wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
for the most part they called a great game on both sides of the ball. I was a little bit frustrated once again by the play calling in the 2nd half especially in the 4th quarter.
I understand wanting to run the ball and milk the clock but I would to have seen a few more short passes on first down. Here is what they did on 1st down in the 4th.

4th quarter
1-10-ATL 39 (14:21) 44-J.Starks right end to ATL 39 for no gain (95-J.Babineaux; 98-J.Anderson).
1-10-ATL 44 (11:39) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 87-J.Nelson to ATL 30 for 14 yards (20-B.Grimes). 
1-10-ATL 30 (10:55) 44-J.Starks right end to ATL 33 for -3 yards (53-M.Peterson). 
1-10-ATL 18 (8:38) 44-J.Starks right tackle to ATL 19 for -1 yards (53-M.Peterson). 
1-10-ATL 33 (5:32) 44-J.Starks right tackle to ATL 29 for 4 yards (25-W.Moore). 
1-10-ATL 16 (4:04) 44-J.Starks right tackle to ATL 14 for 2 yards (25-W.Moore). 

5 Runs 2 yards
1 pass 14 yards 

If the goal is to get first downs and work the clock they are putting an awful lot of pressure on the offense to do so on just 2 downs. Fortunately they did it but they may not be as successful next week. A 50-50 mix of pass and runs would seem to make more sense. But what do I know?

I checked on the 3rd quarter as well. They had a more balanced approach on 1st down. (The same need to run the clock) And the run was a lot more successful.

3rd quarter
1-10-GB 20 (15:00) 12-A.Rodgers sacked at GB 10 for -10 yards (55-J.Abraham).
1-10-GB 32 (13:16) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 87-J.Nelson to GB 41 for 9 yards (54-S.Nicholas). 
1-10-ATL 46 (12:01) 44-J.Starks right tackle to ATL 37 for 9 yards (25-W.Moore). 
1-10-ATL 35 (10:35) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right to 86-D.Lee. 
1-10-ATL 18 (9:06) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 87-J.Nelson pushed ob at ATL 7 for 11 yards (25-W.Moore). 
1-7-ATL 7 (8:42) 12-A.Rodgers scrambles right end for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10 50 (7:29) 12-A.Rodgers pass short left to 80-D.Driver to ATL 47 for 3 yards (23-D.Robinson).
1-10-ATL 38 (5:31) 44-J.Starks up the middle to ATL 32 for 6 yards (50-C.Lofton; 71-K.Biermann). 
1-10-ATL 11 (3:33) 30-J.Kuhn right guard to ATL 7 for 4 yards (50-C.Lofton; 53-M.Peterson). 

4 runs 26 yards 1 TD (Rogers scramble)
5 passes 3-4 plus sack 13 yards (net)

UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
13 years ago
I dissed him in that other thread last week for not being more aggressive with the lead to put it away. He did that this week. I don't think there is anything that you can get angry at him about this week. He was masterful.
blank
musccy
13 years ago

And anti-Mike McCarthy people, come on, admit it. Mike McCarthy did some really cool shit today. That call with Raji in there that Kuhn ran for a TD, that's downright awesome.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

There are myriad subtelties that we never see. Raji would be an obvious one but Aikman made a great point about how in the 1st half the Packers used their "bone" package which was used exclusively for runs vs. the Eagles, yet out of that formation we threw to Kuhn in the flat for a 1st down to give the Falcons a new look.

Formations, route running that you can't see off the TV screen, motions, all these subtleties are things that are virtually impossible for us as fans to recognize, or understand the rationale behind the set up that went into it

It appeared that Mike wanted to establish the run in the 1st quarter but when he saw the Falcons couldn't do a damn thing about our 4+ wr sets in the middle of the field, he went pass happy, he adapted in the moment of the game to what the defense was giving him. As a result, the only 2 point-less drives in the ENTIRE GAME were due to a strip and a doinked FG.
Packerchick
13 years ago
All of the hating toward Ted and Mike, all those against them owe these guys a big apology.
I am a woman and I love football.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

There are myriad subtelties that we never see. Raji would be an obvious one but Aikman made a great point about how in the 1st half the Packers used their "bone" package which was used exclusively for runs vs. the Eagles, yet out of that formation we threw to Kuhn in the flat for a 1st down to give the Falcons a new look.

Formations, route running that you can't see off the TV screen, motions, all these subtleties are things that are virtually impossible for us as fans to recognize, or understand the rationale behind the set up that went into it

It appeared that Mike wanted to establish the run in the 1st quarter but when he saw the Falcons couldn't do a damn thing about our 4+ wr sets in the middle of the field, he went pass happy, he adapted in the moment of the game to what the defense was giving him. As a result, the only 2 point-less drives in the ENTIRE GAME were due to a strip and a doinked FG.

"musccy" wrote:

Agreed about the sublitees.

Also, yes, Mike McCarthy wanted to run more but our OL let us down. Aaron was on fire. No sense running when Aaron was completing everything. Nothing against Starks. He earned every single yard he got. Our OL wasn't opening holes for him at all.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Some of the irresponsible things people say in these threads piss me off. DakotaT had it right -- a lot of us get frustrated with McCarthy. That doesn't mean we want him gone. I hate the way you people throw around words like "hate" and other bullshit like that. Being critical of someone is not the same thing as "hating" him or wanting him gone. There are plenty of times I'm critical of my wife; I have absolutely no desire to get rid of her.

Believe it or not, there IS room for dissent even in fandom.

I've said many times that I think McCarthy can take this team to the Super Bowl. I just think it will be a long, drawn-out heart attack the entire way.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago

Some of the irresponsible things people say in these threads piss me off. DakotaT had it right -- a lot of us get frustrated with McCarthy. That doesn't mean we want him gone. I hate the way you people throw around words like "hate" and other bullshit like that. Being critical of someone is not the same thing as "hating" him or wanting him gone. There are plenty of times I'm critical of my wife; I have absolutely no desire to get rid of her.

I've said many times that I think McCarthy can take this team to the playoffs. I just think it will be a long, drawn-out heart attack the entire way.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Stop shouting at the members of this forum. You don't have to be here if you hate us.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I've said many times that I think McCarthy can take this team to the Super Bowl. I just think it will be a long, drawn-out heart attack the entire way.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

All I can think of is how often you've said "Dom needs to be fired!" while reading this post of yours.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I said nothing about Dom in that post. ;)

Anyway, I have already admitted I was wrong about about him and I haven't criticized him lately.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I said nothing about Dom in that post. ;)

Anyway, I have already admitted I was wrong about about him and I haven't criticized him lately.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Don't believe I said ya did. In chat you've said it more times than I can count. So, something like 8. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (16h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.