Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I've often advised guys to take their used condoms with them -- never to leave them behind -- and as gross as that sounds, this article illustrates why.

llinois Court Rules Man Can Sue Over Deceptive Use of Sperm By Girlfriend To Impregnate Herself 
Published 1, February 1, 2011

We have been following a series of paternity cases (here and here and here and here) where courts have rejected claims of lack of consent or knowledge by a parent in forcing child support payments. I just ran over a case that, while now a bit dated, is remarkable. The case involves a Chicago doctor who was forced to pay child support after his girlfriend, without his knowledge, saved sperm from oral sex and arranged to be impregnated with it. The case came to public attention after an appellate court ruled that Dr. Richard O. Phillips could sue Dr. Sharon Irons for emotional distress in the case.

Here are the facts:

During their relationship, the parties discussed the possibility of having children only after they married. Plaintiff informed defendant he did not wish to have children prior to marriage, and intended to use a condom if and when they engaged in sexual intercourse. Defendant understood and agreed. During the entire course of their relationship, the parties engaged in intimate sexual acts three times, with two of those times occurring on the same date. Vaginal penetration never occurred; the parties engaged only in acts of oral sex. Defendant told plaintiff she did not want to have sexual intercourse due to her menses. On or around February 19, 1999, and March 19, 1999, defendant intentionally engaged in oral sex with [plaintiff] so that she could harvest [his] semen and artificially inseminate herself, and did artificially inseminate herself.

Plaintiffs complaint alleged further that in May of 1999, defendant confessed to plaintiff that she still was married to her former husband, Dr. Adebowale Adeleye. She told plaintiff she planned to get a divorce, and showed him a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, which was filed on May 20, 1999. In the petition, defendant swore she was not pregnant. The parties relationship terminated in May of 1999, upon plaintiff learning defendant was not divorced.

On November 21, 2000, defendant filed a Petition to Establish Paternity and Other Relief against plaintiff, claiming she and plaintiff had a sexual relationship eight to ten months before the birth of defendants daughter, Serena, on December 1, 1999. DNA tests have confirmed plaintiff is Serenas biological father.

In the circuit court below, Kathy M. Flanagan ruled that Irons conduct was not so extreme and outrageous to sustain a legal action by Phillips. That court was reversed after the appellate court ruled that Irons deceitfully engaged in sexual acts, which no reasonable person would expect could result in pregnancy, to use plaintiffs sperm in an unorthodox, unanticipated manner yielding extreme consequences.

While ruling that the emotional distress claim could go forward, the court ruled that he could not allege theft because the sperm technically belonged to Dr. Irons. Phillips alleged that Irons committed calculated, profound personal betrayal when she used the sperm to produce offspring. He found out about the deception two years after the child was born and tests confirmed that he was the father after paternity tests. He was ordered to pay $800 a month in child support.

What is interesting is that it is intentional infliction of emotional distress as opposed to negligent infliction. To meet that standard, he must show (1) extreme and outrageous conduct; (2) intention to inflict severe emotional distress, or know that there is at least a high probability that it will cause severe emotional distress; and (3) severe emotional distress. The court found:

Under these circumstances, even if defendant intended to accomplish only conception and procreation, she knew there was at least a high probability that her manner of so doing would inflict severe emotional distress on plaintiff. According to plaintiff, defendant was aware of his desire to have children only after marriage. Further, plaintiff believed defendant could not become pregnant, not only due to the nature of the sexual acts, but because he believed she was infertile at the time as a result of her menstrual cycle. Months later, however, defendant informed plaintiff he fathered her child. From these facts, if proved, it may be inferred reasonably that defendant knew manipulating plaintiff into unwittingly conceiving a child out of wedlock would inflict severe emotional distress. Further, contrary to defendants assertion, plaintiff is not claiming the act of filing the paternity suit itself caused him severe emotional distress; it was the result of defendants actions in their entirety.

The court agreed with Irons that she could not be charged with conversion since there was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request, or where the transaction did not create a bailment, a claim for conversion cannot be sustained.

I also found the courts holding on fraudulent misrepresentation to be interesting. It rejected the claim because []the tort of fraudulent misrepresentation historically has been limited to cases involving business or financial transactions where plaintiff has suffered a pecuniary harm . . . it is an economic tort under which one may recover only monetary damages. Neurosurgery, 339 Ill. App. 3d at 186. Therefore, plaintiff may not recover on allegations of physical and emotional distress. However, this fraud did cause financial harm given the paternity award against Phillips.

I also do not understand the basis for child support when the pregnancy was achieved artificially and without his consent or knowledge.

I have not been able to locate the current status of this case after the remand. The last published opinion was Phillips v. Irons, 354 Ill. App. 3d 1164, 2005 Ill. App. LEXIS 1807 (Ill. App. Ct. 1st Dist. 2005)

Jonathan Turley

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
A few germane comments:

[Responding to someone who wrote, I also do not understand the basis for child support when the pregnancy was achieved artificially and without his consent or knowledge.]

It is called strict liabiliy in family court, with decades of statutes and case law supporting this view. Deception is irrelevant to the issue of paternity and support. Even raping a minor male does not excuse him from financial obligations. Except for sperm donation, a male is responsible for support when the use of his sperm results in a child. Child support statutes are based on the financial situation of the parents and the needs of the child, not the personal agreements of two people.

"ishobo" wrote:

As Dr. Irons gave Dr. Phillips no consideration in return for the sperm, they were a gift, hence the property of Dr. Irons to do with as she pleased.

However, the gift from Dr. Phillips came with an undisclosed cost, and, for neglecting to fully and accurately inform Dr. Irons of the undisclosed cost of the gift, Dr. Phillips, a professional, through his negligence is fully liable; the remedy for his professional negligence being his paying child support.

And the law works as intended.

Justice accomplished.

"J. Brian Harris, Ph.D., P.E." wrote:

The law that makes the plaintiff responsible for the child in this case, and perhaps any case where deception is used, leaves me with mixed feelings. Once this legal view becomes enforced in even the most egregious circumstances, as in this case, isnt it a law that mandates males always use a birth control device?

I dont have a problem with that wisdom when used voluntarily and would insist on it in fact, but to say, use a condom or dont have sex because the law wont protect you from deception that has a long-term, life altering and expensive result is not IMO a good public policy. I see SOME equivalency, SOME similarity, with the attempt to redefine rape for the purpose of Federal payment for womens healthcare. Are not both sexs being punished for the consequences of acts which were not a matter of consent?

"lottakatz" wrote:

It would be interesting to see how the family court found this man to be the father of this child. The only way a man could protect himself from involuntary fatherhood and payment of $800 per month child support would be to use a condom even in oral sex and make sure he took the condom and contents with him. Ridiculous.

It is true that family courts bend over backwards to find someone liable for child support in the best interests of the child, but I believe this is taking it beyond the limits.

"Isabel Darcy" wrote:

Rafflaw, I assumed that the facts quoted by the Professor were the courts finding in rendering the decision. If those are the findings of fact of the court then I am disturbed that an act of fraud can be used to assign responsibility for the product of that fraud to the victim of the fraud.

It might be in societys interest to have an economic expense resulting from the fraud (the child) supported by enough relevant parties to insure that none of the burden falls on the state. It may likewise be in the best interest of the child. Even so, Im not one to put the need of the child above the simple justice of the victim to not be made to pay for their victimization as if they were a willing participant.

That is getting very close to making victims of rape pay for their victimization by prohibiting abortion and the right to give up the child for adoption.

"Lottakatz" wrote:

@Isabel Darcy

It is true that family courts bend over backwards to find someone liable for child support in the best interests of the child, but I believe this is taking it beyond the limits.

It has been this way for decades. Except for state sanctioned severing of parental rights (such as anonymous sperm donation), the designated father is financially obligated to pay child support. It does not matter if the father is a 12 year old boy raped by his teacher; a paitent in a hospital where a nurse offers oral stimulation and collects the sperm for personal use; or a man passed out at a party that has his penis made erect by manual stimulation, then inserted into a womans vagina. All are real cases where the father was forced to pay for support.

States generally assign parental rights if a man openly acknowledges an out of wedlock child as his and supports the child; the biological status is irrelevant if he later decides to end support.

This is not about mens rights or feminism, it is about a child. A man should never put himiself in a position where his sperm could be used without his knowledge. The best defense is a vasectomy.

"ishobo" wrote:

I also do not understand the basis for child support when the pregnancy was achieved artificially and without his consent or knowledge.

Best interests of the child, not the parents.

A similar fact pattern I learned 25 years ago in law school with Frank Serpico, who was duped (Im on the pill) into impregnating a woman. He fought against paying child support and lost.

"Turk" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Wow. Some of those comments just boggle my mind.

"Best interest of the child"?! Really? Any woman do does shit like that should be stripped of the child, not given the benefit of the doubt to raise the kid. SERIOUSLY!?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I love how a 12-year-old raped by his teacher is putting himself in a position where his sperm can be used.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
13 years ago
eww!
djcubez
13 years ago

I love how a 12-year-old raped by his teacher is putting himself in a position where his sperm can be used.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yea that was the most screwed up thing I read. A male child that gets raped still has to pay child support? That is seriously effed up.

So what this is saying is if some crazy chick found my recently disposed of jizz rag and decided to impregnate herself with my army of semen, I could end up paying her child support? Damn, now I'm scared to choke my chicken.
Dulak
13 years ago
ya - I also laughed at the part about the best defense is vesectomy. So does the man automatically get the child if the woman does something like any of the above things? And the man can make the woman pay for child support? ...
wow thats fucked up oral sex - save sperm and imprecnate ... how the fuck do you do that?
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
In my opinion, if in the eyes of the law the sperm becomes the woman's property after the man has deposited it, then she should be fully liable for whatever purpose she puts the sperm to and whatever consequences accrue from her use of that sperm, and the man should be absolved of any liability to which he does not explicitly consent. After all, it's no longer his property.

I'd become a lot more pro-choice if men were accorded the same degree of choice women are. If a woman is allowed by law to have sex with a man under any pretense whatsoever and yet choose whether or not she wants to keep the baby, then I think a man should also be able to choose whether or not he wants the baby. If against the man's wishes, the woman chooses to go ahead and have it anyway, the man should be able to relinquish any and all liability for the child. In addition, the woman making that choice should forfeit all privileges to welfare entitlements for the maintenance of the child. Likewise, if a man decides he does want the child, he should be able to protect his rights in the matter, in exchange for agreeing to assume all liability for the care and maintenance of the child; and he also should not be able to rely on the welfare system for its upkeep.

And no, Cheesey, such rules would not result in a massive epidemic of absentee dads. It would probably have the exact opposite effect -- reducing the incidence of out-of-wedlock births, as women would become a hell of a lot more careful about using protection if they knew they might be on the hook for an unplanned baby.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

In my opinion, if in the eyes of the law the sperm becomes the woman's property after the man has deposited it, then she should be fully liable for whatever purpose she puts the sperm to and whatever consequences accrue from her use of that sperm, and the man should be absolved of any liability to which he does not explicitly consent. After all, it's no longer his property.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Exactly my thoughts when that doucheface made that comment. Completely ignorant.

I'd become a lot more pro-choice if men were accorded the same degree of choice women are. If a woman is allowed by law to have sex with a man under any pretense whatsoever and yet choose whether or not she wants to keep the baby, then I think a man should also be able to choose whether or not he wants the baby. If against the man's wishes, the woman chooses to go ahead and have it anyway, the man should be able to relinquish any and all liability for the child. In addition, the woman making that choice should forfeit all privileges to welfare entitlements for the maintenance of the child. Likewise, if a man decides he does want the child, he should be able to protect his rights in the matter, in exchange for agreeing to assume all liability for the care and maintenance of the child; and he also should not be able to rely on the welfare system for its upkeep.

And no, Cheesey, such rules would not result in a massive epidemic of absentee dads. It would probably have the exact opposite effect -- reducing the incidence of out-of-wedlock births, as women would become a hell of a lot more careful about using protection if they knew they might be on the hook for an unplanned baby.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I can't disagree on this. Although my deal with being Pro-Life is the whole 'Baby Killing' thing.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Lesson? Always have her swallow.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (10h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (11h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (14h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (14h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.