dhazer
13 years ago

I couldn't even read this shit.

Green Bay Packers are just won the championship

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Now...I know you don't need to be able to dissect Finnegan's Wake in order to become a sports journalist...but can we please not use our fucking iPhones to write news stories? FFS.

forgot the next sentence lol

And net year's edition probably won't look much different, considering the club's free agent future.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Nelson had at least as many drops as Jones had this year, did he not?

Jones' drops have been frustrating, I admit. But IMO he's a lot better than Nelson.

Look at the plays that Jones has had some of those drops -- would Nelson have even been in a position to make those plays? Its frustrating when he drops those perfectly thrown passes, but many of them (like the one in the SuperBowl) only were perfectly thrown because he had the moves to get open in the first place. I'd rather be frustrated by a guy who gets open enough to drop the occasional deep sideline pass over a DB's outstretched hands than the guy who drops slant and outs in front of said DB.

I want both Nelson and Jones back, but if the team has to go without one or the other, IMO, Nelson is a smaller loss.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
djcubez
13 years ago
Here's a list of our free agents from earlier this season:

A.J. Hawk**      LB      26      4      $4,123,750
Cullen Jenkins**     DE     29     6     3,200,000
Tyrone Williams**     CB     27     3     3,043,000
Daryn Colledge**     G     28     4     1,759,000
Jason Spitz     C-G     27     4     1,759,000
Atari Bigby     S     28     4     1,699,500
Will Blackmon     S     25     4     1,176,000
John Kuhn     FB     27     4     1,176,000
Mason Crosby     K     25     3     1,101,000
James Jones     WR     26     3     1,101,000
Charlie Peprah     S     27     4     630,000
Allen Barbre     T-G     26     3     550,000
Desmond Bishop     LB     26     3     550,000
Korey Hall**     FB     27     3     550,000
Brandon Jackson     RB     24     3     550,000

It's funny to me that he put "Tyrone" instead of "Tramon" Williams. This list is lacking Sam Shields and a few other mid-season acquisitions.

I've been thinking about the impending free agents almost all of yesterday because I really want to keep a lot of players.

The WR situation is going to be interesting. I've heard conflicting reports about Driver retiring--the guy said he wanted to play until he's 40 but now that he's won a Super Bowl guys like Peter King are saying he might call it a career. Now if we lose Driver were left with only Jennings and Jordy on our roster with Swain and Jones as FA's (although Swain is an exclusive-rights FA).

In my opinion, regardless of what happens to Driver, we keep Jones unless he doesn't want to stay. Jones dropped his way out of a big contract on the free agent market. If he had caught those easy touchdowns (he had like 4-5 this year at the least) he may have found it easy to bolt to another team for the big bucks. But I don't think there are many teams willing to pay for his inconsistency. Because of that I think we'll be able to offer Jones around what he'd get on the FA market so unless Jones wants to leave or we don't want him anymore I think we keep him.

Swain is a different story. The guy is great for our special teams and has been fifth on the depth chart. He won't break the bank so we'll probably keep him around to battle it out in training camp another year.

I also don't understand all the anti-Jackson sentiment on the board. If Grant comes back healthy we have a legitimate tandem with him in Starks. Jackson won't command a lot of money on the open market because his best assets are as a third-down back. In our offense, especially with how pass-happy we've been, a reliable third-down back is almost as important as a straight running back. Jackson knows the offense, has a knack for picking up the blitz and is extremely efficient on screens and underneath passing routes. I don't know why we wouldn't keep him, especially because not a lot of teams will want to pay for him. Grant, Starks, and Jackson sounds like a great depth chart at RB.

However, if we keep three RB's one of our FB's has got to go. What's interesting is that Kuhn and Hall's contracts are both up but Johnson's isn't. If I were to guess a FB that would be cut it would probably be Johnson, even though I love the guy. He just doesn't fit our offense very well--he'd be amazing in a power running scheme but we rarely utilize that if at all in our system. Plus, Kuhn's versatility and Hall's abilities on special teams will definitely factor in here. I count on only having two FB's on the roster this season.

The mention of locking up Tramon Williams was huge but they failed to mention what happened with Bishop. Now that Desmond is here to stay we have an interesting situation on our hands. Barnett has been on IR for the majority of the last two seasons. Two of our other ILB's just signed 4-year deals in the last two years (Chillar and Bishop). Hawk's salary jumps from 3.5 million to 10 million this season and with the leadership he's shown I can't see how he doesn't get his deal restructured. So what does this mean for Barnett? Is he going to get cut? Traded? Do we try switching one of our ILB's to the outside? This is by far the most interesting contract situation in my mind.

Jenkins is the toughest nut to crack here. He's the only free agent we have that will have a steep asking price. Add that to the fact that he's just turning 30 and you have a guy that's going to be getting the last contract of his career. He wants that financial stability. I would love to keep him--whenever him on Matthews are on the field at the same time it's hard not to notice how much more effective our pass rush is--but I just don't know if it's in the cards. If we keep Green we'll have Neal, Green, Raji, Pickett, Wilson and Wynn on the d-line. It will be much weaker without Jenkins and I trust that Ted Thompson will do everything in his power to get a deal done but I just don't see Ted Thompson matching Jenkins probable asking price.

Our guard situation is also a bit interesting. Spitz and Colledge are both up for free agency and our line isn't getting any stronger or younger. Because of Spitz' injuries I can see him getting a training camp contract if he wants to compete for the job again this summer. For Colledge it's a bit tougher. He seemed a bit miffed when we made him sign his tender last year so I think he may not even want to stay here. Offensive lineman are always a hot commodity so I expect someone to overpay for Colledge if he gets to free agency. I really don't see us keeping him.

And what about Atari? Well, we've had Collins and Peprah play solidly this last year (Peprah is a free agent too) and we'll be getting Morgan Burnett and Anthony Smith back from injury. Bigby has also struggled with injuries in the past and, like Colledge, he was forced to sign his tender last year. I feel we'll let him explore the market and sign with another team if he chooses too. I don't think we'll be actively trying to keep him but if he falls back into another Green Bay training camp I wouldn't be surprised.

Last but not least Aaron Rodgers guitar partner and long snapper extraordinaire Brett Goode will probably be re-signed.
djcubez
13 years ago

Nelson had at least as many drops as Jones had this year, did he not?

Jones' drops have been frustrating, I admit. But IMO he's a lot better than Nelson.

Look at the plays that Jones has had some of those drops -- would Nelson have even been in a position to make those plays? Its frustrating when he drops those perfectly thrown passes, but many of them (like the one in the SuperBowl) only were perfectly thrown because he had the moves to get open in the first place. I'd rather be frustrated by a guy who gets open enough to drop the occasional deep sideline pass over a DB's outstretched hands than the guy who drops slant and outs in front of said DB.

I want both Nelson and Jones back, but if the team has to go without one or the other, IMO, Nelson is a smaller loss.

"Wade" wrote:

Despite the fact that Jordy and Jones may have the same amount of drops (I don't know offhand) Jones' drops have been much bigger. The majority of the drops that I can remember Jones having were all on the exact same play. Jones beats his man on an outside fade route and the safety gets sucked in to the middle of the field leaving a lot of space in front of Jones. The ball is perfectly floated right into his fingertips but he struggles to hang onto an almost surefire touchdown. However, I believe the only reason Rodgers throws these balls is he has complete confidence in Jones catching them. That in turn tells me that Jones must make all these catches in practice but fails for some reason in games. I'd love to keep Jones because with his talent level in our offense the ceiling is set at pro bowl or super star. But he first needs to stop dropping touchdowns.
Greg C.
13 years ago
Yes, Jordy dropped about as many passes as Jones. But Jones is a free agent this year and Jordy is not. That's why some of us are talking about maybe letting Jones walk. If both players were going into free agency, this would be a different discussion.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It's interesting to contemplate how Rodgers' stat line might have looked had it not been for all the wide receiver and tight end miscues this year. I have too much free time on my hands for the next few weeks, so I'd like to go back through the entire season's footage to examine this question. My conservative estimate: 4500 yards, 35 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

It's interesting to contemplate how Rodgers' stat line might have looked had it not been for all the wide receiver and tight end miscues this year. I have too much free time on my hands for the next few weeks, so I'd like to go back through the entire season's footage to examine this question. My conservative estimate: 4500 yards, 35 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Just make sure to do the same thing for every other QB so we can put the new stat line into its proper context.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Heh, if someone can provide me with footage to do that, it would be an interesting project.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

Just make sure to do the same thing for every other QB so we can put the new stat line into its proper context.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Jon Kitna would be happy.
Jacob
13 years ago

Bleacher Report 

Green Bay Packers Free Agency Shouldn't Disrupt Chemistry
By
Adam Lazarus
(Featured Columnist) on February 7, 2011

Green Bay Packers are just won the championship of the 2010 NFL season. And net year's edition probably won't look much different, considering the club's free agent future.

Because they Packers locked up emerging star cornerback Tramon Williams last November, the Packers only have two essential pieces to worry about re-signing this spring.

Defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins is a free agent and could leave town, but the Packers started their Super Bowl run while Jenkins was sidelined with an injury, so even if he does bolt via free agency, they should be able to replace him.

Running back Brandon Jackson and wide receiver James Jones are also free agent's but solid players are already in place to fill those spots.

James Starks stepped up at running back and Ryan Grant will be healthy next year, and the Packers might be the deepest team in the NFL when it comes to the wide receiver position.

The only main position that should concern the Packers this offseason is safety, where both Charles Peprah and Atari Bigby are free agents.

"millertime" wrote:

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (14h) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (15h) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.