dfosterf
13 years ago
NFP-Tuesday mailbag 

Not surprisingly after Sunday's tour de force, the mailbag this week was full of questions about the Packers' Aaron Rodgers. Although I have touched on some of this before, here are a few of them, with too many names to specify individually, with a couple other Packers-Bears questions:

You've been an advocate of Aaron Rodgers for a long time. Did you really know he'd be this good?

You never know that. And in my three years at the Packers with him, he only played in one meaningful game, a Thursday nighter in Dallas when he replaced Brett and played reasonably well.

Packer management saw enough in Aaron to be comfortable moving him into the role of starter. From the moment he arrived, he was popular with the players and staff. He showed off-the-charts intelligence, a wry sense of humor and an aptitude to not take the all-consuming nature of football too seriously, a trait that would serve him well in 2008. The best way to describe him may be simply "northern California cool."

On the field, I am not a scout but it was easy to notice arm strength, easy progression reads, accuracy, mobility, calm, etc. On the first practice of his first minicamp practice in 2005, Aaron easily moved away from pressure and hit Donald Driver in stride 45 yards downfield. My eyes caught those of Ted Thompson, who gave as expressive a look as I've seen him give. Aaron was going to be the guy.

Aaron prepared to be the starter over the couple of off seasons where Brett was deciding whether to retire (Brett didn't decide to return until late April in 2006). We all saw it and liked what we saw.

As I've often said, although I was not there during that ugly divorce with Brett, the decision to move on was less about Brett and more about Aaron. He'd been in the bullpen for three years and everyone knew he was ready.

What was your relationship with Aaron like when you were there?

Like others in management at the Packers, I was fairly close during our three years together there and we bantered back and forth about Cal and Stanford (my alma mater). He lost the bet on the Big Game one year and had to dress in Stanford gear on our subsequent road trip. He came over our house a couple times for dinner and was always good to my sons.

We talked and shared most during the spring of 2008 when Brett retired and then wanted to return. He fully understood the circus ahead for him. He also consulted me about the change he wanted to make in representation at that time.

You've mentioned how fate shined on the Packers in selecting him. Could you refresh?

Franchise-defining decisions often happen due to fate. I vividly remember all the defensive players that we were targeting in the Draft -- DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, to name a couple, who both went to the Cowboys -- fall off the board before our pick. And then the time came and there was one player name staring at us that we had rated as a first-round player: Aaron Rodgers. Even then it wasn't a sure thing, as I kept Aaron and his agent on hold for an agonizing ten minutes per Teds instructions while waiting to see if the phone would ring with an offer we couldnt refuse.

What about the report on television in Green Bay showing Aaron walking past a woman -- a cancer survivor -- on the way to the team flight to Atlanta?

I've made that walk many times through fans at Austin-Straubel airport on the way to the team charter (and no, no one ever asked for my autograph). Sometimes players stop, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are many fans; sometimes there are few. I don't know what happened with Aaron but I do know him -- from personal experience and reputation -- as someone who does a lot of good things far from the cameras.

Since that report, I've received dozens of emails from fans telling me of Aaron's kindness away from the media. Several messages mentioned a pre-Christmas gathering of 100 kids from the Boys & Girls club at a bowling alley with 15 Packer players; free soda, pizza and bowling; and a $100 gift certificate to Shopko for each kid. It received no publicity at the time and was completely funded by Rodgers.

I knew that during the season a couple of years ago, at eight o'clock on Saturday mornings, Aaron would be out at eight-year old flag football, warming up the kids with passes. And I knew he used to babysit for his neighbors' children to give them a night out on occasion. It is unfortunate he did no sign that woman's autograph. In the overall context of what I know, however, it's a minor hitch in a solid body of work with Packer nation, much of it while no one's looking.

Are you surprised to see the Packers doing so well?

Not at all; I picked them to win the Super Bowl at the start of the season. And I thought Atlanta was a great match-up for them; the Packers moved the ball up and down the field on the Falcons in the regular season and are a much faster team. Ironically, the Packers are more of a "dome team" than the Falcons.

The Packers are reaping the benefits of the maturation of players that have been in the system at least three years and are hitting their peaks: Greg Jennings, Tramon Williams, James Jones, Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Nick Collins, John Kuhn, Jordy Nelson, etc.

The "draft and develop" formula, with sprinkled in free agent acquisitions such as Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett, is working right now.

What about the Bears, or are you just biased?

Yes, I am biased but I am also a fan of the Bears' organization. Having competed against them in my nine years in Green Bay, I got to know that team and its staff well and think highly of them. We went through years where we were winning and they weren't; where they were winning and we weren't; where we played in Champaign, Illinois while Soldier Field was being rennovated; where we played on New Year's eve where Brett cried and everyone thought he would retire; where we lost to them and their quarterback Cade McNown; where Paris Hilton was in the next box wearing Brian Urlacher's jersey, etc.

Speaking of Urlacher, hes been the constant there. Having watched him up close twice a year for most of a decade, he consistently impressed. In a team sport with so many players on the field, it always struck me how often he showed up. He appears to be one of those rare athletes that can will a team to victory.

More on this great rivalry now playing in the NFC Championship and a prediction to come later in the week.

yooperfan
13 years ago
TT waited "an agonizing ten minutes" to see if he got an offer for the pick?
WTF?
Thanks to all the other teams that stayed put or Aaron probably wouldn't be with the Packers.
doddpower
13 years ago

Ted Thompson waited "an agonizing ten minutes" to see if he got an offer for the pick?
WTF?
Thanks to all the other teams that stayed put or Aaron probably wouldn't be with the Packers.

"yooperfan" wrote:

To see if he got an offer he could not refuse, not just an offer. Makes sense to me. If someone called offering 3 first round picks, two 2nds, and a couple of good players, he probably would have taken it. Of course I doubt he would make that offer now, but at that point, it would seem like an offer one couldn't refuse. I understand why he would at least use the time allotted to him just in case.
yooperfan
13 years ago

Ted Thompson waited "an agonizing ten minutes" to see if he got an offer for the pick?
WTF?

"doddpower" wrote:

To see if he got an offer he could not refuse, not just an offer. Makes sense to me. If someone called offering 3 first round picks, two 2nds, and a couple of good players, he probably would have taken it. Of course I doubt he would make that offer now, but at that point, it would seem like an offer one couldn't refuse. I understand why he would at least use the time allotted to him just in case.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Really, get real.
longtimefan
13 years ago

WTF?

"yooperfan" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

Really, get real.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Get real?

All he did was wait, it was their pick no one was going to get it..

How hard is that to understand?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I am glad no one came up with a Dallas-MN offer/trade.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

WTF?

"yooperfan" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

Really, get real.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Perhaps it was sarcasm, but you seemed surprised that Ted waited a bit before turning in his pick. He did his due diligence and made sure that there was no other options available that her perceived as better value than Rodgers. Typical Ted, imo, and the right decision.
nerdmann
13 years ago
Without the Mike McCarthy QB school, Aaron Rodgers may or may not be what he is today. WITH the Mike McCarthy QB school, Alex Smith would probably be as good as Rodgers, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
13 years ago

WTF?

"doddpower" wrote:

"yooperfan" wrote:

Really, get real.

"doddpower" wrote:

Perhaps it was sarcasm, but you seemed surprised that Ted waited a bit before turning in his pick. He did his due diligence and made sure that there was no other options available that her perceived as better value than Rodgers. Typical Ted, imo, and the right decision.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Unquestionably the right decision was made, but with the 24th pick in the 1st round and Rodgers who was projected to be the 1st pick is there AND he is on your board as a 1st round pick what was this draft guru thinking he was going to get.
Due diligence? Hmmmm.
gbguy20
13 years ago

Without the Mike McCarthy QB school, Aaron Rodgers may or may not be what he is today. WITH the Mike McCarthy QB school, Alex Smith would probably be as good as Rodgers, imo.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Not that I don't agree with your praise of mike mccarthy, but I think had rodgers been thrown to the dogs right off the bat like Smith was, it would be a much different situation currently.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.