wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Packers report: Strategy and personnel
The Sports Xchange 

Head coach Mike McCarthy took some vacation time after meeting with his coordinators in the days following the Super Bowl XLV victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Feb. 6.

When work resumes Feb. 21, McCarthy will spend a few days conducting job evaluations with his other assistant coaches before full attention is given to the NFL Scouting Combine, which starts Feb. 24 in Indianapolis.

Once there, McCarthy could be holding some job interviews. The Packers need a receivers coach after Jimmy Robinson was hired Feb. 11 as assistant head coach/receivers coach with the Dallas Cowboys.

OFFSEASON STRATEGY
If and when a new collective-bargaining agreement for the league comes to light, the Packers face the prospect of having as many as 11 players on their Super Bowl XLV-winning roster become unrestricted free agents.

The tentative list includes five primary starters from the past season - defensive end Cullen Jenkins, safety Charlie Peprah, left guard Daryn Colledge, halfback Brandon Jackson and fullback John Kuhn - as well as receiver James Jones, kicker Mason Crosby, fullback Korey Hall, safety Atari Bigby, center/guard Jason Spitz and linebacker Matt Wilhelm.

Jenkins, who tied for second on the team with a career-high 7.5 sacks (including the playoffs), expressed some doubt after the season ended that he would remain with the team. He was upset that Packers management didn't sign him to a contract extension during the season.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Kick returner: This was the weak link of the Super Bowl champions, who rolled through four players on kickoffs with subpar results. The Packers last had a kickoff return for a touchdown in 2000. What's more, Tramon Williams wasn't dynamic on punt returns and is too valuable as a top cornerback to pull double duty.

2. Defensive end: The team could have a big void in the starting lineup if effective pass rusher Cullen Jenkins leaves as a prospective free agent. Aging Ryan Pickett is the other starting end. So, the Packers, for now, are banking on talented Mike Neal, a second-round draft pick last year, and possibly Justin Harrell, the disappointing first-round choice in 2007, to return from season-ending injuries.

3. Offensive tackle: Green Bay identified a successor to left tackle Chad Clifton when it took Bryan Bulaga in the first round last year. Bulaga, though, settled in at right tackle after replacing an injured Mark Tauscher early in the season. Clifton probably is good for one more season, but the Packers must zero in on having their right tackle of the future once the time comes to move Bulaga to his natural spot.

4. Running back: The late-season emergence of rookie James Starks, who rushed for 315 yards in the playoffs, sets up an intriguing battle with incumbent Ryan Grant for the starting role entering next season. The unknown is whether Grant, 28, will be back to his old form as a productive runner after suffering a season-ending ankle injury on opening day. Also, dependable backup Brandon Jackson is a prospective free agent.

MEDICAL WATCH

Inside linebacker A.J. Hawk was the only player who was scheduled to undergo some type of surgical work shortly after the team's Super Bowl XLV win over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Feb. 6. Hawk, who didn't miss a game and posted a team-high 134 tackles, needed an arthroscopic procedure for a wrist injury that plagued him late in the season. Three players who sustained significant injuries in the Super Bowl - cornerback Charles Woodson (broken collarbone) and receivers Donald Driver (ankle and knee sprains) and Jordy Nelson (bruised bursa sac in knee) - were expected to recover in the short term.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
It's interesting that outside linebacker is not mentioned as a team need. Or maybe it just means that these folks didn't do their homework.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

The Packers last had a kickoff return for a touchdown in 2000.

"wpr" wrote:

And yet the Packers trail only the Patriots in number of winning seasons since the advent of free agency (13 winning seasons, 2 losing seasons, 2 seasons at .500).

The "need" for a home-run returner is grossly exaggerated, especially by this article, which places it No. 1. Returns for touchdowns stick in people's memories because they're so spectacular to watch and so rare. But their actual statistical impact on a season is insignificant -- unless, of course, a team has a record-setting returner and rides his back to the Super Bowl, but how many times has that happened in league history again?

The Packers would be far better served shoring up their offensive line, secondary, and linebacking corps, perhaps adding a luxury piece to their receiving corps, and adding some guys who know how to tackle on special teams than wasting a draft pick on a potential burner.

With the exception of the Bears' Super Bowl run, most of the teams with spectacular returners that I can think of haven't been all that great. Plus all the media attention on Hester has arguably distracted the Bears from patching other glaring holes on their roster.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

...perhaps adding a luxury piece to their receiving corps...

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Such as?...... Randy Moss? :D

EDIT!!!: :sarcasm:
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
I agree that the article overemphasizes the need for a return man. While it is the most obvious weakness on the team, it is far from the most important one. It's hard to draft a good return man anyway. For whatever reason, it is hard to predict how a good college returner will do in the NFL.

At the very least, though, I would like to see Tramon Williams get out of the punt return business, and at the same time I would like to see somebody on the roster who has a clue how to return kickoffs. Maybe somebody will emerge from the lower half of the roster. A late round pick could be used for a returner, though Thompson and Sherman have both swung and missed when they've tried to do that in the past.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Such as?...... Randy Moss? :D

"peteralan71" wrote:

Exactly like that!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago

I agree that the article overemphasizes the need for a return man. While it is the most obvious weakness on the team, it is far from the most important one. It's hard to draft a good return man anyway. For whatever reason, it is hard to predict how a good college returner will do in the NFL.

At the very least, though, I would like to see Tramon Williams get out of the punt return business, and at the same time I would like to see somebody on the roster who has a clue how to return kickoffs. Maybe somebody will emerge from the lower half of the roster. A late round pick could be used for a returner, though Thompson and Sherman have both swung and missed when they've tried to do that in the past.

"Greg C." wrote:

Some excellent college returners have effectively transitioned to the NFL (DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin, Javier Arenas), but these guys were usually very effective offensive or defensive guys as well. The guys who were strictly returners (Corey Rogers), usually can't justify a spot.

I also wouldn't mind making a play for Leon Washington. He could be our third down back and designated return man. He's also a really high character guy that fits the "Packer people" persona we love so much.

It may be prudent to taking a flyer on Noel Devine in the 4th round. The kid is tiny as hell, but can absolutely FLY.
millertime
13 years ago

It's interesting that outside linebacker is not mentioned as a team need. Or maybe it just means that these folks didn't do their homework.

"Greg C." wrote:

OLB is a very interesting position right now in GB. We have one of the best players in the league in Clay Matthews. Opposite of him we have a couple options:

1. Frank Zombo
2. Erik Walden
3. Brad Jones
4. Brady Poppinga
5. Brandon Chillar (our only ILB that can also play outside)

The first three guys have all proven that they can play OLB in the 3-4. They all have been inconsistent, but I have to believe that McCarthy/Thompson expects at least one of these guy to elevate his game to next level.

Poppinga is done. Great effort guy, but I don't think he's athletic enough to play on special teams, and his contract isn't justifiable anymore.

The only way all our ILBs remain on the team is if Chillar is moved outside.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

The Packers last had a kickoff return for a touchdown in 2000.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

And yet the Packers trail only the Patriots in number of winning seasons since the advent of free agency (13 winning seasons, 2 losing seasons, 2 seasons at .500).

The "need" for a home-run returner is grossly exaggerated, especially by this article, which places it No. 1. Returns for touchdowns stick in people's memories because they're so spectacular to watch and so rare. But their actual statistical impact on a season is insignificant -- unless, of course, a team has a record-setting returner and rides his back to the Super Bowl, but how many times has that happened in league history again?

The Packers would be far better served shoring up their offensive line, secondary, and linebacking corps, perhaps adding a luxury piece to their receiving corps, and adding some guys who know how to tackle on special teams than wasting a draft pick on a potential burner.

With the exception of the Bears' Super Bowl run, most of the teams with spectacular returners that I can think of haven't been all that great. Plus all the media attention on Hester has arguably distracted the Bears from patching other glaring holes on their roster.

"wpr" wrote:

Exactly. As I was reading your post I was thinking about how mediocre the Bears have been even with Hester.
Sex sells and it is "sexy" to watch some one run a kick back. The average person doesn't care about the mundane part of the game. The linemen blocking. The defensive back covering a receiver so well that the ball is not thrown that direction. The LB making a tackle for a only a 3 yard gain. But those are the plays that are make 20-30 times a game that will win the game. The kick return for 45-50 yards only happens once a game, maybe. But everyone talks about it and remembers it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

I was wondering that myself. That is why I posted so many choices on the mock draft page. I was trying to get a variety.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (13h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (14h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (17h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (17h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.