = D

4. Dasani Purified Water (Coca-Cola), EWG grade = D

5. Deer Park Natural Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = D

6. Ice Mountain Natural Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = D

7. Ozarka Natural Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = D

8. Poland Spring Natural Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = D

9. Zephyrhills Natural Spring Water (Nestle), EWG grade = D

10. Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water (CG Roxane), EWG grade = F

Filtered tap water received the best grade (an A) from EWG because if you change your filter regularly, EWG says it is purer than bottled water, plus it saves money (bottled water can cost up to 1,900 times more than what flows from your tap). Drinking tap water also takes less of a toll on the planet. EWG offers plenty of tips for filtering your tap water so that you can drink the healthiest water possible.

What should you do when bottled water is your only option? "While our top choice is filtered tap water, when you do need to choose bottled water, we recommend brands that tell you what's in the water and that use advanced treatment technologies like reverse osmosis and micro-filtration," says Houlihan. Advanced treatment technologies remove pollutants that other methods don't. You should look for bottled water products that tell you where the water is coming from and how pure it is.

Here are the results for all 173 bottled water brands included in the report. You'll find that some less popular brands rank even lower than our list of top-sellers.

The advice to drink filtered tap water can seem confusing when there are often reports about the contaminants found in municipal water supplies. Just last month, for example, EWG announced that cancer causing hexavalent chromium (chromium-6) is in 31 cities' tap water. Houlihan says chromium-6 is as likely to be in your bottled water as it is in your tap water and we need action from the federal government on this. She points out that a reverse osmosis filter can remove the worrisome contaminant. You can guarantee its removal in your home supply, but in many cases you don't know what's in the bottle you're drinking from.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
djcubez
13 years ago
I absolutely LOVE the tap water I've had here in Milwaukee. The only reason I usually buy a bottled water is when I need a water bottle and I don't have one.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Sigh. Journalists who "report" using advocacy group evidence bug me. They complain about companies obscuring things and hiding information, and then they turn around and obscure/slant the evidence themselves.

Said rankings are depressing, to be sure. But if one clicks through to the report in question, it becomes more clear that the low grades are due primarily to failure to disclose, not because of "contaminated water".

The website in question ("Enviromental Working Group") reports the study in question with a long table listing how the various waters did on four criteria:
1. Transparency regarding the source -- did label include info about where the water came from.
2. Transparency regarding purification -- did label disclose the kind of treatment used.
3. Transparency regarding company testing of water -- did label disclose info about how water tested and whether report is available.

For each of these three, the website displays a cute little pie chart icon showing that most companies are less than fully disclosing.

The fourth criteria, which EWS labels "advanced treatment?" supposedly ranks the efficacy of advanced purification techniques. But if you dig carefully into what they say about their methodology, it sounds suspiciously like they are basing their results primarily if not exclusively on what is/what isn't reported on the bottle's label. They're is no mention, at least I couldn't find any, of the EWS doing or citing anyone who actually tested the water unless the reporting was done (a) on the label itself or (b) they got info from the people the label said to contact for test results. And since most water companies didn't provide much for (a) or (b), the majority of the waters got a bad grade.

(Interestingly, these "advanced treatment?" results were reported differently than the other "transparency" results. Where the latter had the little pie icons suggesting precision regarding the degree of disclosure, the "advanced treatment?" results were a simple check mark or absence thereof. Essentially a pass/fail grade rather than a letter grade gradation as the reporter suggests.)

Essentially what the EWG did is invite the "public" to submit labels from water bottles and then analyzed the label content.

As an test of how much companies disclose and comply with, e.g., California's law SB 220 on bottled water disclosure, the EWG report may be fine. As information about the quality of bottled water, it says virtually nothing.

Frankly, if EWG or the author of the article really wants to know what the bottles contain re: contaminants, why don't they just hire a chemist to test the water quality.

Labelling is a wonderful thing. But just because a label doesn't contain certain info doesnt mean the company is trying to hide poisons from you. If I'm in a highly competitive industry (suggested by the number of waters available, if nothing else), I'm sure as heck not going to be inclined to put info on a label that my competitors can use to get your business.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
dhpackr
13 years ago
OMG!, you love the water in Milwaukee.! WOW! Never heard anyone say that!

I had crypto, worst thing eva! If you even felt like you had to go to the bathroom, you had better be on the toilet.

Have not drank water from the tap since then, unless I had to, and to be honest, Milwaukee's water tastes like a swimming pool. It has that much chlorine in it. It tastes like chemicals, completely gross.

I drink Nicolet Artesian water from the Nicolet State Forest in Northern Wi (its bottled and sold in some grocery stores). Went camping there in 1992, and they had water pumps all over the place (its artesian water). I Filled up some gallons and brang the stuff home and that's all the only water I've drank since.

buy Nicolet artesian water for three months and drink it exclusively, then turn on the tap, and drink somee of that chlorinated Milw water....

You'll puke!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I drink filtered tap water at home and the office. I just have to remember when I last changed the filter.

It is not surprising that most bottled water brands don't put all the info on their bottles.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

OMG!, you love the water in Milwaukee.! WOW! Never heard anyone say that!

I had crypto, worst thing eva! If you even felt like you had to go to the bathroom, you had better be on the toilet.

Have not drank water from the tap since then, unless I had to, and to be honest, Milwaukee's water tastes like a swimming pool. It has that much chlorine in it. It tastes like chemicals, completely gross.

I drink Nicolet Artesian water from the Nicolet State Forest in Northern Wi (its bottled and sold in some grocery stores). Went camping there in 1992, and they had water pumps all over the place (its artesian water). I Filled up some gallons and brang the stuff home and that's all the only water I've drank since.

buy Nicolet artesian water for three months and drink it exclusively, then turn on the tap, and drink somee of that chlorinated Milw water....

You'll puke!

"dhpackr" wrote:

Well to be honest I traveled around the country as a kid and have tried a lot of different tap waters. The worst were in Chatanooga, Tennessee and somewhere in Arizona. They were AWFUL.

Hmm. After doing a search for "Milwaukee tap water" in Google I found this article:http://www.onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jeffsherman/waterstudy.html 

Study: Milwaukee, Madison tap water have probable carcinogen

Laboratory tests commissioned by Environmental Working Group (EWG) found hexavalent chromium, or chromium-6, in the drinking water of 31 of 35 selected U.S. cities. Among those with the highest levels were Norman, Okla.; Honolulu; and Riverside, Calif.

Milwaukee and Chicago both had .18 parts per billion (ppb) of chromium-6 in their drinking water. Madison, though, clocked in at 1.58 parts per billion (ppb), making it the fourth worst water city in the survey.

Funny though how it's the same organization (EWG) doing the study.

On EWG's Wikipedia page

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is an environmental organization that specializes in environmental research and advocacy in the areas of toxic chemicals, agricultural subsidies, public lands, and corporate accountability. EWG is a non-profit organization (501(c)(3)) whose mission, according to their website, is "to use the power of public information to protect public health and the environment."[1] Their funding is from "private foundations, individuals and select corporations."

Yes I know a lot of groups are funded this way but who knows if they have ulterior motives.

Here's what EWG's web page  says about chromium:

Chromium-6 (hexavalent chromium) is a potent carcinogen when inhaled. Growing evidence shows it is harmful when ingested via drinking water. EWG has uncovered a scheme by industry-funded scientists to alter study findings linking chromium in drinking water to cancer. People may be exposed to chromium in pressure-treated wood.

I looked for a reference to this "growing evidence" and I found this letter  from the EWG to the EPA.

Most of their opinion seems to be based off the assumption that because the chemical is a carcinogen when inhaled it must be when drank as well. There's a bit more to it than that obviously but I'm no scientist and I couldn't find a link to the EPA study they reference.

Here's a news article  with a scientist's opinion:

One part per billion is equivalent to about a drop in 250 gallon drums of water, or three seconds in a century. Even if a city such as Norman has the highest concentration of chromium-6 of all the cities tested, that doesn't mean it places the residents at a higher risk for developing cancer than in other cities.

Toxicology experts say inhaling chromium-6 can cause cancer, but there isn't much data on the dangers of drinking it.

"The evidence is fairly good that it's carcinogenic in people in occupational settings who inhale it and get a good dose," said Dr. Shan Yin, assistant medical director of the Cincinnati Drug and Poison Information Center.

"No one has really established what is a carcinogenic level for drinking water," said Alfred Aleguas, managing director at the Northern Ohio Poison Control Center in Cleveland. "We need to establish what is a limit we have to be concerned about."

And two comments from the same article

Whenever society tells me not to be alarmed, I'm alarmed! I am a non-conformist, and I very rarely believe the majority, unless I am taking a poll. Here's the thing, they also say that immunization shots don't cause autism but people keep getting it. Cancer is obviously an epidemic like aids however, since it is not transmitted via sex it gets a better stigma attached to it. Cancer is just like smallpox people are dropping like flies something very available is obviously causing it so if I were you I would boil my Water before drinking it from the tap. Common sense is not so common anymore!

As a master chemist and former president of Maryland's EPA-grant recipient environmental watchdog group, let me say that parts per billion are extremely small and PROBABLY not a problem. I capitalized probably because we really don't know. There should be further studies because there's lots of Chromium 6+ around because it's a common waste product of steel mills and other metalworks. The old Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point Steelyard in Baltimore is loaded with Cr+6 and the site was once considered for the location of a new pro. stadium. Whatever the old steel and shipyard sites there eventually become, we don't know if the area is hazardous or not because too little is known about Cr+6. I only minored in biology in college and had one upper-level biochemistry course, so I'm not an expert, but the fact that Chromium is element 24 and lighter than other metals like Iron (element 26), Copper (element 29), and Zinc (element 30) , is a more reactive metal than Iron or Copper [meaning it's more likely to metabolize and leave the body], and NOT a heavy metal like Mercury (element 80) and Lead (element 82), makes it less likely to easily grow to toxic proportions in the body like lead, mercury, etc. can.

So is there a water conspiracy going on here? Do they not want us to drink any water? Are we all going to get cancer? Who do you trust? LOL.

EDIT: After digging a little deeper I found some better articles.

From Scientific American .

A controversial water contaminant made famous by Erin Brockovich and a small California desert town is carcinogenic.

That conclusion by federal scientists, culminating more than a decade of debate, is likely to trigger new, more stringent standards limiting the amount of hexavalent chromium allowable in water supplies.

Its been known for about 20 years that people can contract lung cancer when inhaling hexavalent chromium, also known as Chromium VI. But until now, toxicologists have been uncertain whether it causes cancer when swallowed.

National Toxicology Program scientists reported that their two-year animal study clearly demonstrates that the compound is carcinogenic in drinking water. Mice and rats contracted malignant tumors in their small intestines and mouths when they drank water containing several different doses of hexavalent chromium.

I think its resolved, as much as it can be resolved, said George Alexeeff, deputy director of scientific affairs at Californias Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.

And this article that was post 5 hours ago:

It's aimed at improving the safety of our water: A new "goal" for the maximum amount of Chromium 6.

But it's prompting some serious questions. Perhaps the biggest is, how much of the carcinogen can be in our water.. and still be considered safe?

No agency has yet answered that question.

Naturally occurring and used in manufacturing, tests show it causes cancer in lab animals.

Currently, no law specifically regulates it. The new state "public health goal" for our water is Chromium 6 at a level of .02 parts per billion, a smaller amount than the goal announced a few years back.

Translated, the new goal means this: That one in a million people will develop cancer drinking two liters of water a day over 70 years with chromium 6 levels at 0.02 parts per billion.

So what about the water in the Coachella Valley Water District at 9 parts per billion? It's 450 times higher than the new goal. Does that mean the risk for developing cancer is 450 times greater?

Right now, no one is offering an answer, but research is being done.

Gee whiz.
Cheesey
13 years ago
"Evian" bottled water..........spell the name backwards and see what word you come up with!
That's how i see it. PAY someone to SELL you water? As it is, i have to pay the town i live in for water. I'm not gonna pay some company a dollar to fill up a plastic bottle for me.
The only time i paid for bottled water was when, as was said by someone else already, i needed a bottle.
You pay just as much for a bottle of water as you do for soda, which at least has some flavor.
To each his own though. If you want to buy it, you should have the choice to do so.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dhazer (2h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (2h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (2h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (18h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (22h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (23h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.