MontanaBob
13 years ago
This even happened this past Saturday evening about 9:00 pm, after the Packer-Falcons game.

I let Murphi, our Yorkie, out to do her business before bedtime. Because of the deep snow, she usually follows the path I have shoveled up to the back gate of the yard, plows around in the snow, does her job and scoots down and in the house. This time she went about half way up, stopped, and started barking like there was no tomorrow, all the time looking intently at a group of fir trees and Aspen that are in our yard near the gate at the top of the yard.

I go out on the deck and yell at her to stop barking. Yeah right! That's gonna work like trying to stop the Queen Mary in 100 feet. So I go up and grab her and bring her in. Donna asks me what she is barking at. From this point on I don't remember the exact words said, but the events are branded in my brain like the brand on a young hefer.

"I don't know. Something must be up in the trees. I'm gonna check it out."

I start slowly up the hill in the narrow path Murphi has tromped down. This is her Kamikazee Bobsled run for sliding, by the way.

"Donna, flip on the yard light. Maybe I can see what's up here."

"It doesn't work. You dumbass, you forgot to change the bulb when it burned out in October."

I'm in darkness, except for those white and black shadows that are cast in the winter among trees and snow.

I slowly work my way up about 20 feet and am looking into the thicket of tree trunks.

"Ok, nothing there except.............whoops. Tree trunks don't have fur on them, do they?" Now I'm going quickly through a mental check of creatures with fur on their legs.

"Grizzlies....hibernating, except for Oscar, the local Grizzly who meanders around our neighborhood looking for handouts. Ok...he's sort of friendly."

"Lion....nope legs are too skinny and long."

This leaves Deer, Moose, or Elk. I'm hoping for Deer, but as my luck has it, nope. Not a Deer. I look up into the branches and see these big ears flapping around. I'm looking straight into the eyes of a cow elk, about 15 feet from me.

"It's a cow Elk!" I yell down to Donna. Yelling softly, by the way.

"How did she GET in the yard

"How the F_ _ _ _ do I know? She probably came in the front door, walked up the stairs, asked how the family was, and went out through the patio doors into the yard."

"how do you know it's a cow elk?"

" 'Cause she's got a pink fur hat on and lipstick. What does it matter?"

This was one time that I am really sweating it out. I'm thinking, "is this my last few minutes on earth? Am I going to get trampled?"

Ellie Elk has slowly worked her way just a few feet below me and on Murphi's bobled run, so now I'm more or less trapped. Donna is asking if she should call 9-1-1.

"Not yet. If I can get to the gate I'll lift it off it's hinges and get the hell out of the way and maybe she'll take the hint and leave. She can't jump the fence because of the drifts up here. She can't get any leverage to jump over the fence."

I work my way up to the gate, and with each step that old girl followed me, as if she knew what I was trying to do. Just then a voice comes down from the back deck of a house above us and just off the the south.

"Bob, that you there? What the hell you doing up there?"

"I'm dancing with Elk, Magoo!" Albert (Magoo) Jones is the neighborhood watchdog, blind as a bat, and has the right answer for everything, so he says.

"Wow, Bob, ya got yerself in a mess this time. What is that there? A Muley? Ya want me to get my gun and shoot it?"

Oh Christ!! Magoo couldn't hit the ground if he fell out of an airplane and he wants to shoot at an elk in the dark....from 50 yards away...downhill? With me 6 feet from the elk?

"NOOOOO! Just keep quiet and let me get the gate off its hinges and I think she'll leave. She can't jump over the fence because of the deep drifts."

Magoo goes quiet.....my wife is quiet, but has the phone in her hand ready to call the coroner, and I work to get the gate up and off the hinges. After what seemed like an hour but was probably 2 minutes, the gate is up and off and I move slowly behind a small Ponderosa tree.

Ellie Elk slowly plods up the last few feet, goes through the gate opening to freedom, and I swear she turned and looked at me and her eyes said "Thank You."

Or maybe it was, "Boy are you a dumbass."
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Pack93z
13 years ago
Well.. at least you didn't try the snowball approach. lol.

The adventures of Bob.. stuff books are written about.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
MontanaBob
13 years ago
Yeh, I thought that would really piss her off. Snowballs only work on Bison.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
4PackGirl
13 years ago
a bob classic...LOVE it!!
Formo
13 years ago
Nice. I bet those squirrels smuggled her into the yard.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
funny stuff.

Maybe she was hoping you were watching the adventures of Bullwinkle J Moose.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Bob......how you have lasted this long on the earth is a mystery. LOL!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (2h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.