wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
to complement your story Zero: 

Under Ron Wolf in the 1990s, the Green Bay Packers were built for December slugfests on sloppy fields, where three-quarter-inch cleats slowed down the game and pounding the ball on the ground was vital to a team's success.

Flash forward to 2011 and the Packers are a different kind of team, built by general manager Ted Thompson to excel on the fast playing surfaces that have proliferated throughout the NFL and carpet every domed stadium.

The Packers have a pass-first, spread-the-field offense. They run the ball primarily to keep defenses honest and set up play-action. Their secondary might be the fastest in the NFL. Mike McCarthy constantly stresses tempo and coaches his teams to practice and play fast.

In short, the team functions best, particularly on offense, when there are the fewest speed bumps in terms of playing surface and weather.

"I know we play in cold weather, but this offense is kind of built for speed and we've had some success in domes because of it," said receiver Donald Driver. "I think more than anything, it's just how Ted built the team."

That's why the Packers are practically salivating at the prospect of playing Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium, where the retractable roof will be closed.

"All I can do is smile," said receiver Greg Jennings, who was doing exactly that.

The Packers are 2-2 in domed stadiums this year, but one of the losses was by four points at Ford Field in Detroit, where quarterback Aaron Rodgers left the game in the first half with a concussion. The other was a three-point loss at Atlanta; the Packers went back to the Georgia Dome seven weeks later and won by 27 in the NFC divisional round (48-21).

Green Bay totaled 860 yards in the two games in Atlanta and crushed the Minnesota Vikings, 31-3, at the Metrodome. In the four dome games, the Packers outscored their opponents, 99-51.

"I don't know if it's because we have a lot of fast guys," said receiver Jordy Nelson. "It's just in a dome, everything is perfect. The field is perfect, the weather's perfect and we play fast. And playing fast isn't just running a 4.3 or a 4.4 (40-yard dash). It's a lot of other things, too.

"We don't have to worry about our footing and we feel comfortable in there and everything just caters to the offense, especially the kind of offense we have. We feel real comfortable in domes and I think it shows."

Though the Packers are considered a cold-weather team because they play their home games at Lambeau Field, in reality only a couple games each season are played in bad weather.

When the weather does turn, the team goes inside to practice in the Don Hutson Center, which is for all practical purposes a domed environment with an artificial surface (FieldTurf). The outdoor practice fields are surfaced with DD GrassMaster, a natural turf reinforced with synthetic fibers.

In 2007, the team installed DD GrassMaster in Lambeau Field, where 20 million fibers are stitched into Kentucky bluegrass, creating a fast one-inch surface that is about as close to artificial turf as can be.

Gone are the days when Lambeau had to be re-sodded days before playoff games and the newly laid turf gave way beneath the players' feet.

So, over the last decade, the Packers have by design morphed into a team accustomed to playing and practicing on fast surfaces. Factor in the controlled environment in a dome and all the better.

"The type of offense we are, I think we can be more explosive in a dome," Nelson said. "We're explosive in cold weather, but not as explosive. On a dome surface, you're faster, quicker."

The team's productivity indoors starts with Rodgers, who grew up in northern California and played at Cal.

A few weeks ago, Rodgers was asked if he preferred playing in domes over playing at Lambeau. He playfully chastised the reporter before answering the question the only way he could: Green Bay was home, and he loved Lambeau.

But Rodgers has never made it a secret that all else being equal, he prefers to play in the sterile environment of a dome, where wind, temperature and precipitation are not factors.

"I know Aaron likes to throw the ball indoors," McCarthy said. "If it was up to him, we'd practice in the Hutson Center year-round."

As a starter, Rodgers has a 7-6 record in domes, including playoffs. He has completed 285 of 415 passes (68.7%) for 3,642 yards, with 27 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also has rushed for 269 yards and seven touchdowns.

In four dome games this year, he has completed 86 of 113 (76.1%) for 1,057 yards, with eight touchdowns and one interception. He threw for 366 yards in the playoff game in Atlanta, 344 in the first game in the Georgia Dome and 301 in the Metrodome.

The Steelers have taken notice.

"Oh, man, I go back to the days of St. Louis when they had the 'Greatest Show on Turf,'" said linebacker James Farrior. "Those guys look amazing on turf. The game I watched a lot was the Atlanta playoff game. They were outstanding. Rodgers was almost perfect that day so it's definitely going to be a little tougher defending those guys on turf."

The Packers have functioned well in domes even when Rodgers has had to go to a silent count because of crowd noise. They have been successful spreading the field with Driver, Jennings, Nelson and James Jones.

"We have four great receivers and a great quarterback," said fullback Korey Hall. "If he can get them the ball in all areas of the field, when you have five guys in an offense like that and distribute the ball like that, they're going to be tough to beat inside."

The Packers aren't slouches on grass. They beat the New York Giants and Chicago Bears in the final two regular-season games, both played in cold weather at Lambeau. In the playoffs, they beat the Philadelphia Eagles and the Bears on the road, the latter on the notoriously poor grass surface at Soldier Field.

But they clearly relish playing Super Bowl XLV indoors.

"I mean, you go from playing in Chicago in late January, to Dallas and they close you inside a dome," Jennings said. "Obviously the surface is going to be perfect. The atmosphere is going to be unmatched. It's going to be exciting."

jsonline wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Under Ron Wolf in the 1990s, the Green Bay Packers were built for December slugfests on sloppy fields, where three-quarter-inch cleats slowed down the game and pounding the ball on the ground was vital to a team's success.

Flash forward to 2011 and the Packers are a different kind of team, built by general manager Ted Thompson to excel on the fast playing surfaces that have proliferated throughout the NFL and carpet every domed stadium.

jsonline wrote:

I find it a bit ironic that the current team is built for speed. They tried that back in the 80's and after The Fridge hammered George Cumby in the endzone (along with a few other plays where the smaller, quicker GB team was manhandled by bigger, slower and stronger players) GB decided to get bigger and stronger too even if it meant giving up speed.

I am not saying that this GB team is not strong but at key positions they are definitely a quicker team than in the past.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

I don't think the roof matters. I think it's the playing surface. I think there's only two playing surfaces that are carpet on concrete now where as 15 years ago, I believe there was nearly a dozen.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I think it does matter, at least a little. Rodgers throws a better ball than just about anyone out there, so wind or any other conditions that affect passing negatively generally hurts us more than it does an inferior passing team. It evens the playing field a little, unless we are playing against another elite passing team.

"get_louder_at_lambeau" wrote:

Wind doesn't effect a quarterback's throws as much as one would think. When it his 15mph+ then it does on deeper throws that are touch throws. A guy with a rocket arm who gets low trajectory on his throws, won't effect him much.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Trent Green talking about Rodgers and domes, from JSOnline today-

Green himself played on fast turfs, especially with the St. Louis Rams, but he said Rodgers likes the dome environment more for no wind than the fast track.

Really it depends on how the team is built, said Green. Our team in St. Louis was built for the turf. Some of our teams in Washington, when I was with the Redskins, we were built for grass. We were a power running team. Terry Allen and Stephen Davis those are power running guys. But as a quarterback, youre always going to like playing inside because wind is the biggest factor. Cold, hot, rain, snow everybody wants to talk about those things. Really its wind that is the biggest factor.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115370394.html 
Fan Shout
dhazer (5h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (6h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (22h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.