Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Packers going to D D Grassmaster System at Lambeau

Athletic Turf News

The Lambeau Field playing surface, home field for the NFL Green Bay Packers, will undergo a makeover in the offseason that will bring the latest technology to the hallowed ground and make future in-season re-odding unnecessary.

[img_r]http://www.landscapemanagement.net/files/landscapemanagement/nodes/2006/7414/Field-view-.gif[/img_r]In a project that will take several months to complete, DD GrassMaster, a natural grass surface reinforced with man-made fibers developed by Desso DLW Sports Systems, will be installed on top of a completely new drainage and heating system. The new surface and underlying systems represent the latest developments in field management.

The new grass surface won't be entirely new for the players, though. It is identical to the surface on the team's Clarke Hinkle Field. That surface, installed prior to 2005 training camp, has garnered rave reviews from the players in its two seasons of use.

"We feel we need to have the best natural grass field possible," said Ted Thompson, the Packers' Executive Vice President and General Manager. "We're confident this will serve historic Lambeau Field well. It's grass, so that remains true to the spirit of our stadium; players will get dirty and have grass stains, that kind of thing. It's worked very well the last two seasons on Hinkle Field."

According to the Packers' field manager, Allen Johnson, the Packers have been following the evolution of the relatively new system for several years, going back to its development on European soccer fields.

[img_r]http://www.landscapemanagement.net/files/landscapemanagement/nodes/2006/7414/Tour.gif[/img_r]"We've had great success on Hinkle Field with the GrassMaster surface," said Johnson. "So we've been considering it seriously for Lambeau Field for about a year. Ted compared Lambeau Field and Hinkle Field last spring after several days of rain and it was a stark contrast. Lambeau was still soaked and wet and Hinkle was dry and firm. That final bit of first-hand experience set the wheels in motion."

DD GrassMaster's advantage mainly is attributed to the sand-based soil, which allows superior drainage and softer, more consistent footing over the current clay-based field. Because a sand-based root zone has less stability, the system employs the use of millions of strands of polyethylene and polypropylene materials eight inches below the surface with one inch exposed on the top. This gives the field firm footing and eliminates clumps of sod tearing from the surface. Furthermore, even after a full season's wear late in the year, the footing remains excellent due to the soil-strengthening strands.

In addition to the success the Packers have experienced with the surface on Clarke Hinkle Field, the team can look to the Denver Broncos, Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers for endorsement of the product as each of those clubs use the surface in their stadiums. In fact, the Packers have seen firsthand the quality footing at late-season games at the Eagles' Lincoln Financial Field each of the last three years.

[img_r]http://www.landscapemanagement.net/files/landscapemanagement/nodes/2006/7414/PICT0049.gif[/img_r]The project will commence upon the conclusion of the season and begin with removing all current levels of the field. The first layers will consist of a clay base with drain tile and irrigation piping. The second level consists of four inches of gravel with 30-plus miles of tubing for the heating system. The third level is made of 12 inches of sand and the top level consists of the sod with its reinforcing fibers.

Depending on the weather's effect on the first stages of the process, the sod will be placed in late April or early May. After the roots are firmly established, by late July, the fibers will be stitched in place.

Due to the enhanced drainage capabilities, fans at Lambeau will notice no perceptible crown on the field. A slight slope will exist, about a half-degree decline, to assist with water and snow removal when the field is covered with a tarp.

Also included in the project will be a new service path encircling the field. Gone will be the cement, replaced with a rubberized surface, similar to the one adjacent to the Hutson Center on the side of Clarke Hinkle Field. The new path still will allow for equipment use, but be safer for players that run far out of bounds.

UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago
lol. Kevin's system changed all of the D. Ds in D D Grassmaster to DD.

+ 1, NSD, for a good find and making me laugh at the same time

EDIT: Aw, cmon, change the title back. It was MUCH better reading Donald Driver Grassmaster.

It still says that in the article, but it's WAY less funny.
UserPostedImage
rabidgopher04
13 years ago
Didn't they just change to Field Turf a few years ago?
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
No, Lambeau Field has never used Field Turf.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

I was thinking the same thing until I read the story then I remembered it was the practice field. I was surprised to see it was 5 years ago. I figured it would be 2 years ago.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

lol. Kevin's system changed all of the D. Ds in D D Grassmaster to Donald Driver.

+ 1, NSD, for a good find and making me laugh at the same time

EDIT: Aw, cmon, change the title back. It was MUCH better reading Donald Driver Grassmaster.

It still says that in the article, but it's WAY less funny.

"macbob" wrote:

Thanks for explaining. I couldn't understand why Donald was showing up. I forgot about Zero's short cut.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago

"rabidgopher04" wrote:

Yeah this article is old

Packers going to Grassmaster System at Lambeau
16 Dec, 2006 Athletic Turf News
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Lambeau Field doesn't have Field Turf, which is an entirely artificial surface. The surface at Lambeau is D D Grassmaster, which is natural grass interspersed (about 3%) with artificial fibers that extend well below the surface and provide a substrate around which the turf's roots can grow. It's supposed to provide a more durable surface that's less prone to gouges and divots, thereby providing greater player comfort and safety and reducing maintenance costs.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago
But this article is over 4 years old, why post now?
hos327
13 years ago
Thanks for pointing out it's an old article. Thought I was going nuts. Been hearing for a couple years how Lambeau is one of the more technological fields in the league and thought, wtf?
Go Pack Go!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (7h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (7h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (7h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (7h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (7h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (10h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (14h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (14h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.