Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/16/aaron-rodgers-has-a-lot-to-learn-about-where-his-money-comes-from/ 

We realize that only two days ago we defended largely unlikable Bears quarterback Jay Cutler from a mailed-in attack by ESPNs Rick Reilly. But since Reilly has yet to attack Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, we feel no need to defend him. (Yet.)

In fact, were going to attack him a little. (Maybe Reilly will come to his defense.)

Rodgers makes a lot of money because people are willing to pay to watch him do what he does, and because theyre willing to sit and watch him do it on television, while being bombarded with advertisements and networks promos.

Without fans, football would be lacrosse. Or indoor soccer. Or postseason baseball.

So football players need to be willing to pause and sign an autograph or two from time to time. Especially when the person seeking the autograph is female, is wearing copious amounts of NFL-licensed pink apparel, and has very short gray hair.

Theres a pretty good chance that any person fitting that description is a cancer patient. And if the NFL is going to allow the official uniform to be infiltrated by pink patches and gloves and cleats and stripes every October, high-profile NFL players need to be willing to stop and sign an autograph for someone who fits the profile of a person who is in the fight of her life.

WBAY-TV has the video evidence. Watch Rodgers breeze by Jan Cavanaugh, refusing even to acknowledge her existence. (The good news is that linebacker Clay Matthews treated her with warmth and respect.)

Hey, its a free country. Rodgers has an inalienable right to choose to behave like an ass. And the rest of us have an inalienable right to tell anyone wholl listen that hes behaving like an ass.

Rodgers needs to realize that without people like Jan Cavanaugh, whose passion for pro football prompted her to go to the airport after a radiation treatment in the hopes of getting Rodgers to sign the pink hat with the Packers logo that she always wears, make his entire lifestyle possible. Otherwise, hed be no different than a guy whos really good at throwing darts or horseshoes or cornhole bags. Hed derive personal satisfaction from the use of his God-given skills, but not much if any money.

We hope this strikes a chord with all pro athletes. The fans are the reason you get paid the big bucks. And it would be wise to show some gratitude, especially when its obvious that one of those fans isnt blessed with good health.

We also hope that Rodgers and/or the Packers track down Jan Cavanaugh and make it up to her. The fact that Rodgers would crap on a rare moment of happiness for someone whose entire life in consumed by fighting the disease and contending with the physical, mental, and emotional effects of it should make the stomach churn of anyone who has cancer, or who has seen a loved one stricken by it.

In other words, everyone.

"Mike Florio" wrote:

Here's the video
http://www.wbay.com/Global/category.asp?C=169373&clipId=5470736&topVideoCatNo=14980&autoStart=true 

This is one of those stories that bothers me because there is a lot of unknowns, but a writer pretending to know the whole story.

To imply Aaron Rodgers doesn't know where his money comes from is pretty ignorant and naive, in my view.

The lady should have gotten her autograph, no question she was in the right position, but from the video, she didn't even say anything, she froze up. Rodgers has ear buds in and was focused straight ahead.

If you don't know what it's like to be a celebrity, having everyone watching every move you make, wanting your signature for keepsake or to sell, etc ... you have no clue what its like. Not that I know, but I think that fact is missing.

This was something more GOOD about Clay, than it was something BAD by Rodgers and you can bet that once Aaron learns how important his signature is to this lady, she'll get her ink and a helluva lot more to. Because that's Aaron, that's how he is and that's what we've heard about often.

There's two sides to every story.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
After reading this article, I am left with one very big, very important question: What is a "cornhole bag"?
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Thought this comment was good.

Rogers spends a ton of time doing autographs for fansin the last regular season game he took an entire lap around the stadium shaking fans hands.

You grab one moment where he has headphones on and is prepping for the game and missed someone and now hes an ass? This sort of thing should be beneath you guys.

That said, Clay Mathews is just awesome, and it showed.

"skeletaldrawing " wrote:

It'll be interesting to hear Aaron's side of this, but now Cowherd has some ammo.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
I bet that wasn't the first autograph seeker Rodgers has ignored, and won't be the last. Unfortunate, but not a big deal.
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Fucking Pro football talk, and their pot stirring bullshit headed up by a Vikings fan Florio. Now everyone who saw that article hates Rodgers.

Rodgers wasn't even looking at her. The article makes it seem like he saw her and pushed her down. He had his headphones on, was probably exhausted after the game and media interviews.

I'm going to be furious if this is talked about all week. We don't need this kind of bullshit heading into the Bears game.
blank
wils0646
13 years ago
ugh, Florio.

I'm not defending Rodgers here, again, since we really have no idea if he knew about her beforehand (like Clay did), but Florio loves to make something out of nothing.

Not to mention he barely can hide his Vikings obsession.

I'm sure the Packers and/or Rodgers will do something for her. As they should.
The Pack Will Be Back.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
He walked on by, for sure. She should get an autograph, and is there anyone that thinks that she won't be getting one now? He was focused. Knowing the back story, it didn't look the best, but c'mon. She'll get an autograph.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
13 years ago
Rodgers contributes plenty to the community. Its unrealistic to expect him to sign for every single person that wants an autograph.
musccy
13 years ago
I was literally in the process of posting this same link.

If they reported on every single time a tom, dick, and harry didn't get their autrograph when they happened to see a celebrity at the movies or out when they were eating at the local Applebees, there would be a hell of a lot of ass hole celebrities!

For all we know ARod could be a prick, but to conclude that from a 3 second-long video clip and to extrapolate this story as PFT did is proposterous and questions the credibility of the site.
TOPackerFan
13 years ago
Florio is from Minnesota and a Vikings fan so this is no surprise.

If he wants to talk about behaving like an ass, he should look at his own team's married QB who thought it was appropriate to text pictures of his johnson to a woman who is 4 years older than his daughter.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.