Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110203/PKR01/302050009/RB-Starks-seen-as-crucial-component-to-Sunday-s-game 

IRVING, Texas James Starks was compared to Forrest Gump on Thursday. It was meant as a compliment.

A legitimate run game has emerged for the Green Bay Packers after it was often nonexistent early this season. The rookie Starks is a large part of that.

He just runs hard, guard Josh Sitton said. I think hes just young and runs like he doesnt know where hes going.

Just run, like Forrest Gump. Just run, man.

Starks currently leads the league with 263 postseason rushing yards. He started 2010 on the physically unable to perform list and wasnt activated until Week 13 against San Francisco. Starks has rushed for 123, 66 and 74 yards in three playoff games and received a minimum of 22 attempts in each game. A Packers ball-carrier reached 20 attempts just once during the regular season as Brandon Jackson had 22 against the Patriots in Week 15.

Starks has been decisive with his cuts and has a knack of falling forward when tackled. But its the rushes that are more important than yards to coach Mike McCarthy.

Run attempts and third-down production are the two key statistics to an offense, McCarthy said, because when you want to be a tempo offense and youre operating in the realm of 70-plus plays a game, those are two important statistics that are tied together.

The concept is fairly simple. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is the focal point of this offense and hes not running draws and sweeps. The Packers are pass-based offense that needs the threat of the run to force defenses from strictly playing the pass.

The team had 30-plus rushes just once in the first eight games when the team went 5-3. It has eight since and an 8-3 record including the playoffs.

Obviously wed like to be averaging 4.5-5 yards a carry, offensive line coach James Campen said. Sometimes its not going to work out that way. But its the attempts, converting when you do run the ball and winning that down. Whether its third-and-2, third-and-1 or second-and-2, weve been doing much better than that.

Were converting the down and continuing drives.

Campen explained that there has been better communication between the backs and linemen recently. Those conversations give the backs a better understanding of what the linemen see and their intentions.

Theres also the continuity of having Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Sitton and Bryan Bulaga starting together for 15 consecutive weeks.

Just the maturity and everybodys kind of growing up and getting in their positions, Colledge said. I think as an offensive line, were peaking at the right time. We may not have had it every time we needed it but weve had it enough to do what we do on offense.

Right now its doing well and we need it; were facing the number one defense in the NFL, so we need to find a way to run the ball a little bit.

Jackson, though, took some issue with the notion that the run game was dormant for an extended stretch. He moved into the starting lineup when Ryan Grant was lost for the season in Week 1, but never put up consistent numbers.

Jackson, who is a serious threat in the short passing game, said its not just about hand-offs.

When you talk about the run game, you have to factor in the screen game, the dump-off passes, Jackson said. We can win games with a limited amount of carries. Thats how its been all year."

The Steelers have talked all week about getting bodies on Rodgers, but they wont get away from their core values. This is a run-eliminating unit that set a team record as it allowed just 62.8 yards a game. That mark ranks No. 3 in NFL history since the merger in 1970 behind the 2000 Ravens (60.6 yards) and 2006 Vikings (61.6).

We know theyre going to try to run the ball, linebacker James Farrior said. I dont think they can throw the ball every play.

So, were definitely going to have to be prepared to stop the run. But we know sometimes the run really sets up the play-action pass and we have to be aware of that.

And thats the crux of the Packers offense. Rodgers is an excellent play-action quarterback and loves to see his receivers in one-on-one situations. He only needs a split-second of hesitation by a safety or running back to get the look he wants.

So, its run, Forrest, run.

"Kareem Copeland" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

The team had 30-plus rushes just once in the first eight games when the team went 5-3. It has eight since and an 8-3 record including the playoffs.

Just a little more proof that there's no correlation to running the ball and getting wins.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
13 years ago
Just keep running the damn ball Mike, don't give up on it.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I hope he gets 30 carries with a 3.5 avg.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
13 years ago
Regardless of how successful the run game is against Pittsburgh, it is still crucial to make attempts to keep their D honest. If we don't run the ball, we lose!
Dulak
13 years ago
I think some of those stats can be misleading - we obviously see when we are winning by a large margin Mike McCarthy switch to a 'eat the clock' run mentality. Not a win and stuff it down their throat mentality ...

I am glad that we have starks he seems to be quite a good runner; seems like grant finds the holes better but gets taken down quite easily; starks just goes for a hole and usually ends up getting a few more yards with his push forward mentality.

I do agree with jackson thou the screens and short passes can wreck havoc on a 3-4 D.
Like to see how the steelers handle that.
millertime
13 years ago
We definitely have some intriguing options in the backfield for next season.

RB: Grant, Starks
Power back: Kuhn
3rd down back: Jackson (or draft pick if we don't resign him)

I was thinking that we would definitely need to draft a RB high in draft. Because of the emergence of Starks, we might be able to wait a couple rounds and go with a need based pick (interior o-line, pass rushers)
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Just keep running the damn ball Mike, don't give up on it.

"yooperfan" wrote:

I believe the article states that the only once during the regular season did a RB have 20+ carries and in three playoff games James Starks has over 20+ carries.

I get the point of your comment, I just think it's not necessary. And that's more of a HOPE, than anything, lol.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Regardless of how successful the run game is against Pittsburgh, it is still crucial to make attempts to keep their D honest. If we don't run the ball, we lose!

"hardrocker950" wrote:

Yeah, the Super Bowl rules explicitly say that if you don't get 20+ rushing attempts, you have to forfeit the game, no matter what the score says.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yeah, the Super Bowl rules explicitly say that if you don't get 20+ rushing attempts, you have to forfeit the game, no matter what the score says.

"hardrocker950" wrote:

I think he's saying if we go 'all pass' we will get our ass beat because the Steelers will pin their ears back an blitz like crazy.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.