Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5410§ion_id=40 

CHICAGO Afterward, Ted Thompson emerged from a tiny hallway and looked around the victorious visitors locker room, taking it all in.

He saw showboating, intercepting nose tackle B.J. Raji smiling, proudly modeling his new NFC Champions t-shirt. He heard special teams maven Jarrett Bush talking a mile a minute about the punt coverage. He watched Chad Clifton, one of only seven thirtysomethings on the 53-man roster, basking in the glow of the biggest victory of his 11-year NFL career. He watched quarterback Aaron Rodgers posing for a photo with team doctor Pat McKenzie, all smiles both. And he would have seen unflappable Sam Shields grinning from ear to ear, but the game-saving cornerback had been swallowed up by a throng of reporters and TV cameras.

Known for his stoic demeanor and milquetoast public persona, the Green Bay Packers general manager was asked what emotions were coursing through him after watching his team punch its ticket to Super Bowl XLV in North Texas with hard-fought a 21-14 victory over the NFC North rival Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Thompson paused for a moment, and smiled.

You want me to cry? he said. I think I can.

Then, he paused again.

It just feels good to get the Packers back to the Super Bowl and be a part of this, said Thompson, who incurred the wrath of roughly half of the teams passionate fan base with his decision to trade unretiring quarterback Brett Favre in the summer of 2008. Ive always said the best part of my job was a winning locker room. And a winning locker room (when) you get to go to the Super Bowl is only succeeded by the one at the Super Bowl if you get to have a winning locker room there.

Our goals not to win this game. Our goal is to win the next one.

That next one will be on Feb. 6 in Arlington, Texas, where the Packers (13-6) the first team in NFC history to advance to the Super Bowl as a No. 6 seed, winning three consecutive playoff games on the road will face the AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers (14-4) for the Lombardi Trophy at Cowboys Stadium.

Im numb. Its a great feeling, said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, a born-and-bred Pittsburgher who directed his team to victory in five consecutive win-or-go-home games, including two regular-season victories over the New York Giants and the Bears to get them into the playoffs. Im just so proud of our football team.

Defense, special teams, people making plays down the stretch it was the typical Green Bay-Chicago game with everything on the line. Im very proud of our players and very proud of our coaches. Were fired up and getting ready to go to Dallas, Texas.

Theyre going there because of a defense that repeatedly came up with game-turning and game-saving plays, an offense that did just enough, and a special teams group that kept the Bears most dangerous player under wraps all game long a formula they used for much of the year while bouncing back from a 3-3 start and overcoming an avalanche of injuries that landed 15 players on season-ending injured reserve.

This year was just a different year, said Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who spent three years sitting the bench behind Favre and now in his third year as a starter is taking the franchise to its fifth Super Bowl and first since the 1997 season. We were 3-3 at one point. We won four in a row and then lost. We got hurt. We were 8-6, and we had to win five elimination games. And thats what makes it that much sweeter.

The way things started, it looked like the Packers might steamroll the Bears (12-6) on their slippery, sandy home field. Zinging darts to Greg Jennings (22, 26 yards) to start the drive and Jordy Nelson (22 yards) to set up first-and-goal, Rodgers capped a seven-play, 84-yard drive by sprinting to the left pylon on a play-action keeper to give the visitors a 7-0 lead after the Bears had won the toss and chosen to defer.

But it wasnt going to be that easy. Even after they expanded the lead to 14-0 on James Starks 4-yard touchdown run with 11:13 left in the first half, the Packers simply could not put the Bears away even after much-maligned quarterback Jay Cutler suffered a left knee injury and was unable to continue after the opening possession of the second half.

When you get down 14-0, thats tough 14-0 and you lose your starting quarterback, said Bears coach Lovie Smith, whose team split the regular-season series with the Packers, winning 20-17 at home in September before losing 10-3 at Lambeau Field in the regular-season finale. But our guys continued to fight, giving ourselves the chance to win the game at the end.

The Packers ineptitude had something to do with that. Driving for a potential score just before halftime, Rodgers low pass to wide receiver Donald Driver caromed off of Drivers left foot and into the arms of linebacker Lance Briggs for an interception at the Chicago 41-yard line, and while Shields interception on a Cutler deep ball to Johnny Knox two plays later prevented the Bears from closing the gap, the opportunity to score had been squandered.

We felt we had them on the ropes there for awhile, McCarthy said. We just couldnt get the game to a three-score game.

Then, on the packers first possession of the third quarter, Rodgers drove them to the Bears 6-yard line. Then, on third-and-goal, he inexplicably threw the ball right to linebacker Brian Urlacher, who picked it off and returned it 39 yards and might have gone for a touchdown had Rodgers not tripped Urlacher up.

It was a terrible throw. Once I threw it, I started sprinting, and I was hopeful that I was able to at least catch up to him, said Rodgers, who hadnt thrown an interception in playoff wins over Philadelphia and Atlanta. Im glad I got him down.

The Bears offense with backup Todd Collins at the helm failed to convert the turnover into points, however, going three-and-out. The Bears then went to emergency third quarterback Caleb Hanie in the final minute of the third quarter meaning Cutler and Collins could not return and Hanie directed an eight-play, 67-yard drive to get the Bears on the board with Chester Taylors 1-yard run with 12:02 left in the game.

When the Packers were forced to punt on their next two possessions, the Bears had every chance to tie the game. Instead, facing a third-and-5 at the Chicago 15 with 6:12 left, Hanie didnt see Raji dropping into coverage on a zone blitz, and when he tried to get the ball to running back Matt Forte in the left flat, Raji intervened and prematurely celebrated his interception all the way to the end zone on an 18-yard pick-six return to make it 21-7.

How fitting is it for the Green Bay Packers to win an NFC Championship with defense? the second-year nose tackle crowed afterward. For us to come out and play great defense, its a remarkable feeling.

And, it was necessary. Just when it looked like the Packers were in control, Hanie hit Earl Bennett for a 35-yard TD just four plays after Rajis score, and it was again a one-score game. And with the Packers offense still unable to get going, a three-and-out forced yet another punt.

We definitely didnt execute as well the second half, no question about that, said Clifton, who returned after suffering a neck stinger on the Packers opening offensive series. Give our defense credit, they played their butts off and kept us in the game.

And then, they won it. After punter Tim Masthay delivered a clutch perfectly placed, 58-yard, 4.13-second hang-time punt that flipped the field position from the Packers 24, the Bears had the ball at their own 29 with 2:53 to go. Then, Hanie converted a third-and-9 with a 10-yard completion to tight end Greg Olsen, and Taylor converted a fourth-and-1 at midfield.

But on fourth-and-5 from the Packers 29, Hanie went deep for Knox, only to see Shields snare his second interception of the game to send the Packers to Big D with a huge W.

Weve always felt that we are a very good football team. Now, we have a chance to achieve greatness (and) bring the Lombardi trophy back home, McCarthy said. Really, the way our season went, the trials and tribulations that we encountered, to me, that was how we were shaped. I think its made us a better football team. Its challenged our character. I think weve really grown through it.

Our players truly believe that we will be successful in Dallas, just like they truly believed that we were going to be successful here today. This was the path that was chosen for us, and I think its really shaped a hell of a football team.

"Jason Wilde" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
There are 6 teams with better regular season records who are no longer in it and 5 teams with more overall wins who are no longer in it. If the Packers win in two weeks, they'll end the season tied for most wins in the league despite having one more loss. That's pretty impressive.

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins. Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605). Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

There are 6 teams with better regular season records who are no longer in it and 5 teams with more overall wins who are no longer in it. If the Packers win in two weeks, they'll end the season tied for most wins in the league despite having one more loss. That's pretty impressive.

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins.
Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605).
Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Does that include the Patriots game he didn't play?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I didn't say "with Rodgers at the helm" -- I said "in the Rodgers era" for a reason. 😛
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I didn't say "with Rodgers at the helm" -- I said "in the Rodgers era" for a reason. :P

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Weak.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The Packers are now 30-21 (0.588) overall in games in which Rodgers has started. If they win it all, they'll be 31-21 (0.596) since he took the reins. So either way you look at it, McCarthy's overall winning percentage is marginally higher than Rodgers'.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

The Packers are now 31-21 (0.596) overall in the Rodgers era. If they win it all, they'll be 32-21 (0.604) since he took the reins.

Mike McCarthy is currently 48-32 (0.600). A Super Bowl victory would bring his record to 49-32 (0.605).

Ted Thompson is currently 56-46 (0.549) and a Lombardi Trophy would leave him with a record of 57-46 (0.553).

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The Packers are now 30-21 (0.588) overall in games in which Rodgers has started.

If they win it all, they'll be 31-21 (0.596) since he took the reins.

So either way you look at it, McCarthy's overall winning percentage is marginally higher than Rodgers'.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I'm confused. Packers lost the one game Rodgers didn't start, but in the Rodgers Era (which does not mean he started but was on the team) you have 31 wins and under the 'helm' of Rodgers, its 30 wins?

I'm royally sucking at understanding and math lately.

2008 6 - 10
2009 11 - 5 0 - 1
2010 10 - 5 3 - 0

30 - 21 with Rodgers starting, including playoffs
30 - 22 since Rodgers took over, includes one game he did not start.

???
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Yes, I made a mistake with the math, which I realized as I was laying in bed last night. And I knew equally as certainly that you would be sure to write a post calling me on it.

Sorry I decided not to get up at 1:30 in the morning to correct a single digit.

If you'd let it go, I would have fixed it this morning, but just for that, I'm letting my post stand. :violent3:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (10h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (11h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.