Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Four reasons why tackling is a lost art--and why concussions will continue.

Matt Bowen

NOVEMBER 10, 2010, 05:30 AM EST

Through weeks of discussion in the NFL on helmet-to-helmet hits, on the field violence and concussions, we have failed to mention one major factortackling. It has become a lost art in the NFLfrom fundamentals to basic techniques. And it is one of the main reasons that we see players laid out on the field after taking a shot to the head.

The question is why? What has happened to the basic techniques we were all taught way back in Pop Warner football? Put your facemask on the ball carriers chest, wrap your arms, roll your hips and drive those legs. The clean and proper way to tackle. Instead, we see players going for that knockout hitthe Sports Center Top 10 hit. In my opinion, four key thing stand out when we talk about the reasons behind the drop off in quality tackling the pro level. Lets check them out

1. Big hits: Every defensive player wants to be labeled as a big hitter. Thats the reality of the NFL. I wanted that tag when I played, and players today are no different. But, too often we see defensive players try to light up a wide receiver instead of wrapping their arms. I have said before that the helmet is now a weapon in the NFLand a major issue with concussionsand so are shoulder pads. That is why we see players launching themselves into receivers.

However, big hitters can be overratedbecause a safety that can tackle in the open field and get a ball carrier on the ground is much more valuable. You want that big hitter label? Get one every four games. Thats all you need. The rest of the time make the tackle and live to see another down. Even the so-called "big hitters" like Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, LaRon Landry and others tackle well on a regular basis.

2. Attention to detail: We have to understand that in-season practices arent anything close to what we see in August during training camp. Most clubs will take off the pads and might sneak in one day (usually) Wednesday in full gear. But even then, it isnt a competitive environment when you are working against the scout team. Ten minutes of half-speed tackling drills during individual period (where you are tackling players at your same position) isnt enough to maintain those fundamentals.

Only when I was playing for defensive backs coach Steve Jackson in Washington did I see the attention to detail with tackling. We hit everyday during the regular season and it translated to the field. Whether it is hitting the one man sled and driving it across the field, the classic Oklahoma drill, working on the proper angles to the ball, etc. They have to be practiced on a regualr basis--because it is easy to lose your fundamentals throughout the course of a 16-game schedule in the NFL.

3. Cut tackles: Pay attention to this on Sunday. How often do you see a DB try to cut down a running back by putting their helmet on a knee? It happens too much. Not only do you risk your own healthand neckby doing that, it also allows the ball carrier to gain about two to three extra yards, or run right through that attempted tackle. I miss the days of players such as Steve Atwater and my former teammate, the late Sean Taylor. They didnt dive at running backs legs.

Instead, they squared them up, wrapped their arms and drove them to the ground. Why does it happen now? It is easyeven if it allows the RB to fall forward for two extra yards. I was guilty of it at times in my career and it will continue. No one coaches that.

4. The NFL Draft: I have talked to multiple scouts and front office personnel since this past April who have all told me the same thingthey want to draft playmakers. Rookies who can drive downhill and make a play on the football. Interceptions, forced fumbles, etc.

If a possible first or second round pick continues to show up on tape and looks like a ball hawk, they dont have an issue overlooking the fact that he isnt the best tackler when it comes to fundamentals. The bottom line: forcing turnovers has replaced basic techniqueand making big plays has moved to the top of the evaluation process.

Bottom line: tackling is going downhill on all levels of football. Big hits are the rage, and until we see more effort put into the basic fundamentals of the game, we will continue to see missed tackles and players leading with their helmets.

Follow me on Twitter: MattBowen41

The priorities outlined above seem skewed to me. I don't think there's ever been an NFL player who averaged even one turnover a game, much less two, yet it's certainly possible for a player to average 5-8 tackles a game and notch over 10 tackles in some games. By emphasizing turnovers over tackling (which we see constantly with defenders being dragged down the field as they try to strip), defenders are giving up unnecessary yards multiple times a game. I personally believe a defense that tackles consistently would not only win more games in the long run, but set itself up to be in position to make more turnovers too.

An interesting comment:

If they run parallel to the line and you duck low it often loses the tackle. You have to wrap up the direction they are going in when they run along the line.

North south runners always require a form tackle. Square shoulders must be met with leverage.

One reason form tackling is breaking down so much has been the changes in cut blocking rules. Since teams can not use positional leverage on down/cut blocks, they use formational spacing and limit the initial block step to stay with faster players along the line. This grays the initial read as well, the kickout block is being replaced more and more by the blocker who 'logs on" to a target along the line aiming for the outside shoulder so the runner can continue a wide track.

The stretch run aims for the back two yards outside the tackle, if he gets that far he is going to contiinue running wide most of the time.

Without a true kickout block to define where the back must go from the line of scrimmage you get less defined tracks for assignment football. Backs have two possible cut directions off a zone block done right at the second level. A kickout block limits the yards a back can get and the direction help comes from can then smother the play with speed.

These head up blocks allow a back either way to run so he can see the help, a blocker only sees his target. If he cannot square up and has to kickout facing the sideline then a back's choices on the cutback are limited to one direction.That would allow someone to really break down the running hole and form tackle.

Now the backs can go either way from a block and this choice lets them continue a parallel track. Form tackling changes on the demand created by the system and its formational leverage, the lineman technique and spacing, and the way blocks are finished at the second level.

Nobody wants their star backs to take extra hits in practice when it could hurt their career span of four or five seasons on average. Most backs now do specialty items to allow one another reps and rest. The feature back is being limited in what he can do as defenders now have the kind of training once reserved for the superstar back, that will take a toll on any player.

Finally, a lot of great players now must change positions as ends become linebackers, defensive backs become cover two backers, they have to get in position and that takes so much work that they do less contact in practice. Position changes include increased reps in the training room for weights and contact injuries as players change their location. Form tackling loses many of the reps because the hybrid positions require players to be in position first and that tackes away from some time to do execution items on technique in practice.

"MrMurder37" wrote:

And another comment from Wade's best friend "olinesrule":

If you don't have a copy of the official rules for 2010, they are only about $9.00 at your local book store. The reason I bring it up is because of the last, italicized line in Rule 12, section two, article 8, which is the main section governing the present arguments. Here it is for those who don't have a rulebook. "Note: If in doubt about a roughness call or potentialy dangerous tactics, the covering official(s) should always call unneccesary roughness." When an official is being told that, how can we expect them to show restraint in calling personal fouls. As for the tackling, there are teams that still tackle welll and teams that don't. Apparently some teams find the time to stress good tackling and other teams stress other tactics. When a coach says I want the ball and I don't care what it takes, that's the product he's going to get. It doesn't matter if that's not what he really wants. What matters is what the players hear. Once the season starts, it is very hard to change the focus of a defense. If there is a little bit of success with the rough tactics, it becomes even harder. They will remember the successes and forget the failures. After all, we tell them to forget the past and play in this moment.

"olinesrule" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Zombo tackled Cutler with that Pop Warner form tackle and ended up with a 15 yarder and fine. Cutler's chins came down and hit Zombo's helmet. Even though it was a perfect form tackle.

Part of the problem is that the NFL is not getting how the form tackle works. The QB's chin comes down and hits, it is a penalty and a fine. How else are they supposed to tackle?

If the tacker has his head up and plants his face mask in the ball carriers chest, the initial impact is not to the head. It shouldn't be a penalty.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I hate, loathe and despise tackling today. The lack of fundamentals is inexcusable in the NFL. I have complained about it for years but it has only grown worse. I do not understand why coaches don't make proper technique a point of emphasis from day one. You can be a fundementally sound tackler and still get turnovers.
UserPostedImage
cachorro
13 years ago
I think is directly related with the huge salaries, the coaches don't want their 5 million/year players get injured in practice.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
If you want to see good tackling, watch Charles Woodson. He is a joy to watch. And I think his style is rubbing off a little on Tramon Williams and Nick Collins.
blank
Dulak
13 years ago

If you want to see good tackling, watch Charles Woodson. He is a joy to watch. And I think his style is rubbing off a little on Tramon Williams and Nick Collins.

"Greg C." wrote:

got to agree - the dude just seems to know how to stop people with minimal effort but to a great effect; eg one handed grabs or full body hits - whatever is needed to get the job done (and the ball stripped 😉
Greg C.
13 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

got to agree - the dude just seems to know how to stop people with minimal effort but to a great effect; eg one handed grabs or full body hits - whatever is needed to get the job done (and the ball stripped ;)

"Greg C." wrote:

Yeah, even though he is one of the best at stripping the ball, he doesn't let it ruin his tackling. He knows how to pick his spots.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Even Woodson's tackling style varies, though. There are days he's fundamentally sound and stops ball carriers in their tracks. There are other days he seems more focused on the strip or punch-out and he'll get dragged for five or six yards. He seems to be much more effective when he goes for the solid tackle than when he focuses on creating the turnover.

I believe in playing the odds whenever possible. A defensive player has multiple opportunities to make solid form tackles every game. A player has very few opportunities to create a turnover in a game -- and probably doesn't even have a true opportunity every game. The problem with trying to create turnovers is that in almost every case, it involves a gamble. If one goes for the strip or punch-out, one is risking giving up extra yards, or worse, a big play when the ball carrier breaks the tackle. Even if one does force the fumble, very often the carrier is going to be called down by contact, resulting in unnecessary yards having been given up and no turnover. Similarly, if one goes for the interception, unless the pass is way off target or just gift-wrapped to the defender, one has to jump the route or otherwise leave the receiver wide open and uncovered, again creating the risk of allowing a huge play.

More often than not, the better payoff comes from putting the ball carrier on the turf and not surrendering those yards of field position or that first down, not in getting that occasional turnover, even though it's the turnover people remember long after they've forgotten about that perfect (but boring) yardage-saving tackle.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Hooray! Let's hope they all get the message and excel in tackling this week.

Wrap him up:  The Packers tackled poorly in the first Atlanta game, allowing Michael Turner to run for 110 yards in 23 attempts (4.8 average).

The defense has made tackling technique a point of emphasis this week.

"You really have to make sure you are not trying to arm tackle (Turner)," defensive end Cullen Jenkins said. "The biggest thing for us on the D-line is to try to get as many hits on him as possible so he doesn't make it to the second level.

"Once he gets rolling and gets into the linebackers and the secondary, that's when he can create big problems."

Linebacker Desmond Bishop said proper tackling technique needed to be emphasized, even this late in the season.

"I think sometimes your fundamentals can slip a little bit if you're not conscious of it," he said.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.