Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5426§ion_id=40 

GREEN BAY Mike Holmgren wishes everyone knew the Ted Thompson that he knows.

Maybe, Holmgren figures, just maybe, his old friend will open up during the next two weeks leading up to Super Bowl XLV, let a few people in as he takes the Green Bay Packers team that he built back to his old stomping grounds in Texas. Perhaps, having grown up in a little cattle-ranching town in Northeast Texas called Atlanta, gone to college in Dallas at SMU and played 10 NFL seasons in Houston, Thompson will find himself surrounded by fellow Texans, drop his guard a bit and introduce the general public to the guy Holmgren knows and loves.

But knowing Thompson the way he does, Holmgren the Cleveland Browns president and former Packers and Seattle Seahawks head coach doubts that will happen.

Its a shame, said Holmgren, who worked with Thompson in Green Bay from 1992 through 1998, then hired him away from the Packers to run the Seahawks personnel department from 2000 through 2004. I tease him. I said, When you go there, youve got to extend yourself a little bit. Youre not on your horse in the North 40, counting the cows. But he is who he is.

Problem is, most folks dont know who that is.

They know Thompsons resume, that he came to the Packers personnel department in 1992 under then-GM Ron Wolf, the architect of the 1996 team that won Super Bowl XXXI. They know he spent five seasons as Holmgrens right-hand personnel man in Seattle after Holmgren got the dual role of Seahawks coach/GM. They know he returned to Green Bay in January 2005 when coach/GM Mike Sherman was stripped of his general manager duties following the 2004 season, and then-president/CEO Bob Harlan wanted to split the jobs.

They also think they know the kind of guy he is, with more than a few misguided souls accusing him of being an egomaniac who drove away iconic quarterback Brett Favre during the tumultuous summer of 2008. Even now, some of those people stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that Thompson may simply have been put in a tough position and made the decision he thought was in the teams long-term best interest.

But, they dont know who he is, really.

Ill tell you who he is: Hes honest, hes talented, hes hard-working. Hes loyal. Hes a great friend. Hes great. Hes great, Holmgren said. If there was any way I could have talked him into staying in Seattle when he made that change (to become Packers GM), I wouldve. But the Packers kind of came in and swooped him up. And hes doing great.

Hes done a great job. Theyre a really good football team.

That is one thing that at this point isnt open to debate. As he stood in a small alcove inside the triumphant Soldier Field visitors locker room Sunday evening, he tried to be inconspicuous in his white Tommy Bahama half-zip. Moments earlier, hed stood in the background during the Halas Trophy presentation and watched the ceremony without making any effort to inject himself into the proceedings, and now he had a thicket of microphones and digital recorders in his face, all attached to questioners who wanted him to talk about his least-favorite subject: Himself.

This is very satisfying, to be able to take the Packers back to the Super Bowl. Its special. And I think the people in here, the players in here know that its special, Thompson said.

Theres not any more satisfaction Im very satisfied that we won the game (but) I dont take any personal satisfaction with the way we do things. Because we do things the way Ron Wolf taught us to. Everybody that works in our personnel department was tutored under Ron Wolf, including myself. So were just doing our job.

And after enduring more than his share of harsh, mean-spirited criticism in the wake of the Favre decision, he has done that job wonderfully, although by taking a vastly different approach than the flamboyant Wolf.

I hired Ted with the thought that he could do for us what Ron Wolf did for us in the 90s, and hes on his way to accomplishing that. Hes built a great ballclub, Harlan said in an interview last week on ESPNMilwaukee and ESPNMadison. Nobody agrees with every decision the general manager makes. But when you look at the two eras, they were built very much the same way.

When Ron Wolf came in, he hired a good coach in Mike Holmgren, got a franchise quarterback in Brett Favre and he got a standout defensive player in Reggie White. And that was our foundation in the 90s. Now Ted Thompson comes in, gets a good coach in Mike McCarthy, gets a franchise quarterback in Aaron Rodgers and has a sound defense formed around Charles Woodson and Clay Matthews. So these two men have worked very much alike. And after what we went through in the 70s and 80s when we could never win, what Ron accomplished in the 90s and what Ted Thompson has accomplished in the last six years, its just good to see the Packers back among the elite teams where they belong.

They are different type people. Ron Wolf, he will take more chances. And he did appreciate the spotlight more. Ted is really a back room guy. I remember when I was going to hire him, I went to one of the PR individuals and told him what I was going to do, and the first thing the person said to me was, Boy, Teds not very good with the press. And I said, Im not hiring him to be good with the press. Im hiring him to build a football team for us. And he will do that. And he has done that. The personality doesnt matter.

One aspect of Thompsons personality that does matter, though, is the way hes the same person day-in and day-out. While Packers fans everywhere were rejoicing in the teams first Super Bowl berth since 1997, Thompson was packing his bags for Mobile, Ala., where hell be attending the Senior Bowl this week, just as he does every offseason.

Ted Thompson, he's the easiest guy in the world to work with because he's so consistent. He's perfect for a first-time head coach. He was for me, said McCarthy, whom Thompson hired in January 2006 despite being a relative unknown among head-coaching candidates at the time. He's the same person every day. He doesn't make emotional decisions. He has a plan, sticks to his plan. Has the strength to stick to the plan even through the storms. He's the leader of our football operations. He's why this team is in the shape that it's in and why the future looks so bright.

Until Sundays victory over the Chicago Bears in the NFC Championship Game, Thompson had been defined in many fans minds by the Favre decision. When the future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback decided to unretire, Thompson could have caved to public pressure and given him his old job back, stunting the growth of Rodgers, who has in three years as a starter developed into one of the NFLs elite quarterbacks at age 27.

Instead, Thompson stood his ground, despite ad hominem attacks and fans who steadfastly refused to entertain the notion that he might have known what he was doing. Throughout the ordeal, the franchise stood by him, even as the situation grew ugly.

Its always been easy (to support Thompson) because I have confidence in the quality of the person, president/CEO Mark Murphy said. I cant imagine theres a general manager in the league that works any harder than Ted. He just has a real good feel for what the team needs. Ive just been very impressed and have a lot of confidence in him.

I think this year really showed the quality of Teds work over the last two to three years. You look at the depth of the roster, players hes been able to identify. Weve got starting players, players playing key roles for us, who were undrafted free agents this year. Thats a tribute to Ted and his staff, that they were able to identify the players. You look at the draft, and the quality and depth of the team, and that was crucial to the success weve had.

Ive always had great confidence in Ted and Mike. I think what has set the Packers apart is we hire good people to make football decisions and we let them make those decisions. Thats what youve seen here.

Asked whether he ever saw Thompson waver during the Favre fiasco, McCarthy said no.

I understand how passionate our fan base is, McCarthy said. That particular situation, there was a lot that was out in the public. But I think it truly shows the strength of Ted to stick to his guns, stay the course. We stayed with the plan. We made the decision based on what we felt was the best interests of the Green Bay Packers, and we never budged off of it. It wasn't popular, and it wasn't fun at times, but we felt it was the right decision. And I think why we're standing here today talking about it proves it was the right decision.

Thompson has made a lot of those since then, too. This season, amid an avalanche of injuries that landed 15 players on injured reserve, he has patiently allowed drafted players blossom and while picking players like Erik Walden and Howard Green off the scrap heap. Just as important, hes made the smart call on moves he chose not to make.

When starting running back Ryan Grant went down with a season-ending ankle injury in Week 1, he chose not to give up draft picks to acquire Buffalos Marshawn Lynch or Dallas Marion Barber and watched rookie James Starks burst onto the scene. When veteran cornerback Al Harris was eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list, Thompson opted to cut the two-time Pro Bowler for fear that he would become a malcontent if buried on the depth chart and watched as Tramon Williams became a star and rookie Sam Shields developed at warp speed.

Ted's always had the mind focus that he's always going to build the team and build what's best for this team. He's done a great job at it, wide receiver Donald Driver said. So many people are wondering, Why he didnt go out and get this guy, that guy? That wasn't his mindset. His mindset is, he can build within this locker room. And that shows you what type of character he has to trust in the players that are already here that they can build this team. I take my hat off to him. Normally you think a GM would have to go out and grab players to make this team better. He didn't believe in that.

Instead, he stuck to what he believed in, and now its paid off with a trip to North Texas for Super Bowl XLV which could be the first of several on his watch.

We're a young team that continues to grow, outside linebacker Clay Matthews said. He's obviously taken hits through the media and maybe not picking up a guy or the whole Favre situation. But we're in the Super Bowl now. There's not a whole lot you could say about him that's not positive.

"Jason Wilde" wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
They kind of over simplified the whole Farve issue but I suppose that is fine for now.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

They kind of over simplified the whole Farve issue but I suppose that is fine for now.

"wpr" wrote:

Favre.

I don't think it was over simplified, I think it was mentioned in minor to not take focus off the bigger picture, because, oh mah gawd, not everything is about Brett Favre.

Read this article, and I'm surprised not more have something to say about it. Bummed that the one freaking comment mentions Favre. 😞
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Favre.

I don't think it was over simplified, I think it was mentioned in minor to not take focus off the bigger picture, because, oh mah gawd, not everything is about Brett Favre.

Read this article, and I'm surprised not more have something to say about it. Bummed that the one freaking comment mentions Favre. :(

"wpr" wrote:

Sorry I did not put a winking smilie on there to show I know I was mispelling Brent's :thumbleft: name. My bad.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
TED THOMPSON!!!! WOOHOOO
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Like it or not, Favre was one of the most important decisions in TT's career. At the time, I thought he made the wrong decision. I'm glad it was I who was wrong. Even in '09 when Favre swept us, I knew Ted Thompson was right as Favre I thought at the time was winding down and desperate for a ring whereas Aaron had another 10 years in front of him.

The Harris problem was handled correctly as was the Grant situation (lacking a RB). I wanted M Lynch until I saw his personality profile. I think we did talk to him before the draft and Ted Thompson didn't like what he heard so when the chance to get him came up again, Ted Thompson didn't pull the trigger. Glad he didn't.

These were all pretty big decisions and Ted Thompson was right on all 3.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
13 years ago
I think the thing that got to a lot of fans was the fact that Ted Thompson saw exactly where the Packers were at when he got here and many fans did not want to let go of what we had.

What we had was a team that generally won what was at the time a weak division so they routinely made the playoffs. In addition to this the Packers had been swinging and missing in the draft for years so the core players were old and getting older with nobody behind them that could play. We were, to say the least, at a very dangerous crossroads.

When Thompson hired McCarthy a whole lot of people asked "who"? The thing is that was when the two of them working with each other began to put a blueprint together to rebuild the team.

This is not what a lot of people wanted but if we hadn't gotten Thompson in here when we did and he didn't move to correct the issues as fast as he did starting out by drafting eleven players that very first year this team would be nowhere near where it is now.

Now we have a GM who is relentless in his pursuit of young talent and a HC and staff very good at bringing these young guys along. Thus, you read articles from our opponents like the Bears concerned that the gap may even grow wider before it gets closer.

The thing is, yes we made it to the SB, but the fact of the matter is this team will be even better and more talent laden next year and for years to come. I think I would be discouraged too.

Yes, in the early 2000's we would have a good record and make the playoffs almost every year but the guys on those teams eventually got older. The likelyhood of that team continuing to have success and especially to be able to push further on and win the whole deal was moving further away rather than getting closer.

Thompson saw it. He moved on it. Now we not only have reached the highest peak there is little reason to feel the Packers can't duplicate this and be outstanding for years to come.

The only shame I can see from all of this is for those that refused and may still refuse to jump on and enjoy the ride. All I can say is yeah we were pretty darn good in '02, and '03 but we are BETTER now. Put a smile on your face.
"The train is leaving the station."
RajiRoar
13 years ago

not everything is about Brett Favre.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ESPN hates you.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

not everything is about Brett Favre.

"RajiRoar" wrote:

ESPN hates you.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I will bet Madden does too.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
I still think Thompson and his front office are weaker than they should be with regard to the evaluation and pursuit of OL talent. In the event that GB should lose on Feb 6, it will almost certainly be because Pittsburgh exposes and takes advantage of their OL limitations. :horse:

Where I have changed my mind is that I now believe the team (and not just the QB) is so good that they can transcend the OL weaknesses.

And Ted, IMO, deserves a big, big chunk of credit for that. I can't deny it. If any team can overcome a weak OL, its the team Ted has built.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.