Pack93z
13 years ago
MM also noted yesterday.. when we need to spread them out, we will spread them out.. and when we need to power rush.. we will power rush.

Now for the Pats Game..

1st. 5 runs - 10 points
2nd 2 runs - 0 points
3rd 8 runs - 13 points
4th 8 runs - 16 points

But lets take that just a bit deeper.. drive by drive.

1st drive - 2 runs (TD)
2nd drive - 3 runs (FG)
3rd drive - 0 runs (PUNT)
4th drive- 1 run (Punt)
5th Drive- 1 Run (Punt)
6th drive - 5 runs (TD)
7th drive - 0 runs (Punt)
8th Drive - 3 runs (TD)
9th drive - 2 runs (Punt)
10th drive - 3 runs (TD)
11th drive - 3 runs (FG)

Sure there is some skew to the drives being a bit longer thus a couple more carries.. also note the TE catch all three TD's.

Lost in the talk about pass vs run is that the Pats defense held the Steelers to 3 pts through 3 quarters and took the Steelers out of their comfort zone on offense with running the ball.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago

Sure there is some skew to the drives being a bit longer thus a couple more carries..

"Pack93z" wrote:

I would expect that there is more than just "some skew," but rather, there is enough skew to deflate your entire argument as stated in that particular post. Longer drives=more points=more plays, whether they are running plays or passing plays.

A percentage of run vs. pass on each drive would be more helpful, but even that could be misleading because on more successful drives there are more short yardage situations, hence more running plays. It's difficult to separate cause and effect here.
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

I agree zombie - Mike McCarthy seems to take his foot off the gas if he goes up early; and then just goes into 'try hard mode'. Check the bears game. We stopped them quickly by being up 14 then just did nothing past that; our D is what keeps us in the games.

Remember the giants game; we kept getting take aways is the only reason we were up so many points; the offense didnt have anything better to do then to score.

I think the atlanta game is the only one Mike McCarthy still dialed it up. I think he was too afraid of their power and thus didnt let up (which he shouldnt) ... The same intensity that he starts the game with he should end it with.

Dont care if we are up 14+ ... take it to the house and dont expect the D to always keep em in check. Granted I like our D and its ability to do that for us. I just want the D to be the icing on the cake.

Id like this superbowl to be whatever MMs play calling is on the first 2 drives they are similar throughout the whole game. With our wideouts making mincemeat out of their secondary; our RBs flying to the outside and grabbing 3-9 yards; and then some of those RB plays that net 1 yard up the middle to keep em honest (but only very few) ... Most of them I want to see the ball in the air and see their linebackers just tired and frustrated.

What other team in the NFL has a better receiver set and a QB to match it?

Steelers might have the 12th best passing D but whom did they really go against? ya they went against atlanta, NO And NE

heck they had atlanta and NE at their house ... while we played them both at theirs.

I see so many pundits talking about how this will be a close game; like you I dont see it unless Mike McCarthy makes it so. And if he doesnt then I see all hell breaking loose with the peoples tongues as they sit their gaping at greenbays score.

"Dulak" wrote:

Exactly. If a team can't stop something, just keep doing it over and over again. For example, let's just say they can't stop short slants to Jordy Nelson. Well, throw short slants to Jordy Nelson all day long.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Teams rushing against the Steelers end up running into a brick wall. Expecting different results is insanity.

Now, we will rush against the Steelers. This is what Mike McCarthy will do. He'll get the passing game going and get Troy P and the other S worried about stopping our 3rd and 4th WRs and our TE. Then Starks will get good matchups that he can exploit.

I don't know how many times I have to say this - the pass can open up the run.

Back to your comment, yes, I don't see a close game either unless Mike McCarthy gets soft. I want to see the vs Atlanta MM, not the nice guy MM.

And no other NFL team has a better 1-4 WR set than the Packers. NOBODY. I have a good feeling they'll be getting lots of work. :thumbright:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
macbob
13 years ago
Obviously, in this situation, the passing game should be favored more than normal and the running game less, but we can't abandon the run.

Same as you note about passing helping the running game, running helps the passing game, Zombie--slows down the pass rush, tires out the D, keeps the other team's O off the field. The better the running game, the more the D has to pay attention to it and the greater the impact on our passing game.

That said, if everytime we're running it we're getting 0 or less yards, then what are we accomplishing? So, my bottomline hope for the game is that we have better success running the ball against the Steelers than everyone is predicting. If so, I think our chance of winning the game will have gone up dramatically.

edit: And finally, as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article below notes, the team with the most rushing attempts has won the SB 37 out of 44 times, the fewer rushing attempts won 5 times, and twice the teams tied in rushing attempts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11036/1123348-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml 

Packers, Starks must run to win

IRVING, Texas -- Even the most casual football fan knows that Aaron Rodgers will start at quarterback in Super Bowl XLV Sunday night. By contrast, even the most ardent fans might not know who will be lining up behind Rodgers at running back.

History suggests the Packers will have to run the ball effectively to beat the Steelers, and the player charged with the task of trying to penetrate the Steelers' top-ranked rushing defense is James Starks, a rookie out of the University of Buffalo.

The NFL has transformed into a pass-happy league with offenses geared around quarterbacks and talented groups of receivers. The Packers fit that mold as Rodgers directs one of the league's best passing attacks, but coach Mike McCarthy is keenly aware that running the ball effectively will be a key component in the outcome.

"I've always said it, time and time again, run attempts and third-down production are two key statistics to an offense," McCarthy said.

McCarthy is a student of the game and must be aware of a little-known Super Bowl fact. In the previous 44 Super Bowls, the team with the most rushing attempts won the game 37 times. On five occasions, the team with the most rushing attempts have lost. (Opposing teams twice had the same number of carries in the game.)

Think of the most-prolific passing offenses in recent history. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots come to mind, but did you know that the Patriots had more rushing attempts than their opponent in each of their three Super Bowl victories? In the one Super Bowl the Patriots lost under Brady, the New York Giants had 26 rushing attempts compared to 16 for the Patriots.

The 1994 San Francisco 49ers creamed the San Diego Chargers, 49-26, in Super Bowl XXIX. Steve Young and Jerry Rice dominated the game, but the 49ers also rushed the ball 32 times to 19 for the Chargers.

This is not to suggest that the Packers have to run the ball early and often against the Steelers. But, at some point, the Packers are going to have to run the ball effectively if they want to win.

Starks figures to get most of those carries. The Packers lost starter Ryan Grant for the season in Week 1, and a host of others filled in as the featured running back the remainder of the season.

Starks is one of them, but he does not have much experience after dressing for two regular-season games once he overcome a hamstring injury.

In those game, he rushed for 93 yards. It was not until the playoffs that Starks became more effective. He rushed for 123 yards in a wild-card victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, the highest rushing total for a rookie in franchise history. He rushed for 66 yards in a divisional-round victory against the Atlanta Falcons and 74 yards and a touchdown in the NFC championship victory against the Chicago Bears.

"He's earned his opportunities," McCarthy said. "We're very pleased with the way he has matured and taken full advantage of his opportunity. He will be a factor in Sunday's game."

Starks rushed for more than 3,000 yards in his college career at Buffalo, but he missed his senior season with a shoulder injury and was not on the NFL general managers' short list last draft day. The Packers waited until the sixth round to take him.

"Everybody doubts you, and they don't know what you're capable of," Starks said. "So, when you get an opportunity to go out there and be successful and prove everybody wrong ... I just get a thrill out of that."

Starks will face a Steelers defense that allowed the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets to rush for 35 and 70 yards in the first two playoff games. Despite the stinginess of the Steelers defense, the Packers do not plan on abandoning their running game. In each of their three playoff victories, they had more rushing attempts than their opponent.

"I think a team would play into the hands of the opposition if you throw every down," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "Your quarterback will be in one spot, and you would be asking your offensive linemen to block all day against every blitz and every defensive-line game. I don't know that you can do that."

The plan is to lean on Starks and other running backs to keep the Steelers honest.

"I think as an offensive lineman you want to believe you can run the ball on anybody," Packers guard Daryn Colledge said. "The word is the stats don't lie, and we know we're probably not going to go out there and break off 200 yards rushing, but we have to find a way to run the ball a little bit.

"It's part of what we do on offense. It's part of what sets up your play action and your fakes, so we've got to be able to threaten them with the run. I think when you play the best defense in the NFL, you get a little bit of a chip on your shoulder and you say, 'All right, let's go out and face them.' If we can get something done then, maybe we can say we were a little bit better than you were today."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
6andcounting
13 years ago
Spreading out the Steelers' defense is my biggest fear. I do think Green Bay will have to attempt to run to keep the Steelers' D honest. Pittsburgh will need to take some chances and play closer to the LOS to slow down the quick passes and hope the pass rush can get to Rodgers before he can go over the top. Lebeau could also follow the Atlanta game's blueprint where he allowed them to throw at will to Roddy White (20 catches) without causing much damage. However, the risk in that is the Packers WR corp is deeper than Atlanta's. So Rodgers will have many more options in the short game than Ryan had.

It'll be interesting to watch the chess match for both teams on both sides of the ball. This could go down as one of the better superbowls of all time.

Enjoy the game!
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Obviously, in this situation, the passing game should be favored more than normal and the running game less, but we can't abandon the run.

Same as you note about passing helping the running game, running helps the passing game, Zombie--slows down the pass rush, tires out the D, keeps the other team's O off the field. The better the running game, the more the D has to pay attention to it and the greater the impact on our passing game.

That said, if everytime we're running it we're getting 0 or less yards, then what are we accomplishing? So, my bottomline hope for the game is that we have better success running the ball against the Steelers than everyone is predicting. If so, I think our chance of winning the game will have gone up dramatically.

"macbob" wrote:

Yes, but this is the Steelers. They were #1 against the run, #12 against the pass. Hey, I'd LOVE for Starks to get 200 yards against them. I'd also love for that girl who just moved in the apartment below me and 2 doors down to come over and take her top off.

We have to be realistic here. To teams who can't stop the run, let the run open up the pass. To the Steelers, we're going to have to let the pass open up the run.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Team Statistics 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	Green Bay Packers
First Downs 	19 	15
Total Yards 	387 	338
Turnovers 	3 	0
Time of Possession 	33:25 	26:35
First Downs 	19 	15
Passing 	11 	11
Rushing 	8 	4
Penalty 	0 	0
Third Down Efficiency 	7-13 	6-13
Fourth Down Efficiency 	0-1 	0-0
Total Net Yards 	387 	338
Total Plays 	64 	55
Average Gain Per Play 	6.0 	6.1
Net Yards Rushing 	126 	50
Rushes 	23 	13
Average Per Rush 	5.5 	3.8
Net Yards Passing 	261 	288
Completions-Attempts 	25-40 	24-39
Yards Per Pass Play 	6.4 	6.9
Times Sacked 	1 	3
Yards Lost to Sacks 	2 	16
Had Intercepted 	2 	0
Punts 	3 	6
Average Punt 	51.0 	40.5
Penalties 	6 	7
Penalty Yards 	55 	67
Fumbles 	1 	1
Fumbles Lost 	1 	0
Time of Possession 	33:25 	26:35

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I guess statistics are for losers. Pitt had better stats in almost category except turnovers and passing yards.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Well, I had a talk with Mike McCarthy before the game. Told him - screw the run. Just put the game in Aaron's hands and we'll win it easily.

Would have been much nicer if we didn't drop 2 TDs though (Jones dropped one and Jordy dropped the other). I wanted a blowout, not a close game.

Next year, we'll be better. Grant adds more headaches for defenses as he can at any time get a 20+ yard run. And Finley catches everything. We didn't use our TEs at all.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
To be fair, both Quarless and Crabtree had at least one catch tonight.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (13h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (13h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (13h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (14h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (16h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (21h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (21h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: β€œGot in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.