macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

They're one game away from world champions!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

So the 9-7 Arizona Cardinals were "world class"? If the Seahawks had somehow made the Super Bowl this year, would they have been "world class" despite their losing regular-season record? The Bucs had the same record as the Packers this year, and had they not been in the NFC South, might easily have made the playoffs. Why are they not "world class"? Were the 11-5 Patriots from a couple of years ago not world class simply because they had the misfortune of being in the wrong division? For that matter, were the 18-1 Patriots not world class because they failed to win it all, and were the Giants more world class than they?

The Green Bay Packers team is world class, and any one who says different I take take exception to.

"packfaninbucland" wrote:

So you believe that if the Packers were pitted against, say, the Patriots or Falcons, they would win a majority of times?

I think you're ignoring a lot of contextual aspects -- not to mention a certain measure of luck -- in making your sweeping statements.

"packfaninbuckland" wrote:

The 2010 Packers ARE world class. They will be playing the Steelers in two weeks to decide which team is the best in the world. Win OR lose, they are world class.

They are in the SUPER BOWL (!!!!!!) with 16 players on IR.

They have accomplished this year what NO OTHER TEAM IN THE SUPER BOWL ERA has accomplished, and only 3 teams have accomplished since 1942--they have never trailed by more than 7 points at any time throughout the season, win or lose. edit: And that includes the 2007 New England Patriots, who dropped behind New York by 12 pts in their opening season game before rallying to win.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8534 

Green Bay's six losses were by a combined total of 21 pts. The Seahawks? Their 10 losses AVERAGED 21 pts per loss.

Are they perfect? No. They have issues. Are they the best team ever? No. But are they world class??? ABSOLUTELY.

And to answer your question, yes I do think they'd beat the Patriots and the Falcons a majority of the time. We almost beat the Patriots in their own stadium with the #1 QB standing on the sidelines, while accumulating a 40-20 min time of possession advantage. And we DID beat the Falcons in their own stadium after they had two weeks to rest and prepare for the game. Given this team, this year, I think we'd beat them like a drum.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

They're one game away from world champions!

"macbob" wrote:

So the 9-7 Arizona Cardinals were "world class"? If the Seahawks had somehow made the Super Bowl this year, would they have been "world class" despite their losing regular-season record? The Bucs had the same record as the Packers this year, and had they not been in the NFC South, might easily have made the playoffs. Why are they not "world class"? Were the 11-5 Patriots from a couple of years ago not world class simply because they had the misfortune of being in the wrong division? For that matter, were the 18-1 Patriots not world class because they failed to win it all, and were the Giants more world class than they?

The Green Bay Packers team is world class, and any one who says different I take take exception to.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

So you believe that if the Packers were pitted against, say, the Patriots or Falcons, they would win a majority of times?

I think you're ignoring a lot of contextual aspects -- not to mention a certain measure of luck -- in making your sweeping statements.

The 2010 Packers ARE world class. They will be playing the Steelers in two weeks to decide which team is the best in the world. Win OR lose, they are world class.

They are in the SUPER BOWL (!!!!!!) with 16 players on IR.

They have accomplished this year what NO OTHER TEAM IN THE SUPER BOWL ERA has accomplished, and only 3 teams have accomplished since 1942--they have never trailed by more than 7 points at anytime throughout the season, win or lose.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8534 

Green Bay's six losses were by a combined total of 21 pts. The Seahawks? Their 10 losses AVERAGED 21 pts per loss.

Are they perfect? No. They have issues. Are they the best team ever? No. But are they world class??? ABSOLUTELY.

And to answer your question, yes I do think they'd beat the Patriots and the Falcons a majority of the time. We almost beat the Patriots in their own stadium with the #1 QB standing on the sidelines, while accumulating a 40-20 min time of possesion advantage. And we DID beat the Falcons in their own stadium after they had two weeks to rest and prepare for the game. Given this team, this year, I think we'd beat them like a drum.

"packfaninbuckland" wrote:

+1

I never felt like there was a team in the NFL we couldn't beat.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I think you guys misunderstand my point. I wasn't trying to denigrate the accomplishments of the Packers this season. I was mainly trying to get the new guy to flesh out his statement, something he assiduously refused to do.

There are 32 teams in this league. It can't be denied that 7 teams had better records than the Packers this year, and an additional 5 teams had the same record as they did. A full 37.5 percent -- more than a third -- of the league had a record as good as or better than the Packers'. In light of that, the description "world class" strikes me as a bit hyperbolic.

But that's what I like about the NFL playoff system as oppose to, say, the BCS. A team doesn't have to be perfect -- or anywhere close to it -- in order to have a chance to win it all. It just has to be good enough at the right time. It's a system that makes Cinderella stories possible.

I would argue that the Packers are this year's Cinderella story, and I love it.
UserPostedImage
packfaninbucland
13 years ago
No offense but I don't feel the need to "flesh out" my statement. I argued that the Pack is world class simply by being in the big dance and I'll stick to that. A team is dynamic, not static. It changes every year because of free agency, injuries, trades, retirements, etc. This year, regardless of their record, they beat the right teams at the right time to enter the biggest game of the year and the have the opportunity to become world champions which I argue makes them world class regardless of whether they lost to the worst team during the course of the year. There's no hyperbole, it is fact.

I'm not exactly new here I just don't post much and stop in only on occasion. I go back to the old Gazette forum with guys like RP and Bruce when he was around.

Go Pack!
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

I'm not exactly new here I just don't post much and stop in only on occasion. I go back to the old Gazette forum with guys like RP and Bruce when he was around.

Go Pack!

Yes, I remember you. You disappeared. Good to hear from you again.

That forum was on the Green Bay News-Chronicle site. Then the newspaper went out of business, so we had to jump ship to the Packer Forum, then when that site got taken over by the forces of evil, we went to Packers Home. We are Internet refugees.
blank
packfaninbucland
13 years ago
That's the word I was looking for - Chronicle.

I remember you too, Greg. Not sure how many other posters are on here from that site and I'm sure some have changed their names from before. I still miss that forum and kind of miss the old layout as well. Hope you're doing well.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

I remember you too, Greg. Not sure how many other posters are on here from that site and I'm sure some have changed their names from before. I still miss that forum and kind of miss the old layout as well. Hope you're doing well.

Yes, it was fun. For a lot of us, it was our first experience with a message board. Unfortunately, the site was unmoderated, so at times it was taken over by people who were literally crazy. Well, one of them anyway. I'm sure you remember him. He called himself Chase. Bruce diagnosed him with a personality disorder, which sounds about right.
blank
packfaninbucland
13 years ago
Chase - banned for life but kept popping up under another name. Brings back memories.

There were some good guys on that forum and some of the discussion, despite being off topic, was entertaining and sometimes I miss the undermoderation. I see Bruce is over at Chatters but there's hardly anything new there. This is the best forum IMO.

Hope you're doing well. I'll try not to be a stranger.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

of course this is off topic but there are a l ot of us from the older sites on here.

back on topic- like so many other things in this world, world class is open to personal interpretation.
if Nonstop wants to have a more exact interpretation he is allowed to.
if Bucland or Greg chose to go with a broader more inclusive definition I don't see any harm in that either.
personally I don't see the team as being defined by a label. They are a team that is peaking at the right time. And I will wait until it is all done before I try to attach a description to them.
UserPostedImage
packfaninbucland
13 years ago
I'm OK with that. Let's win the next one and then we can argue about it.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.