MassPackersFan
13 years ago
I posted this on another board (other members were posting grades for their teams). I know it's still too early to grade blah blah blah. What I found really interesting was how EVERY player drafted either contributed greatly or shows promise. Seriously, where would we be this season without this draft?

Here's my breakdown.

1. OT Bryan Bulaga - B - Has started for GB since a few weeks into the season, and has been pretty solid for a rookie tackle. He transitioned to the right side when his natural position is LT, and I think he will take over LT when Clifton is done. Has made his share of mistakes, and needs to build up some strength and hone his technique, but overall a decent pick.

2. 3-4 DE Mike Neal - I - It's a shame that he ended up on IR. He's incredibly strong and a good all around football player. I'm excited to get him back next season.

3. S Morgan Burnett - I - IR again. I love how he plays the safety position though. I think he will be a starter next to Collins for many years.

5. TE Andrew Quarless - B+ - Good value pick here in the 5th. After GB lost arguably their biggest receiving threat in Finley, Quarless helped fill in and has performed admirably while developing into an NFL TE. He reminds me of Finley back in Finley's rookie year.

5. OG Marshall Newhouse - B- - Haven't really had a need for him, but he's good enough to stick around in the depth chart for a while, and could replace someone later on. I think they may even be looking at him at OT, but don't quote me on that. Recently thrown on IR.

6. RB James Starks - B+ - Great value in the 6th round. He was injured early on and placed on the PUP list, but he has finally had an opportunity to perform, and perform he has in the playoffs (NFL's leading rusher in the postseason this year).

7. 3-4 DE CJ Wilson - B+ - Does Ted Thompson miss? Jesus. Wilson has contributed quite a bit. Showed nice power and technique on his sack on Ryan last week.

NOTABLE UNDRAFTED PLAYERS:
CB Sam Shields - A - How was this guy not drafted? He has made some amazing coverage plays this year. To think that he has only had a little experience at CB... scary. I could see him starting opposite Tramon Williams when Woodson either moves to safety or retires.

OLB Frank Zombo - C+ - A work hard kind of guy. Contributed a lot, but mostly due to all of the injuries we've had at OLB. I think we need to upgrade the position, but he was a lifesaver this year.

OG Nick Macdonald - C - A developmental guy for the O-line coaches to work with. I've heard a lot of praise though. Sort of a mauler. If he succeeds, GB fans will LOVE him over Colledge, who is a kind of soft technique guy.

Overall - B+ It continues to amaze me how much talent Thompson and co. are able to find coming out of college. The team is in the NFCC game with an incredible amount of injuries sustained throughout the year (16 players on IR alone), which says it all. A lot of these guys have had the opportunity to help the team, and they have.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
If you're looking at value alone, I'd downgrade Bulaga but upgrade Starks, Wilson, and Zombo...and then give Shields an A+. It's remarkable to think of what these guys have done as rookies, and how much of a positive impact this group has had already. As the saying goes, you assess a draft 3-4 years later, but already many are playing like 3-4 year vets.
peteralan71
13 years ago
I sincerely doubt if there has ever been a group of rookies that have accrued so much playing time and played such a large part in a team's success. Incredible.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Shields' rookie season would be judged a success even if he had been a second round pick, or maybe even a late first rounder. He could prove to be the ultimate steal.
blank
Yared-Yam
13 years ago
You are too kind to Newhouse and too cruel to Zombo. Perhaps he should also be at an Incomplete.

"Shields' rookie season would be judged a success even if he had been a second round pick, or maybe even a late first rounder. He could prove to be the ultimate steal."

Yes. Looking at the 1st/2nd round picks for CBs who would you take over Shields? I see not a soul.

7. Joe Haden
20. Kareem Jackson
27. Devin McCourty
29. Kyle Wilson
32. Patrick Robinson

I constantly have debates with one of my acquaintances who I periodically purchase hallucinogens from over who will be the better pro: Kyle Wilson or Sam Shields. I think that debate has been settled. You don't start in the SEC unless you can ball and Sam can ball. This would apply to Peprah as well.
#7 Ingle Martin Supporter
The voice of REASON
13 years ago
A lot of injuries there.

Neal and Burnett would be much better players next season if they had gotten more experience.

Those that are around, including practice squad guys, got 3 weeks of practice so far just in the postseason.
blank
beast
13 years ago

You are too kind to Newhouse and too cruel to Zombo. Perhaps he should also be at an Incomplete.

"Shields' rookie season would be judged a success even if he had been a second round pick, or maybe even a late first rounder. He could prove to be the ultimate steal."

Yes. Looking at the 1st/2nd round picks for CBs who would you take over Shields? I see not a soul.

7. Joe Haden
20. Kareem Jackson
27. Devin McCourty
29. Kyle Wilson
32. Patrick Robinson

I constantly have debates with one of my acquaintances who I periodically purchase hallucinogens from over who will be the better pro: Kyle Wilson or Sam Shields. I think that debate has been settled. You don't start in the SEC unless you can ball and Sam can ball. This would apply to Peprah as well.

"Yared-Yam" wrote:

I agree I think some of those grades were made while wearing the green and gold shade (not a bad thing, GO PACK!) but maybe some holes in them.

Quarless didn't get 250 yards after getting a shot to take Finley focus point on the offense and he failed dropping so many passes which got Mike McCarthy to take away the TE as the focal point and give more to the WR and FB for the blocking plays... so if the grade is just for 2010 I'd say around C... for career I'm still stocked on him IF he can stop the dropped passes and still keep getting better... he could be another great TE in the future... but with all the mistakes and not enough plays... C...

Newhouse to me has to get a bad grade... at times he just looked plain bad this preseason and we haven't seen him since. I thought McDonald, Smith (Dietrich-Smith but I'm calling him Smith) and Babre (at OG) all were better than Newhouse. Newhouse wasn't quick or fast enough for OT (and Barbre looked better there) and at OG Newhouse technique was bad. I think he's lucky Barbre got injured/still had troubles and the coaches probably felt like it was time to move on from him and Smith was the 4th C so the number worked against him as well as his lack of upside though like Wells doesn't make too many mistakes. I heard Newhouse was the most improved player at training camp but that was mainly because he started off horrible and became decent but I don't think he out played McDonald, Barbre or Smith it's just that he's a rookie, has possible potential and was improving...

Zombo has done so well because he's brought something the other OLBs (not named Matthews) haven't brought... his physical and toughness... yeah he hasn't looked flashy in pass rush... but if you noticed no other OLB (other than Matthews some of the time) has taken the physical game to the OT doesn't back down and make sure the RB doesn't get to the outside of him with they have of all the other RBs (including Matthews at times). So no he's not the pass rush demon but he controls his side during run plays. Also he's been very surprising to me in coverage. No not great but VERY VERY GOOD for an undrafted rookie DE who was never used in coverage in college.

McDonald is a BIG guy with VERY good technique. I think he's main problem is he's coming from a pretty small school and needs time to adjust to the speed and power but he'll be a player in the future. And will get on the game day roster in the future. And maybe one day start.

You'd take Shields over McCourty?

Devin McCourty has 16 starts, 82 combined tackles (69 solo, 13 Ast) a sack, 17 pass defended, 7 INTs and 2 forced fumbles... also was the beat CB on the team I've heard so he might of always taken the other teams best WR.

Also didn't Shields play in the ACC not the SEC? right? wrong?
UserPostedImage
sanguine
13 years ago
Newhouse could do better, ok he's on IR so not a lot of chance to prove himself, but his grade can be lower. And CJ Wilson is a good player and has contributed but still needs some work and adjustments.
Mc Donald could become a very good guard in around 2 years from now? He has the size and the mindset to do it.
Shields is a steal, maybe he's not as good as McCoutry, but hey he was a free agent. And he's making a lot of plays and contributing to our defense.
We had a good draft, too bad burnett and neal were injured so quickly.
Also Bulaga has done a good job fitting in everywhere we needed him to be. LG,RT,LT...
Packer fan from Europe!
Rockmolder
13 years ago

7. Joe Haden
20. Kareem Jackson
27. Devin McCourty
29. Kyle Wilson
32. Patrick Robinson

"Yared-Yam" wrote:

Joe Haden has been playing on one hell of a level. He's been a great cover corner on a team that can't get to the QB to save their lifes. Put up one heck of a statline, as well.

Same goes for Devin McCourty, really. I'd take him over Shields, as well.

Kareem Johnson got thrown into the fire as a starter right away, on a pretty bad defense. I think he held his own somewhat ok. Just as good or better than Shields would've done, had he played for the Texans as a starter.

The jury is still out on Wilson and Robinson. Wilson was an athletic freak who showed some good stuff at the combine and the Senior Bowl. He's one of those guys who's expected to have an adjustment period.

As for Robinson, I can't imagine he won't pan out, although I've been wrong before. I was so happy when the Vikes missed out on him by their terrible move down into the 2nd.

For now, though, I admit that we've seen better football out of Shields than out of Robinson and Wilson. Since Shields is just learning the position, as well, he should only get better from here on out. Something I'm very excited about.
matteogb4
13 years ago
i love our draft but i cant wait to have neal back...he will be a beast
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.