RajiRoar
13 years ago
link-muffin 

One Chance. Make It Count.

UserPostedImage
Leadership, confidence, and an ability to turn past failures into positive play are important in a Super Bowl run. The last time the Packers had those elements were in 1996. Image: postcrescent.com

I was just listening to 1250 WSSP in Milwaukee, and LeRoy Butler had an interesting story. He was discussing how Mike Holmgren was supremely confident in his team back in 1995. He said that Holmgren's thinking was that, even on the Packers' worst day, they could not be beat. The Packers bought into this, and they mirrored their coach's confidence. And, of course, the Packers lost in the NFC Championship Game to Dallas that year. However, Butler said that on the plane ride home, Holmgren walked down the aisle of the plane and was telling guys who were feeling bummed, "It's okay, because we're going to win the Super Bowl next year." Think about that. He told them they would win the Super Bowl, the coup de grce of American sporting events.

And they did.

It was the Packers' first championship in nearly three decades, and Holmgren was telling his guys a year in advance that they would do it.

Why is this relevant?

I see the same sort of confidence with this Packers team - the same sort of confidence and desire. Of course, you have the desire to win the Super Bowl on every team. But there's a difference in that desire on championship level teams, and on the rest of the teams in the NFL. The core of this team has experienced some pretty heartbreaking playoff losses in recent years. In 2007, the Packers were one game away from the Super Bowl and they saw it slip through their fingers on their home field. They know what it's like, and they know how quickly a nice run can end. And despite that experience, they came into the playoffs in 2009 feeling like world beaters. You heard lots of variations on the theme "we're so tough to stop" in that week leading up to the Cardinals game. And the Packers made another too-early exit from the playoffs.

The core of this team should know now what it takes in the playoffs. If you look at the first two playoff games of this season, it would appear they do. And the Packers seem confident, but this seems to be that mature confidence that comes with losing some big games in recent years and yet knowing how good of a team you have. Look at the number of veteran players on this team who have caught a whiff of several Super Bowls, only to have the door slammed in their face: Charles Woodson, Donald Driver, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, and Ryan Pickett.

UserPostedImage

Woodson during the playoff loss against Arizona in 2009-2010 season. Image: annarbor.com

An interview that Lori Nickel had with Donald Driver before the recent Atlanta game was particularly interesting. Here are a few of the more interesting comments. I apologize for the long quote, but I think all of it really speaks to what I was talking about regarding the desire:

JS: The Super Bowl. Its going to be tough, the sixth seed, all on the road. When do you pull out the pregame speech of all time and tell the younger guys?

DD: You dont.

JS: There are only four guys (Driver, Charles Woodson, Chad Clifton and Ryan Pickett) with 10 or more years experience on this team. You dont say anything?

DD: No. You go out there and you play. And those guys see that. Last week was one of those things I told the guys, you know what? We just have to go and play. Were here. Theres only once chance. I told our receivers, 'youre not young anymore! Its going to get to the point where some of you will play 10 years, some only five or six. Weve got to win it now. This is it.' There are guys in the locker room who say, I want to win the Super Bowl now, because next year is not promised. Theres only one chance to get this thing. When you start looking at it that way instead of saying, oh I got next year, oh I got next year the years are not promised to you. I tell the guys, I have been in this league a long time. But how many NFC Championship games have I been to?

JS: (One, 2007)

DD: How many Super Bowls?

JS: None.

DD: Wood can say, I have been to one Super Bowl. But he can also say, 'I aint never won one, either.' Me and Wood always talk about it its just trying to get that ring.

"We've got to win it now. This is it." That was the quote that stuck with me. Driver and Woodson know they don't have many years left. Clifton, Pickett, and Tauscher know they don't have many years left.In 2007, the Packers hadn't been agonizingly close to the Super Bowl in awhile. They were a different team. They were developing a different core of players. And, in 2009, the Packers were overconfident. They didn't stay humble. They had a good team, but they hadn't put it all together.

Guys like Woodson and Driver can say they don't give big speeches, and maybe they don't because I'm not in the locker room to know. But you can also tell that they are tremendous leaders, because the younger guys are picking it up. How do I know? I submit several tweets sent by Sam Shields (@stickyshields9) this week - the first two before the Atlanta game, and the last one after the Atlanta game:

Headed to work! ATL this weekend! One chance!!

Just landed in ATL to get to work let's it one chance baby!!

Just had a great talk with my big bro Charles Woodson I'm learning!!!

One chance. That's a theme that a lot of the Packers have been echoing this year. You never know when you'll be back with a chance to win it all. It's motivating everyone on the team, and the Packers are truly blessed to have player leaders like Woodson and Driver. Referring to getting a ring, Driver said in that Nickel interview, "Our receiver group, thats all we talk about."

I think the players on this team finally have enough experience to both stay humble and know their skill level. The Packers have also finally have a coaching staff with a mix championship experience and tough playoff losses to their records. Mike McCarthy has finally piloted his team to the playoffs on several occasions, and can learn from those experiences. Dom Capers was the head coach of the Panthers when they lost in Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game in 1996. Edgar Bennett was a major part of the Packers' Super Bowl teams in the last decade. Kevin Greene was in the 1995 Super Bowl when the Steelers lost to the Cowboys, and he was part of Capers' Panthers team that lost to the Packers in 1996.

The point is that the Packers have a ton of guys in their organization that know the agony of coming up just a little short of getting a ring. And now, I think they finally have the right combination of desire and skilled players to get it done.

The Upcoming GameThe Bears do scare me a little bit. They have a solid defense, and a lot of guys on that defense who were a part of the Bears Super Bowl loss to the Colts in 2006. They seem to get lucky when they play in Chicago, and they always seem to play harder against the Packers. I think that Lovie Smith has instilled that fire about beating the Packers.

A great stat to "bear" (no pun intended) in mind was presented by this Sports Illustrated article:

Cutler is 1-3 against Green Bay since arriving in Chicago before last season. He has not been on the plus side in turnover differential in any of those games, and overall he has thrown nine picks and only four scores while completing just 55.8 percent of his passes.

And the one victory, earlier in this year, came when the Packers shot themselves in the foot over and over again - making stupid mistakes and committing stupid penalties. The good news is that the Packers seem to be a different team lately. Despite breaking a franchise record for penalties in that game, the Packers wound up finishing the season 3rd in the NFL in penalty yards per game with just 38.7, only behind Atlanta and Miami. The Packers are also 3rd in the NFL in turnover margin per game (+0.7) behind only New England and Pittsburgh, while the Bears are 12th (+0.2). [
In games that he's started and finished, Aaron Rodgers is 9-1 in his last 10 after starting the season 3-3. In the last 4 "elimination games" the Packers have had an average victory margin of +16.8ppg, with Rodgers 93-128 (72.7%) for 295 ypg, 11 TD, and 1 INT. When you eliminate the special teams touchdown that Atlanta scored, the Packers defense has given up an average of 12.5 ppg, the most being the 17 points conceded to the Giants.

Basically, the Packers have been on a roll.

And the Packers have been able to play with every team in the league so far this year, even when they were struggling at the outset, and even when they have had an unbelievable amount of injuries. Giving a significant amount of playing time to guys like Erik Walden and Howard Green, rookies like Sam Shields, Andrew Quarless, and James Starks, the Packers have pulled together and had players step up.

They have not lost by more than 4 points this season, and their biggest deficit of the year still stands at 7 points. Therefore, I think that no matter what the Packers will be in the game with a chance to win. And with the amount of experience and desire on their team, I think that gives them an excellent chance to be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl.

"Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." --Vince Lombardi

"dishingoutdimes" wrote:

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
RajiRoar
13 years ago
just a fantastic post, thought it needed to be spread.

hope i got the format right.

cant really work the quote thingy right now, every time i click in the textbox, it jumps to the top of the page.

yellow = something he quoted.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Hit the Edit button, select your entire post (Ctrl+A will do the trick) and hit the UserPostedImage button. Then the whole thing will be quoted so it will be obvious it's not your own words.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Just had a great talk with my big bro Charles Woodson I'm learning!!!

This just made me feel all warm and tingly inside. I mean...*ahem*

*puffs out chest*

...in a manly way, of course.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

peteralan71
13 years ago
That truly was a great post. Makes a person sit back and realize how truly remarkable this season was and what a shame it would be to let it go to waste, because we will never have this exact team again. Ever. Make it happen.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.