zombieslayer
13 years ago
Heh. Could you imagine using "the ILB swatted at it" as an excuse?

Coach - Why didn't you catch that ball?

Player - The ILB swatted at it.

Coach - (too obscene to print)
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
13 years ago

Heh. Could you imagine using "the ILB swatted at it" as an excuse?

Coach - Why didn't you catch that ball?

Player - The ILB swatted at it.

Coach - (too obscene to print)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Not saying none of these should be caught. They all should be caught. HOWEVER, if you want to increase the probablity of completing a pass, it stands to reason that higher percentage plays would be more likely to be successful.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
mi_keys
13 years ago

This is one where Jones is just breaking away. I wouldn't say this is a low percentage play, it's mid-range. But I agree, being that Jones is almost always along the sidelines, the ball has to travel that much farther.

So now 10 yards is too far to throw the ball AND the sideline is too far to throw. You're leaving a very small window of the field to work with. I guess everyone should line up in the slot and run a 5 yard slant. Is that a high enough percentage play?
Born and bred a cheesehead
Greg C.
13 years ago
I still say that scoring 24 points against the best defense in the league, which had given up an average of 15 per game during the season, is a very nice day's work for an offense.

Pack93z and macbob have mentioned the three turnovers by our defense as a reason that we should've won by more. That kind of misses the point, because this discussion is about offensive production, not margin of victory. Perhaps there needs to be a discussion about why our defense gave up 25 points in spite of the fact that it forced three turnovers. But that's not going to happen, because everybody loves our defense. And we ought to. Our defense got the job done--as did our offense.

Anyway, when I put the emphasis on the 24 points scored by our offense, I am throwing out one of the turnovers, which was a pick six. That one had nothing to do with the offense's performance. The other two turnovers both happened near midfield. The Packers got good field position off those turnovers, but there was still a lot of work to do. And yes, they got the job done.

I'm not on board with Zombie's "in your face!" tone throughout this thread, but I do think that basically he is right. The pass-happy attack worked. And I don't think it matters that Rodgers had run-pass options on a lot of plays. A pass is a pass. McCarthy would not have allowed those options for Rodgers if he thought the Packers absolutely needed to run the ball more.

I am fully in agreement with Pack93z, macbob, and others that an improved running game would be a big help for this team. I would like to see that next season. But the Packers are further proof that you can, in fact, win a championship with a very pass-oriented attack. The Patriots and Colts have done it too.

McCarthy did what was best with the players he had to work with: phenomenal QB, excellent receiving corps, so-so pass blocking O-line, pretty good RB, and lousy run-blocking O-line. I'm sure the Steelers are still having nightmares about what Rodgers, Nelson, Jennings, et al. did to them, and I'm guessing they would've been more than happy if the Packers had run the ball more than they did. With all due respect to James Starks, I don't think they were scared of him.

Late in the season, McCarthy was smart to do what Pack93z was suggesting and put more emphasis on the running game, but the running game had probably taken them about as far as it was going to take them. Against the #1 run defense in the league and a shaky secondary, I think McCarthy's play-calling mix was just about perfect, and Starks' 4.7 yards per carry is evidence of that. That's a very good average against that defense. Had they run the ball more, I think the average was more likely to go down than up.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Perhaps there needs to be a discussion about why our defense gave up 25 points in spite of the fact that it forced three turnovers. But that's not going to happen, because everybody loves our defense. And we ought to.

"Greg C." wrote:

I think the discussion is not going to happen, or at least not be very prolific, because the causation is fairly obvious. Until Woodson, Shields, and Collins went down, the defense created two turnovers and held the Steelers to 3 points. It was only after they left the game that the Steelers were able to mount a comeback.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

Perhaps there needs to be a discussion about why our defense gave up 25 points in spite of the fact that it forced three turnovers. But that's not going to happen, because everybody loves our defense. And we ought to.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I think the discussion is not going to happen, or at least not be very prolific, because the causation is fairly obvious. Until Woodson, Shields, and Collins went down, the defense created two turnovers and held the Steelers to 3 points. It was only after they left the game that the Steelers were able to mount a comeback.

"Greg C." wrote:

Oh yes, of course. I was writing fast and focusing on the offense and totally overlooked the obvious. Good catch. I hope that's the only bad part of my post.
blank
evad04
13 years ago

Late in the season, McCarthy was smart to do what Pack93z was suggesting and put more emphasis on the running game, but the running game had probably taken them about as far as it was going to take them. Against the #1 run defense in the league and a shaky secondary, I think McCarthy's play-calling mix was just about perfect, and Starks' 4.7 yards per carry is evidence of that. That's a very good average against that defense. Had they run the ball more, I think the average was more likely to go down than up.

"Greg C." wrote:

I agree with your post. The problem is, there's often a huge difference between reality and perception. Take this example from a Tony Walter Green Bay Press-Gazette article:

The flight from Dallas to Minneapolis was filled with Packers fans, and one of them was sitting next to me, decked out in all the green and gold imaginable. Naturally, I asked him how he enjoyed the game. He had two major points to make.

The first was McCarthy's play-calling left a lot to be desired. The second was the Packers special teams were far from effective and needed to be fixed. I was surprised he wasn't critical of the way Aaron Rodgers was holding the Lombardi Trophy after the game, and relieved I wasn't sitting next to the man after a 6-10 Packers season.

This die-hard on the plane, we have more than a few of him in Packer nation. By comparison, so-called "expert" analysis in the wake of the big game cites playcalling as a strength in the game. It's a distinctly "fan" thing to always take a combative position against the head coach.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
nerdmann
13 years ago
I don't see why everyone's wetting their pants over the issue.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

It's a distinctly "fan" thing to always take a combative position against the head coach.

"evad04" wrote:

That might be a bit of an exaggeration. Fans were almost uniformly approving of McCarthy's game plan after the Patriots game, and the Packers lost!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

It's a distinctly "fan" thing to always take a combative position against the head coach.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

That might be a bit of an exaggeration. Fans were almost uniformly approving of McCarthy's game plan after the Patriots game, and the Packers lost!

"evad04" wrote:

Packers win with a great defensive stand. Rourke says, "I don't trust Dom Capers, he needs to go".

I don't think it's much of an exaggeration if we through in coaches, rather than just the head coach. 😉
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (7h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (7h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (7h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (7h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (7h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (10h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (14h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (14h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.