macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2011/01/25/yardsticks/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Patriots+news 

It seems like destiny that the Packers and Steelers will meet in Super Bowl XLV a week from Sunday.

Sure, theyre two of the most historic and successful franchises in NFL history.

But more than that, theyre practically blood brothers. Or second cousins.

Not just because of personal history and theres plenty of that but because of what happens on the field.

Do these things sound familiar?

Athletic quarterback who is tough to sack and will keep plays alive with his feet.

Veteran receiver who is as tough as they come.

Young deep threat who can break your back with a big play.

Nose tackle who is strong, quick, and disruptive.

Outside linebacker who is ferocious and relentless as a pass rusher.

Safety who makes plays and can turn a game around in a split second.

They should ring a bell, because both the Packers and the Steelers have them.

Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers. Hines Ward and Donald Driver. Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings. Casey Hampton and B.J. Raji. James Harrison and Clay Matthews. Troy Polamalu and Nick Collins.

The Packers are virtually a mirror image of the Steelers right down to the fact that both teams hate free agency and develop from within.

And that didnt happen by mistake.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy is from the lower Greenfield section on the south side of Pittsburgh known as the Run. His father, Joe, was a policeman, then a firefighter, and owned a bar that bore his name. The family sold the bar more than two decades ago, but the stories of young Mike and his brothers working cleanup are alive and well. Joe and Ellen McCarthy still live in the house where they raised their five children.

As a low-paid assistant coach at the University of Pittsburgh from 1989-91, McCarthy worked the midnight shift in a turnpike toll booth.

Pittsburgh is who McCarthy is. Even helped him land the Packers coaching job in 2006.

I liked his Pittsburgh macho, general manager Ted Thompson has said.

When the Packers went 6-10 in 2008 a year after reaching the NFC Championship game, McCarthy decided to fire defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and his basic 4-3 defense predicated on press coverage from the cornerbacks.

He went looking for a coordinator who could put together the 3-4 pressure scheme he always wanted. He found Dom Capers, who as the Steelers defensive coordinator from 1992-94 helped cook up the famed zone blitz with a defensive backs coach by the name of Dick LeBeau (who coached defensive backs for the Packers in the 1970s).

Thats the way it always was in Pittsburgh, McCarthy said last season before facing the Steelers on Dec. 20. You play great defense, and that was always the bottom line to winning championships.

I know my history as an offensive coach, but clearly when I became a head coach, I did not want to be known as a former quarterback coach that was a head coach. It definitely starts with defense. Thats always been my vision, and we feel like weve made strides towards that this year definitely. I think thats just part of growing up in western Pennsylvania.

Many of McCarthys assistant coaches have ties to Pittsburgh as well.

Outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene had 35 1/2 sacks with the Steelers from 1993-95. Safeties coach Darren Perry played seven years for the black and gold, and coached another four under Bill Cowher. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements was one of the best two-sport athletes (football and basketball) to ever come out of the Pittsburgh area. McCarthy even idolized him before Clements went to Notre Dame and led the Irish to the national championship in 1973. Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, tight ends coach Bob McAdoo, and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum all spent time in the area.

This is going to be a very unique experience for everybody, McCarthy said yesterday. Half my coaching staff has either played in Pittsburgh or is from Pittsburgh. So there will be a lot of story lines from that perspective. I think the fact that Im from back there, its neat. Im a Pittsburgh Steeler fan growing up. Theyre my second-favorite team.

And one of the few teams McCarthy has yet to get the best of.

They only faced off once, in that Dec. 20, 2009 game at Heinz Field, and it was an all-timer. In fact, it was the first time in NFL history that a game ended with a 37-36 score, and it happened when Roethlisberger connected with an outstretched Wallace in the end zone on a 19-yard touchdown as time expired.

It was not a game for defensive purists. The teams combined for 973 yards of total offense, and the two quarterbacks combined to complete 55 of 94 passes for 886 yards and six touchdowns.

The Packers couldnt stop tight end Heath Miller, who torched linebacker A.J. Hawk for seven catches and 118 yards. Or Hampton, who blew up the run game so much McCarthy called just 12 runs. But Harrison found no traction against veteran left tackle Chad Clifton.

Jennings caught five passes for 118 yards, including an 83-yard touchdown. End Cullen Jenkins and linebacker Matthews had Roethlisberger running all game long.

Steelers safety Polamalu did not play in that game because of injury. The Packers have replaced nickel back Jarrett Bush and dime back Jacob Bell who were both beaten on Wallace touchdowns, with Sam Shields, who had two interceptions in the NFC title game win over the Bears, and Pat Lee.

Much has changed since that meeting on a raw December day.

But the backbones of the teams remain the same. And are the same.

For the Packers and the Steelers, its the ties that bind.

Boston.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Jacob Bell = Josh Bell
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I actually though he might take the nickel spot before mini camp.

I think he may be another of TTs hidden gems. Too bad he got hurt and ended up on IR.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (5h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (5h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (8h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (8h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (8h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (8h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (9h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (20h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (21h) : damn those vikings
beast (21h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (21h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (21h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (21h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.