Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110207/PKR07/110207133/Mike-Vandermause-column-McCarthy-plans-to-stick-with-Packers 

Less than a month after winning his final championship with the Green Bay Packers, Vince Lombardi stepped down as head coach.

Less than two years after guiding the Packers to a Super Bowl championship, Mike Holmgren departed for a job with the Seattle Seahawks.

In light of that team coaching history, there was good news for the Packers on Monday, the day after they captured the Lombardi Trophy by defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 in Super Bowl XLV.

Coach Mike McCarthy, who matched Holmgren by leading the Packers to a championship in his fifth season, said he isnt going anywhere.

I would hope this is my last job, said McCarthy during the traditional Monday morning Super Bowl post-game press conference with the victorious head coach. Im a builder and we have built something special. This program was built the right way, has quality people in Aaron Rodgers and all the way through that are going to lead this football team for a long time. So I would definitely hope this is my last job.

McCarthy looked a little tired after a long night of celebrating the Packers first championship in 14 years, but he couldnt hide a contented smile.

McCarthy clearly was the NFLs best coach this season. He led a team that was saddled with injuries to the mountaintop. Along the way he instilled confidence, refused to accept excuses, demanded accountability and never stopped trusting his players and their ability.

Mike doesnt like to hear this, but he is a players coach, said Rodgers on Monday at the Super Bowl MVP press conference. He thinks theres a negative connotation there. To me it means he allows for input from his guys on a number of different levels and obviously he has final say, but he allows his staff to coach, he allows the players to have input.

General Manager Ted Thompson saw something special in McCarthy, who was a relatively unknown assistant coach five years ago when he was hired.

I liked him as a person, said Thompson in the Packers victorious locker room at Cowboys Stadium Sunday night. I thought he had a lot of grit.

I wasnt hiring an Xs and Os guy. There are a lot of people who can do that. I was hiring the man. I think hes a good man. To be in a position like that, you have to know what buttons to push with different players. You have to understand people well. I thought all along hed be good at that and he has been.

McCarthy joins an elite group of NFL head coaches with Super Bowl championships on their resume.

Sometimes success like that can change a persons ambitions. Holmgren, for example, wanted to add player personnel decisions to his coaching duties, which led him to Seattle.

Former Packers President Bob Harlan doesnt think McCarthy is wired that way. He believes the professional bond between Thompson and McCarthy could keep the Packers power structure intact for the foreseeable future.

I think they work very well together, said Harlan. The key is to have a great working relationship. We lost that the one year (former coach) Mike Sherman was here, the one year under Ted. But Ted got his own man.

McCarthy was asked whether he slept with the Lombardi Trophy Sunday night, as previous Super Bowl winning coaches Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin had done.

My wife is too good looking not to sleep with her, replied McCarthy. I didnt sleep with the trophy.

Beyond the humor, his words could be interpreted to mean he wont allow success to undermine his core values or change who he is as a person.

That no doubt is something Thompson noticed when he hired McCarthy.

Hes an honest man, said Thompson. One thing you have to be with players is you have to be honest. You never lie to them or its over, youre done. I know that from being a player. Mikes very honest.

"Sometimes it doesnt necessarily make him feel good, if theyve had a bad practice or somethings amiss. But he stays on top of things and his staff does a good job and hes a good coach.

Best of all for the Packers, he plans to stick around and continue doing his job.

"Mike Vandermause" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
I think the hype of being a coach and GM has passed, see that more often than not, it burns out the person and it isn't something that is very effective.

So.. if he holds true to the notion that he is a coach.. it is what he loves.. then where else in the league would you like to coach.

Here.. if you do your job well.. you will be a iconic figure like no other.. you own the city and are beloved by the fan base.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
This surely falls into some cliche thing or whatever, but ...

I think we have our pieces in their best positions among these three.

Ted as GM
Mike as HC
Dom as DC

I think they know their roles and excel in them. I don't see Dom leaving, because of his age and he's tried HC twice and failed.

Guess I'm confuddling words here, basically, I think Ted would rather go down as a great GM than try being a President.
I think Mike would rather go down as a great HC, than a GM.
And I think Dom wants to continue excelling as a DC rather than trying HC again.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago

This surely falls into some cliche thing or whatever, but ...

I think we have our pieces in their best positions among these three.

Ted as GM
Mike as HC
Dom as DC

I think they know their roles and excel in them. I don't see Dom leaving, because of his age and he's tried HC twice and failed.

Guess I'm confuddling words here, basically, I think Ted would rather go down as a great GM than try being a President.
I think Mike would rather go down as a great HC, than a GM.
And I think Dom wants to continue excelling as a DC rather than trying HC again.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I hope you're right because they certainly work well together and we have the potential to build a dynasty here.
Born and bred a cheesehead
gbpfan
13 years ago
Threw the years when people wanted them gone, I asked why because they don't take free agents,and they get people out of the draft,yea some didn't turn out then when they took A-rod I said that was a smart move because Brett wasn't always going to be here so we have quality in the important rolls in a H.C D.C and G.M and a great team.
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I hope he stays for many years to come. To all the haters: WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY NOW??
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

To all the haters:

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Do you really have to use such hyperbolic, divisive language, especially right after one of the greatest accomplishments in team history? I don't think there are any actual Mike McCarthy "haters" on this (okay, except for IronMan, maybe, considering he said he was "still a McCarthy hater" after the Super Bowl 😉 ). I've said plenty of times he gets on my nerves, but I don't want him gone. Disagreeing with the man doesn't make me a hater, and I don't consider anyone else here a hater either.

My wife is too good looking not to sleep with her, replied McCarthy. I didnt sleep with the trophy.

They were talking about this on one of the Green Bay TV stations today. It made me laugh.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

To all the haters:

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Do you really have to use such hyperbolic, divisive language, especially right after one of the greatest accomplishments in team history? I don't think there are any actual Mike McCarthy "haters" on this (okay, except for IronMan, maybe, considering he said he was "still a McCarthy hater" after the Super Bowl 😉 ). I've said plenty of times he gets on my nerves, but I don't want him gone. Disagreeing with the man doesn't make me a hater, and I don't consider anyone else here a hater either.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I could definitely name at least one hater. But I'm not going to unless you ask me to.

I didn't say you were a hater....btw.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I think it is human nature for highly motivated people to expand their borders. Mike is satisfied being a HC at this time but what about 3-4 years from now? He is going to want to have new challenges. One day he will want to handle GM duties. Ted will want to try something new too.
Things change sooner or later.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

I think it is human nature for highly motivated people to expand their borders. Mike is satisfied being a HC at this time but what about 3-4 years from now? He is going to want to have new challenges. One day he will want to handle GM duties. Ted will want to try something new too.
Things change sooner or later.

"wpr" wrote:

Yea I mean we all know Bill Cowher, Chuck Noll, Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, etc., wanted to be GM's.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.