Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Lesson Three: Your Kids' Names Are Stupid. Stop Doing That

Posted by Jenny Lawson on October 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM

This week we're exploring the many ways you can completely devastate your children by giving them terrible names. I know. Seven years ago you thought that naming your kid something unique would make them stand out, so you called her "Madison," and then everyone else named their kid Madison, and so now you're looking for a name so unique that no one else would ever choose it, except that the reason they'll never choose it is because it's stupid. You're not doing anyone any favors here.

I understand the quandary. My sister just had her fourth kid last week and she'd used up all the names she liked on the first three kids so this last one ended up with the middle name of Elora, which is a beautiful name but it's also deliberately lifted from the movie Willow. I suggested to my sister that when you're at the point when you're naming your children after characters from Val Kilmer movies, maybe it's time to stop. Then she assured me that number four was her last one because she didn't want to end up with a kid named "Goose," but that "Iceman did have a nice ring to it" and I was all "Dude. 'Iceman' is the name of that serial killer who brutally murdered hundreds of people. You know what? You aren't allowed to name children anymore." She didn't protest. Probably because she was too busy taking care of her second youngest who I'm reasonably sure was named after the main character in Twilight. Then she pointed out that I'd unintentionally given my daughter the initials "HEL" and that my own name (Jenny) is the formal definition of "a female jack-ass," so maybe I'm not really in a good position to be so damn judgmental. She has a point.

I've met a lot of people with terrible names (Jennerfer, Quntilla, and Mister are my personal favorites) but I thought I'd poll Twitter to find out which names really stuck out as being truly unfortunate to them. I want to be very clear that if you have any of these names, I am not making fun of you. I'm making fun of your parents, who might be high right now. And who you should probably be forcibly emancipated from. I asked my readers on Twitter to share the most horrific names of people they know and they did not disappoint me. Prepare yourself:

"My dad named my sisters Xena and Trinity, after fictional characters. If Trinity was a boy, he totally planned to name him Neo. He thinks The Matrix is a documentary. I share this man's DNA."

"There was a person in the San Antonio phone book in the early 80s named Weldon Rumproast."

"There was a man named Lord where I worked. It was really hard to send him emails."

"I used to work with twins called Girleen and Pearleen. GIRLEEN. AND PEARLEEN."

"Went to school with a boy whose sister's name was Babygirl' -- Mom said hospital named her."

"I had a student named Nimrod. Is that horrific enough? Probably became a badass."

"Placenta. I swear to God. That. Actually. Happened."

"I work with two sisters whose names are Ivory and Sno. Their last name is White. Because of course it is."

"At the hospital birthing my son, a girl had just named her daughter Felony. Seriously."

"A girl named T9cy graduated with my brother. Worked with a nurse that named her daughter Dysphagia (a swallowing disorder)."

"I know a mother who named her daughter Meconium ... a baby's first poo."

"I knew a guy named Hi.' Seriously, that was his given name. I never knew whether to say hi, hey, or hello when I saw him."

"I have all y'all beat. At my high school, there was a girl named Leukemia."

"Some guy on my ex-company email list is named Ho Mo."

"I ran across a gentleman whose first name was General.'"

"I knew someone named Merry Christmas Smith."

"My roommate was in kindergarten with Pajamas.'"

"There's a girl in my office named Sharmonica."

"Latrina. It's Italian for bathroom.'"

"My mom went to high school with an Asian kid named Peter Pan.' His Dad did it on purpose and thought it was funny."

"Most horrific baby name? Holden Hiscock -- no joke, real person."

"Most horrific? Mordecai BREEZEBLOCK."

"I once met two sisters named Daquiri and Brandy, but Daquiri was something like 'Dakiri,' which just made it that much worse."

"A woman working at a bank here is Nova Kane."

"I had a little girl in my preschool class named Tiereney. She was a horror ... you get what you pay for."

"First name Ashe, last name Hoal. Like Coal. Yeah."

"Most horrific: Awesome. They named their baby girl Awesome.'"

"I went to school with a Justice, Precious, Success, Fanny & a Cinderella. They're all boys."

"I've worked with more than one Queen, a few Princesses, and with Beauty, Friday, Gift, and Tractor. True as Bob."

"My mother worked with a woman named Vagina (vah-geena). Yeah. She went by Geena."

"Farquair McArthur, but it was in Scotland so everyone pronounced it FAHRK-er."

"My old janitor was named Richard Boob ... as in, Dick Boob. For a 13-year -old that was comedy gold."

"I knew a Freakus Pelekus (it rhymes) when I was growing up. No joke."

"I can do you one better. Dad's urologist was Dr. Ballcheck."

"I knew a woman named UT. She was named for the University of Texas."

"I know a kid named Master. When I met him, all I could think was, Oh God, what if he wants to join debate club?'"

"Taught swimming to a kid named Carstairs.' On a related note, am thinking Boatgarage' for next baby."

"I know a guy named David who named his son Harley, so when asked to identify himself, he could say, Harley, David's son'."

"Horrific: Shamontreal after 'the country in Canada.' Knowing the mom, it's impressive she knew Canada & Montreal were related. She had a sister named Shantartica."

"Went to school with a girl named Marijuana Pepsi Jackson.'"

"I had a woman who applied at my bookstore who was named Sparkle.' Really. I can't make that shit up."

"My favorite aunt: Leotha Zola Slagowski. Awesome."

"Dorcus Wang."

"My great-aunt Bubba's christened name was Beulah Wonderbell."

"We had a student named Yhorhighness (your highness) and his sister was Urmajesty (your majesty) at my last school."

"Have relatives (siblings) named Ronya, Donya, Tonya, Sonya, and Rocky. #wtf"

"We had a kid named Whoopi Vasquez in class once."

"Most horrific name would have to be a guy my wife knew in KY named Turley. Horrific because his last name was Curd."

"I knew a T. She was a police officer in Georgia. She had a sister named Q."

"My friend's mom is a OB nurse. How about 'Heavenly Angle'? Yes, they were informed of the typo. Kept it."

"Oh, I can beat that. Ready? My friend met a woman at the bus stop whose daughter's name was ... wait for it ... ATROCITY."

"My cousin named her child Nemesis.' Yeah. Nice."

"When I was pregnant NYT ran an article on bad names that included 'Ogre,' but the worst I've met was in son's class: Anomaly.'"

"My little Bro went to school with a girl named Cholera."

"Friend of a friend is named Guy Richard Sack."

"I have a cuz named Dub. Full name? W. Youngest of several, all starting with W. They ran out of names. Welcome to the Ozarks!"

"Knew a kid in HS named Scooby. His mom was still looped on demerol when she named him."

"I work with a girl named Chattara. Like the Thundercat."

"Worst ever? Ex husband went to school with a Titsalina. Her last name was Belmsquatch. Swear. To. God."

"My great grandfather's given name was Doctor, middle name Lumpkin. Did they call him Doc? Nope. They called him Lump."

"I also met a kid named 'Doctor' after the Dr. who delivered him. I think the MD didn't want Mom to have his real name."

"Friend worked with a woman whose daughter's name was Menageatrois. I shit you not."

"There was a little boy named Trailer at a party my kid was attending. Left me speechless."

"Guy at my office is named 'Kshitz.' Another is called 'Semen.' Not kidding."

"I used to work with a guy who had his name legally changed to Mister Ooh-la-la.' No joke. He was on Springer once."

"The star football player at my son's HS last year was named SirGregory. That was his first name. SirGregory."

"One of my college roomies was 'dahaisy' -- pronounced just the way it's spelled, 3 syllables. Fail."

"When I was in high school I wanted to name my daughter Tether. Thank goodness I got a dictionary before I got a baby."

"I went to college with a girl named Tackila. I assumed it was pronounced tak-eye-lah. She corrected me. It was Tequila."

"I know a guy named 'F.' (True story.) His parents were minimalists."

"We have a family friend named Cash Register."

"Decision. Satchel. Delicious. Luxurious. ALL TRUE. Luxurious was a boy."

"I knew a girl named Spontanious -- spelled like that. No good."

"I have a student named Joytotheworld. No lie. That's her first name."

"My father taught a girl named Travesty. I wonder if her mother owned a dictionary."

"I had an aunt named Genitalia. We called her Aunt Gen."

"I went to school with a guy named 84. As in the number 84. His middle name was South.'"

"I know a guy named Potato Chips.' He showed me his passport."

UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
13 years ago
i know a guy named Jack Knauf - seriously!

and i'll never forget opening a new account for a guy who's first name was Philarious...hilarious, eh?

oh & then there's Harry Nutter - seriously!

when i picked names for the boys, i wanted them short & simple.
cole & cory are normal, right? 🙂
Since69
13 years ago
Semi-related (and profanity-laced...)

[youtube]oo8CrY_ZfFk[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Ha! I was just going to say, "I don't think George Carlin would like Cory and Cole too much." Nice job.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
LOL @ Carlin. Not that I agree with him, but he's still a funny, funny man.

Those names in the OP were pretty horrendous. What's funny is we just watched Boondock Saints last night and I just love Rocco as a name. Not that I'd name my kids that (I already have them picked out), but Rocco is a bad ass (nick)name.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Since69
13 years ago
I actually served onboard ship with a guy named Little Joe. He showed me his birth certificate: first name "Little", middle name "Joe".

Thing was... he was 5' 0" and weighed about 100 pounds...
UserPostedImage
croxeye
13 years ago
One of my classmates in middle school was named Ben Dover. No joke.
blank
Porforis
13 years ago
Sorry, this one has them all beat.

http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/stf33/public/stf33birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h33-440 

Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K
TOPackerFan
13 years ago
My mother has a friend named Gaye Barr (admittedly, Gaye had a different meaning at the time she was named) and also friends named Bunny Peter and Jack Rabbitt.

Do you think kids nowadays get made fun of for having the name Steve?
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
djcubez
13 years ago
Both of these are actual names.

In class a the teacher saw a name spelled on the attendance sheet as "La-a." "Is La-ah here?" she asked. No one responded. She then read out the spelling of the name and girl responded "It's Ladasha!" Wow.

And then there was the guy whose name was spelled just "X." But his name was actually "Ten." lol
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (3h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (19h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (20h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (23h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (23h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.