wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
It may well have served his own interests but a tip of the cheese hat to Papa Bear.

Halas helped save Packers 

More than animosity, respect defines the NFL's oldest and best rivalry.

To grasp this fully, you have to go back to one day in 1956 when it wasn't Bears legend George Halas coaching against the Packers. It was Halas coaxing the people of Green Bay on behalf of the home team considered his nemesis.

With the Packers facing the threat of NFL relocation unless city residents approved a new football stadium, Halas boldly sought to keep his field enemies closer to Chicago. Everybody in Wisconsin knew Halas despised the Packers for two Sundays every football season.

But less publicized was the honorable way Halas treated the Packers organization the other 363 days of the year, best illustrated when the Bears founder showed up to push public funding for what is now Lambeau Field.

"While the NFL and other people were telling Green Bay what needed to be done, George Halas went up there and made an impassioned plea about how important the Packers were to the community," said incoming Bears Chairman George McCaskey.

At that rally in '56, heavily promoted on local radio, Halas preached to locals used to booing his Bears. When voters responded April 3, 1956, by passing the stadium referendum measure to issue bonds that greenlighted more pro football in Green Bay, Halas received a share of the credit.

McCaskey, named for his famous grandfather, chuckled when recalling the irony of a story that still makes him proud.

"I'm biased, of course, but in my view that example gives you some idea of the measure of the man," McCaskey said.

It also reveals the true spirit behind the Bears-Packers series that peaks Sunday at Soldier Field when the two teams meet for the 182nd time in the NFC championship game.

Sure, it can get nasty when the Bears and Packers play.

Halas and Curly Lambeau, the Packers vice president and head coach from 1919 to 1949, set the tone for generations to follow by regularly engaging in intense gamesmanship that nearly crossed the line of sportsmanship. Dozens of players over the years have recalled the way Halas' demeanor would transform from professional to possessed after kickoff, when he was known to heckle Packers tackled near the Bears' sideline.

"I always kind of felt Halas was a friend of the Packers, but when it came down to game day, I know he screamed like heck at them,'' said Art Daley, 94, a former sports writer for the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "It wasn't dirty. But, boy, it was intense."

We've also seen enough replays of cheap shots in the post-Halas era to have a continuous loop running in our memories. The bitterness between Mike Ditka and Forrest Gregg helped produce regrettable incidents such as Charles Martin slamming Jim McMahon in 1986 and Ken Stills clocking Walter Payton out of bounds in 1985. Surely nails-for-breakfast linebackers Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke, among others, had their outbursts too. It happens.

But generally speaking, since the first time these two franchises played almost 90 years ago, most of the vitriol exchanged comes from fans more than players and coaches. These days most of the trash-talking comes from talk-radio callers or tired comparisons of the cities. No, the modern-day Bears-Packers rivalry isn't as edgy as Steelers-Ravens or as petty as Jets-Patriots and thank goodness.

Lovie Smith didn't sound very convincing Monday when he claimed, "We don't like each other." Did he? About the same time Smith was paying lip service to manufactured hostility, Packers coach Mike McCarthy sounded sincere calling his Bears counterpart a fine coach and gentleman. Heck, Sunday's opposing quarterbacks, Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers, regularly exchange texts, and things are so chummy this week you imagine one of them ending a message "XOXO.''

Documented and anecdotal history suggests, beneath the game-day edginess, Halas occasionally showed a soft spot for the Packers going back to the NFL's infancy. Read "Papa Bear," by author Jeff Davis, and it's clear Halas always recognized how both teams needed each other to grow their respective franchises and the league.

As noted in the Packers media guide, it was Halas who was instrumental in persuading league partners in 1922 to allow Green Bay and Lambeau back in the fold after the Packers were banned for using college players illegally. Though it's interesting to note that it was Halas who originally discovered that the Packers used the players and the Bears signed one of them, Hunk Anderson, after the hubbub.

Still, a mutual respect developed, and the Packers returned the favor during the Great Depression when hard financial times left Halas scrounging for money to meet payroll expenses.

"He had to borrow money from his mother and his mother-in-law, and to me it speaks to his vision that he was able to keep things going," McCaskey said.

Halas also accepted a $1,500 loan from the Packers in 1932, according to Green Bay Press-Gazette archives. Some football historians believe it was that gesture by the Packers that drove Halas to get so involved in 1956 when the NFL deemed old City Stadium and its 24,000-seat capacity too small.

But perhaps Halas' biggest contribution to his football neighbor 185 miles to the north went beyond supporting stadium projects that kept afloat teams in small markets such as Green Bay. When the Packers needed to hire a coach at the end of the 1958 season, team President Dominic Olejniczak sought Halas' opinion.

"Vince Lombardi's your man,'' Halas told Olejniczak.

Indeed he was. No wonder when Halas died in 1983, Olejniczak was quoted in newspapers as saying, "The Packers could not have had a better friend than George Halas."

And this about the only coach to ever beat Lombardi five times.

"The story I heard was George Halas also was the only coach Vince Lombardi addressed by the title 'Coach,'" McCaskey said. "I think that's the measure of the type of respect they had for each other."

It's also another measure of what makes this respectful rivalry unique.

UserPostedImage
digsthepack
13 years ago
And at some point, Curly Lambeau gave Papa Halas the game entire gate to make payroll. This is why I have a respect for he Bears' organization.....history, long held admiration and respect between the teams, and let's face it....these two teams started pro football.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
hos327
13 years ago
Also, the 'field heater' that people say Vince turned off before the Ice Bowl was designed and bought from Halas or his brother (can't remember).
Go Pack Go!
Pack93z
13 years ago

And at some point, Curly Lambeau gave Papa Halas the game entire gate to make payroll. This is why I have a respect for he Bears' organization.....history, long held admiration and respect between the teams, and let's face it....these two teams started pro football.

"digsthepack" wrote:

I hold complete respect for the Bears organization and the tradition and pride they have conducted themselves with over the history of football.

However.. I hold a certain contempt for a good share of their fan base.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
A Bear's friend of mine was telling me this article was in the Trib. I told him that I was familiar with the story and that most of the older Packer fans were too. he was surprised.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
That is a great story and thanks for contributing it.

I would like to add my own home town story which I contibuted years ago:

When the Green Bay Packers were in financial trouble, a wealthy banker who lived across the street from me in Ishpeming in Michigans Upper Peninsula, Sam Cohodes also came to the Packers rescue.
Sam was not only a banker but controlled most of the fruit industry in the midwest.
When the Packers were in dire need of financial assistance Sam forced the businessman in the Ishpeming/ Marquette area, who depended on his bank, to buy Packers stock and season tickets. In turn the employers made it possible for their employees to buy Packers season tickets. That and the fact that the Green Bay Packers games were the only games you could watch on TV in this area helped in making most yoopers Packers fans.
This area has, since Mr. Sams largesse and strong arm tactics, been awash in Packers ticket opportunities.
And that is why that in 1956 at the age of 8 years old I was able to attend my 1st Packers game in old City Stadium sitting on wooden bleachers to became a staunch and lifelong Packers fan who can still attend a game or two still to this day.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
Mom (and Dad when he was alive) have a cabin in the UP. I listened to many a game on the radio on my way home to IL. The signal wasn't always the best. Tv at their place was pretty spotty too. damn woods. lousy little antenna too.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago

Mom (and Dad when he was alive) have a cabin in the UP. I listened to many a game on the radio on my way home to IL. The signal wasn't always the best. Tv at their place was pretty spotty too. damn woods. lousy little antenna too.

"wpr" wrote:

I'm glad to hear you have ties to the U.P.
Go Pack Go!
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (12h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (12h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (12h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (12h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (19h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.