Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Woodson, Packers grow on each other 

IRVING, Texas

Charles Woodson didnt want to love Green Bay. Quite the opposite; he wanted to stay as far away from it as possible.

Four seasons ago, as a 31-year-old black NFL free agent with an admittedly sketchy reputation from his days with the renegade Oakland Raiders, the last place Woodson wanted to entrust his professional football career was the leagues smallest market.

More specifically, a city with a black population of only 1.4 percent and where 85.9 percent of residents are white, according to the 2000 U.S. Census. [img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0102/nfl_g_woodson11_576.jpg[/img_r]

Id never really been to Green Bay, Woodson admits, and all I ever heard from people who played there was, You wont want to play there. I just heard it was no place for a black man. No nightlife, nothing to do, and thats what I kept thinking about.

Now, as a 34-year-old respected veteran and a cornerstone of the NFC Champion Packers, Woodson clearly has done an about-face. He beams with pride when he talks about leading Green Bay into Super Bowl XLV on Sunday (FOX pregame at 2 p.m. ET, kickoff at 6:29 p.m. ET) against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Cowboys Stadium.

The clubs, the cops, the petulance he often carried into work every day, it's all gone. Hes a husband and father of two.

Green Bay, a town he once scorned and feared, embraced Woodson, and he has returned the favor.

Im a family man now, says Woodson, who has settled down with his wife, April, and two sons, Charles Jr., 2, and Chase, born last October. I love my life. I love it there.

Bet you never thought youd hear me say that, huh?

Four years ago? No way. Eager to leave the Raiders after eight tumultuous seasons in anything-goes Oakland, Woodson yearned for the phone to ring from Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. He waited. Nothing.

Woodson, the 1997 Heisman Trophy winner, was one of the NFLs best cover cornerbacks. But he also came with some dings.

I had a bad rap. I was a little bit of a wild child. I enjoyed myself as a young man. I guess they were tired of that, says Woodson, who enjoyed the clubs and the women, and was arrested and jailed briefly in 2004 after a rowdy night in downtown Oakland that ended with him drunk in the back of a womans car at 4:20 a.m. one block from a police substation.

Nobody wanted to take a shot at me, he admits. There was talk about my game declining and not being the player that I was and that I had lost a step. All of that came into play when it came to finding another team."

Only one team kept calling. And calling.

We called a bunch of other teams and every team we tried to contact either wasnt interested or said they didnt need a corner, Woodson recalls. For some reason Green Bay kept calling (my agent). I kept trying to blow it off, blow it off. Finally, I took a visit.

Over time, as he sought the friendship of veteran black Packers players such as Al Harris and as he took advantage of the Packers extensive community relations programs, Woodson found a comfort level in Wisconsin that he never would have imagined.

Wide receiver Greg Jennings experienced a similar surreal introduction to the city and franchise that drafted him in the second round out of Western Michigan in 2006.

The day of the draft, the No. 1 thing I said to my friend we were coming out the same year and I told him, The one place I DO not want to end up is Green Bay,' Jennings, 27, remembers with a huge laugh. But God had a different plan. And its been great. The fans have been outstanding.

But that first day . . .

When I first got off the plane, it was almost like getting off the plane in the middle of nowhere, Jennings recalls. I think I went to Wal-Mart and I interacted with someone. And it was evident to me right away that it was a genuine sense of feeling welcome. The social life there, they really adapt to their players, they love their players and its genuine.

I mean, you do stick out like a sore thumb. But at the same time, they allow you to be comfortable. They dont really harass you.

Black players, coaches and team employees who have been involved with the Packers over the years have long spoken about the sense of feeling typecast as footballers in a town where fewer than 100 businesses are owned by black people, according to census figures.

These stories made Green Bay sound like a no mans land to Woodson, which is why he ignored those phone calls from general manager Ted Thompson for so long.

Thats what I had heard, you know, from other people, and a lot of times you believe what people say before ever investigating the situation itself, Woodson says. That was part of the reason I didnt want to go there.

But it took me going to Green Bay, playing there for a few years, to really appreciate the city of Green Bay, the state of Wisconsin and the Green Bay Packers.

The team works hard to make all of its employees, particularly those of color, feel comfortable and at home, Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy says.

We have a player development program, and thats been helpful. But the area that probably where we do the most is family programs, for the players and their families to feel welcome in the community, Murphy explains. And its a very welcoming community in general, and I think players particularly with young children and families like the idea of being in a smaller town.

I think a lot of players across the NFL are from smaller towns, a lot of time from the South. And they feel very comfortable in a small town like Green Bay.

Can a Green Bay Packer shop at the local Woodmans Food Market and not be hassled for autographs?

For the most part, yeah, Jennings says. I think that comes over time. With a guy like Charles, with a guy like myself, especially offensive guys and defensive guys at the skill positions, you are kind of pulled at a little bit more. But that just comes with the territory. That would happen anywhere.

For Woodson, the self-proclaimed wild child, it was the captivating charm of Green Bay the NFLs tiniest city glorified by the legends of Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr and the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field that eventually won him over.

The bucolic streets, the friendly neighbors, the quiet nights, the structured and successful Packers football operation . . . all of it worked to calm his restless soul.

"Charles is a very respected player on this team, quarterback Aaron Rodgers says. Every time there has been a vote for captains or player council, he always wins. Anytime he speaks, I think he's starting to realize he has a lot of respect in the locker room and guys listen to him. They appreciate what he has to say."

It hasnt always been easy, Woodson concedes.

Both myself and the community were apprehensive at first. They didn't know what they were getting from Oakland. All they knew were the things they heard about me as a person and a player, says Woodson, the 2009 NFL defensive player of the year who was just elected to his seventh Pro Bowl. It took both parties some time to get used to each other.

"They watched the way I played, and they fell in love with me. And at that point, we both grew on each other.

Hes glad he picked up that phone four years ago when Green Bay persisted. And so are the Packers.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Surprised to read what Jennings said.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

Surprised to read what Jennings said.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

He did grow up a Lions fan. That may have played a part in it.
Born and bred a cheesehead
RaiderPride
13 years ago
I swear I red this exact article two years ago.

I wonder if who ever wrote this re hashed it, or if it was plagerized by another Journalist?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Kingkoopa
13 years ago

I wonder if who ever wrote this re hashed it, or if it was plagerized by another Journalist?

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Variations of this subject have been written many times. It's a story that has been beaten to death since the 2007 NFCCG where Woodson first admitted publicly he didn't originally want to play in GB.

This is the first time I've heard Jennings say he didn't want to play here though.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

"Kingkoopa" wrote:

Variations of this subject have been written many times. It's a story that has been beaten to death since the 2007 NFCCG where Woodson first admitted publicly he didn't originally want to play in GB.

This is the first time I've heard Jennings say he didn't want to play here though.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Hence why I posted it.. I found it interesting that other high profile current Packers weren't really interested in coming here.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (10h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.